Practical Strategies for Meeting the Rigorous COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS for WRITING
Presented by Greg Denman
Classroom-Proven Strategies for Meeting Common Core State Standards for Writing in Grades 3-5: Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Outstanding, classroom-proven strategies to help your students meet or exceed the skills and applications specified in the Common Core State Standards for writing in grades 3-5
- Highly effective ideas for using “mentor texts” and student “exemplary papers” with CCSS’s text-types, including argument/opinion, informational/explanatory, narrative, and “writing from sources”
- Dozens of valuable models, lessons and activities to differentiate your instruction for all levels of learners
- Practical ways to manage a writing program that addresses different writing types and genres, as well as writing across the curriculum
- Highly effective techniques for developing your students’ editing and proofreading skills
- Apps, websites, displays, models, student samples and a comprehensive resource handbook with “ready-to-use-the-next-day” materials – all designed specifically for grades 3-5 students!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Consider the following statements and check any that directly apply to you and your classroom:
- Too many kids; too many papers; too many meetings; and not enough time!
- I want practical strategies to align my writing instruction with the skills students need to meet the Common Core State Standards.
- I need shortcuts to get positive results from my students with different types of writing and genres – not more paperwork.
- I want to invigorate and enliven my writing instruction with activities that will truly engage my students.
If you have checked any of these statements then this seminar is designed to meet your needs! During this valuable fast-paced day, Greg Denman will give you numerous practical and usable ideas, methods and materials to integrate into your writing instruction.
Knowing how all teachers are faced with an already overloaded curriculum, Greg will show you some of the best shortcuts to streamline your writing instruction while enabling your students to consistently meet or exceed the rigor of all text-types required by the Common Core State Standards. You will take home a wealth of proven instructional methods, ready-to-use apps, websites, handouts, and motivating student resources. You’ll leave at the end of the day with an abundance of practical ideas and materials you can use with your students and a renewed enthusiasm for teaching them the essential writing skills they need to succeed.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Students Meet or Exceed the Rigorous Common Core State Standards in Writing for Grades 3-5
Outstanding strategies to address the scope and range of mechanical/grammatical skills specified by Common Core State Standards … Proven ways to teach the writing skills your students need
- Focus on Narrative, Informational/Explanatory, and Argument/Opinion Writing
Learn how to target your writing instruction on the centerpieces of the Common Core State Standard’s text types … Effective techniques to help all your students plan, develop and organize their content with each type of writing
- Accelerate Your Struggling Writers’ Skills
Discover skill-building methods that will step up your struggling students’ success with vocabulary, language and basic writing skills … Increase students’ opportunities to meet the Common Core State Standards
- Use “Mentor Texts” and “Exemplary Papers” as Instructional Tools in Your Classroom
Discover how “mentor texts” and “exemplary papers” can significantly improve your students’ writing proficiencies … Receive a wealth of examples and proven ideas for using them in your classroom
- Teach Students How to Write for Different Purposes, Genres and Audiences Across the Curriculum
See how you can easily integrate proven, high-quality writing instruction comfortably into all your subjects … Provide increased opportunities to help your students meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards
- Put the Writing Process in Action!
Receive ready-to-use materials and learn techniques to actively engage your students with the writing process … Discover Practice Prompts, Writing Excursions, Graphic Organizers, Writers’ Checklists, and Rubrics that work!
- Learn Strategies to Help Your Students Respond to Writing Prompts
Help students become “experts” at reading and responding to a wide variety of writing prompts … Receive a wealth of practice prompts you can use immediately
- Sharpen Your Students’ Editing and Proofreading Skills
Learn innovative, time-saving techniques to enable all students to become increasingly adept with the tasks of editing and proofreading … Discover painless ways to make this happen using strategies your students will actually enjoy
- Move Your Students from Passive to Excited Writers
Take home a variety of exciting, motivating writing activities that are guaranteed to enthuse your students … 3, 2, 1 Paragraph Styling, Attribute Poems, Are-Like Lines, Mathematical Snapper-Clappers, Word Mastery Sheets, Hyphenated-Hound Dog Images, and many more
- Lessen Your Paper Load
Explore materials and routines that make your teaching of writing not only more manageable for you, but stimulating for your students … See how incorporating Color Paragraph Mobiles and Kinesthetic Vocabulary can help you maintain a lively learning environment without taking more time
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, research-based strategies to help your grades 3-5 students meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards for writing
- Exciting new apps, websites and online resources to motivate young writers
- Proven methods for teaching the CCSS’stext-types: Narrative, Informational/Explanatory, and Argument (Opinion)
- Instructional strategies and techniques to significantly boost students’ skills and confidence in writing
- Revision, editing, and proofreading ideas for all your students … Essential skills to help your students meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards
- Best techniques for using “mentor texts” and “exemplary papers” in your classroom
- Effective methods for strengthening the vocabulary development and word choice of your students
- Engaging activities that motivate students to want to write and write well in all subject areas
- Highly effective ways to help your grades 3-5 students move through the writing process effectively
- New and useful graphic organizers for students to use when they are assembling and organizing information and generating language for a written piece
- Creative ideas for engaging and exciting your “I-can’t-and-don’t-like-to-write” students
- Timesaving techniques to cut back on your paper load!
- Exciting activities to immerse and integrate writing instruction across the curriculum, throughout the year
- Helpful suggestions for getting parents to help their students with writing at home
- Classroom visual materials and routines that can enliven your writing instruction while actively engaging your students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It is an exciting and challenging time for all of us as educators. As we work to prepare our students to acquire the skills and knowledge specified by the Common Core State Standards, we all are looking for– to put it as succinctly as possible – WHAT WORKS!
This new seminar addresses exactly that: WHAT WORKS in teaching the writing skills our students need to master. During our fast-paced day together, it will be my pleasure to share a wealth of proven ideas and strategies for guiding your students to become increasingly independent, productive and skilled writers. I will share with you the outstanding tips and tools that have worked for me and countless other teachers in grades 3-5. Every strategy I present has been used and refined with students just like yours. You will return to your classroom with a renewed sense of confidence and dozens of instructional strategies that really work.
Here is a sample of some of the items we will focus on throughout the day:
- Easy-to-implement strategies and methods to accelerate your students’ growth in writing and their ability to meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards
- Fun, engaging activities to enliven your writing workshops
- Mentor texts and exemplars to use immediately with your students
- Techniques for motivating your less-than-motivated students
- Timesaving ideas for organizing and directing your writing instruction
- Hands-on materials for writing in different genres and across the curriculum
- And much, much, more…
Please join me and other teachers for a fast-paced and engaging day. I guarantee that it will be time well spent. I look forward to our day together.
P.S. You will also receive an extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, apps, websites, models, and instructional strategies you can use immediately!.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step writing lessons and activities ready to implement in your classroom
- Outstanding rubrics and writing guides ready to duplicate and use with grades 3-5 students
- A sample of writing prompts aligned with the Common Core State Standards
- Must-have materials for student writing folders
- Examples of “mentor texts” and grade-leveled “exemplary papers”
- A bibliography of fiction and nonfiction books to use with your writing instruction
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in aligning their writing instruction with the Common Core standards.
Greg Denman will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own writing instruction.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.