This online course features reading specialist and national presenter Kristen Large as she shares targeted intervention strategies to help struggling readers. The course includes the following topics: assessing students, early literacy, phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency. Each topic is thoroughly discussed while providing dozens of strategies that can be adapted for various reading levels. Kristen shares practical and effective ways to help struggling readers develop their reading skills. She focuses on how to minimize paperwork but maximize instructional impact. The course includes a digital folder of resources which includes: editable open-ended forms, diagnostic assessment forms, data collection forms, activity print-outs, and more.
You will learn how to:
- Use targeted interventions to better meet the needs of your struggling readers
- Incorporate teaching strategies as targeted interventions to help your struggling readers develop their early literacy skills
- Accelerate the reading achievement of your struggling readers by using quick, highly effective to assess, document, and inform instruction for struggling readers
- Use provided assessment tools and instructional strategies to enhance your teaching of vocabulary
- Utilize comprehension strategies to help your struggling readers develop deeper levels of understanding
- Rapidly increase skills by building on success, on step at a time
- Boost your struggling readers’ confidence and skills by focusing on what they can already do
- Teach your struggling readers how to apply reading tools and strategies that can help them build fluency and further their reading success
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"Kristin's presentation was excellent! I'm excited to implement her strategies with my students!"
- C. Killion
"Wow! This course is packed full of ideas that I can begin using today. The explanations were easy to comprehend and to implement."
- S. Ramsier
"She gave many great ideas that will allow the students to be evaluated and have fun at the same time. Presenter was very knowledgeable."
- K. Mazur
"Kristen Large is a very dynamic presenter! She provided many ready to use activities and very relevant information for all teachers (both specialists and classroom teachers). I really appreciated the way the video segments were organized. The short meaningful video segments were thought provoking and extremely well filmed and presented by Kristen. I learned many new ideas to try with my struggling readers as a reading specialist! "
- C. Hensley
"I really enjoyed this course and the presenter- Kristen Large. I thought the strategies were great and she discussed things that could be used with children of various ages. The progress monitoring sheets she provided along with the additional resources will be great! I feel like I have some new strategies to use with my students that will be engaging while supporting their learning."
- M. Petrevski