This video-based professional development course demonstrates how to engage middle and high school students in a well-managed, highly productive first day of class; establish key classroom routines to maximize daily learning, and implement proactive strategies and techniques that create positive classroom environments and minimize misbehavior.
Secondary teachers prevent many behavior problems and set a positive, productive tone for the school year in the way they establish classroom management routines and clarify expectations at the beginning of the school year.
You will learn how to:
- Make best use of the first day of class to set a positive tone and establish high expectations for student attitudes and behaviors
- Establish and reinforce management routines and procedures to gain more time for teaching and learning
- Initiate positive relationships with students using simple, straightforward strategies
- Clearly communicate classroom rules in ways that increase student cooperation and compliance
- Minimize conflicts between students by establishing a cooperative, learning-focused classroom environment
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"Very informative and helpful. The short and simple videos plus the action plan reflection time was very useful and helped to facilitate teacher learning and ideas for implementing the provided ideas/strategies."
– R. Hancock
"I thought the course was very beneficial to my everyday engagement with students. Helping the students empower themselves is important."
– R. Blakeman
"There were a lot of good ideas. I have been teaching for over 20 years and still found items that will be useful in setting up my classroom."
– C. Sutcliffe
"This was a very good on-line course. The supporting resources and the indication to complete them was very beneficial."
– P. Yarick
"This course helped me really to dig deep into revising my classroom expectations."
– E. Oxley
"Nice tools to use."
– R. Beckner