This online course features innovative, highly experienced and current social studies teacher, Chris Lange as he shares his favorite and most effective strategies for teaching social studies. The course begins by looking at literacy strategies, specifically: vocabulary, note-taking and summarizing strategies to help your students acquire new content efficiently and effectively. Another major focus is on content delivery strategies, which includes a range of resources, tech tools, and methods to keep your students engaged and motivated while still covering ample amounts of social studies content. Additionally, Chris shares dozens of problem-based learning strategies to help your students analyze complex social studies themes and topics through inquiry, technology, research, and discovery. The entire course is infused with ways to optimize your students' learning and ways to increase the impact your social studies instruction, regardless of what content you teach. The course includes access to a digital folder of resources including: editable templates, ready-to-use forms, how-to videos, examples of student work, relevant websites, and more.
You will learn how to:
- Increase the impact of your social studies curriculum by connecting it to the 21st century learner
- Incorporate literacy strategies with your students to deepen their understanding of social studies content
- Increase your students' understanding of complex material by using a variety of proven and easily-adapted content delivery strategies
- Help your students develop analytical skills by integrating problem-based learning in your social studies classroom
- Boost content acquisition and overall student engagement by adapting and applying a collection of content delivery strategies
- Personalize learning to optimize each student's learning and increase their academic achievement beyond the social studies classroom
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"The presenter was amazing! He had so many good things that I want to try and implement in the classroom."
- V. Mahfood
"Very informative. Not only did it provide new activities but also brought up ones I currently use. Having those brought to light was encouraging and helpful as Mr. Lange was able to provide a new perspective on it. "
- P. Bracho
"The course provided so much information to help engage the students and make social studies topics real to them. Using the tools of inquiry I want to provide meaningful projects for the students. Many of the graphic organizers and online tools will be an asset in my classroom. Students need to be responsible for their own learning. I have gained many ideas to use in my classroom."
- D. Fyffe
"I really liked the different ideas presented-especially about vocabulary because that is the most difficult for my students. I started the year out using a couple strategies and they worked very well for my classes."
- J. Eaton
"I thought Chris did a great job keeping everyone engaged. Many times these courses are boring but he did a good job keeping it interesting and relevant to history teachers."
- J. Proper
"I loved how he gave examples of how he used it in the class. I love how he labeled where to find information in his handouts to guide your attention to the proper place. He really knows his stuff! "
- K. Trent