CO-TEACHING THAT WORKS: Powerful Strategies to Accelerate Student Success in Today's Inclusive Classrooms
Presented by Petra Nelson
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12: General Education Teachers, Special Education Staff, ELL Teachers, and Other Specialists Who Currently Co-Teach or Plan to Co-Teach as Part of Their Schools’ Inclusive Practices
- The most up-to-date approaches and best practices to strengthen your co-taught classroom
- Dozens of practical co-teaching strategies to increase the success of students with diverse learning needs
- Highly effective co-teaching strategies that provide maximum benefits and help your students make greater gains from every co-taught lesson
- Timesaving ways to select the most appropriate co-teaching strategies to meet individual students’ academic and behavioral needs
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Co-teaching has become an ever more important way to provide the necessary supports for diverse learners with special needs. At the same time, many co-teachers struggle to determine the best ways to go about supporting their students’ needs using the latest co-teaching models, strategies and approaches. In this seminar, you will learn how to identify the most appropriate co-teaching strategies to more rapidly increase student success. Experienced special education teacher and outstanding national presenter, PETRA NELSON will share a comprehensive approach to co-teaching to help you strengthen co-teaching partnerships and accelerate student achievement. Explore practical ways to enhance collaboration, co-planning, co-instructing, and co-assessing to maximize the impact of your co-taught classroom. You will leave with dozens of practical, effective strategies and an extensive resource handbook to help you better meet the needs of students in your co-taught classroom. Because co-teaching is a partnership, teaching teams are encouraged to attend.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Create Powerful Co-Teaching Partnerships
Learn the crucial components of effective co-teaching relationships … Gain practical ideas to develop powerful instructional teams that better promote student success
- Ensure that Both Teachers are Fully Utilized
Discover the best co-teaching models to make co-teachers feel valued and useful … Maximize the instructional impact of both teachers
- Establish Effective Co-planning Strategies
Create lesson plans that incorporate co-teaching models, student supports and effective instructional strategies
- Improve Your Co-teaching Partnership to Better Support All Students
Increase the effectiveness of both co-teachers’ efforts in the classroom to better meet the needs of your students with special needs … Explore a variety of highly effective co-teaching approaches and strategies
- Maintain High Expectations in Your Co-Taught Classroom
Utilize innovative ways to keep the focus on rigor and relevance in your co-taught classroom while providing more supportive instruction for students
- Embed Specially Designed Instruction into Your Co-Teaching
Explore practical specially designed instructional strategies and ideas perfect for the highly effective co-taught classroom
- Boost Student Learning and Active Involvement
Greatly Increase continual student engagement through the effective use of co-teaching anchor routines, supports and instructional strategies
- Provide the Most Appropriate Accommodations and Modifications
Timesaving, collaborative and problem-solving techniques to provide quality accommodations and modifications in your co-taught classes … Numerous, doable strategies that increase learning for students with special needs
- Discover Practical Ideas for Navigating Common Co-Teaching Issues
Creatively solve common issues surrounding co-teaching schedules, planning and parity … Explore innovative ways to address these common co-teaching issues to ensure effective instruction for your students with special needs
- Receive an Extensive Co-Teaching Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook developed specifically for this seminar to help you implement all the strategies presented in your own co-taught classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Up-to-date co-teaching strategies with current practices and variations to strengthen your co-taught learning environment
- Proven ways to boost student learning and active involvement in a co-taught classroom
- Essential tips for getting the most from flexible groups, parallel and station teaching
- The best co-teaching models and approaches to maximize learning outcomes across varied, specific situations
- Ways to more successfully manage the challenges you and your co-teacher face every day
- How to vary your co-teaching instruction to go well beyond one teacher providing the majority of instruction while the other teacher is in a supportive role
- Effective ways to divide instruction responsibilities between teachers
- Proactive co-teaching strategies to increase student engagement and decrease behavior problems
- Innovative ideas for incorporating students’ specially designed instruction into effective co-taught lessons
- Essential ideas for quality collaborations and effective communication with your co-teaching partner
- Practical solutions for challenges with co-planning, progress monitoring, meeting academic expectations and balancing professional roles in the co-taught classroom
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Co-teaching is a proven strategy for ensuring the opportunity for every student to be successful. In my years as a special education teacher, I have personally witnessed the power of co-teaching to help students with special needs thrive academically and behaviorally. Co-teaching provides an approach that is powerful, evidence-based, and impactful – which is great news for our students and given the ever-increasing demands on our time and resources.
I am excited to share with you outstanding, practical ways to establish or enhance your co-taught partnership and instruction. I want to help you accelerate the progress of students in your co-taught classroom to maximize their success. During this unique seminar, my goal is to provide you with numerous strategies you can immediately incorporate into your practice. I want to share practical, timesaving ways to increase your impact on students’ academic and behavioral achievement in the co-taught classroom.
The emphasis will be on effective ways of determining appropriate co-teaching models, planning for instruction, and assessing students. Actively explore evidence-based instructional co-teaching practices that will support and accelerate student learning and strengthen the impact of your co-taught instruction. Learn practical ways to increase students’ engagement and responsibility for their own learning. Gain outstanding, proven strategies for accelerating the progress of your students in a co-taught setting.
Join your colleagues and me in this fast-paced day designed specifically for co-teachers. You will leave this seminar excited, refreshed, and ready to implement highly effective practices and ideas to make a marked difference in the lives of the students you serve.
Petra Nelson, Ed.D.
P.S. You will leave this seminar with many practical techniques and strategies designed to help you better collaborate with your co-teaching partner and support the success of your students.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12: General Education Teachers, Special Education Staff, ELL Teachers, and Other Specialists Who Currently Co-Teach or Plan to Co-Teach as Part of Their Schools’ Inclusive Practices
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical instructional strategies for implementation in co-taught settings
- A host of co-teaching resources, including descriptions of critical co-teaching components
- Instructional strategies on differentiation in a co-taught classroom
- Tips, ideas and templates for effective co-teaching lesson planning
- Assessment ideas for effectively evaluating students, partnerships and your co-teaching program
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in best practices in co-teaching.
Petra Nelson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own co-teaching program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.