101 Most Powerful Strategies to Enhance SOCIAL STUDIES Instruction (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Glenn Wiebe
Specifically Designed for History/Social Studies Teachers Working with Students in Grades 6-12, Social Studies Coordinators and Administrators
- 101 highly effective, research-based strategies, activities and resources to strengthen student learning in your social studies classroom
- Practical lessons, examples and tools designed to amplify your instruction, spark curiosity and increase student application of new content – no matter which social studies courses you teach
- Make best use of free Google Tools to enhance social studies instruction
- Proven activities across social studies content and grade levels 6-12
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this powerful seminar designed specifically for social studies teachers, experienced social studies teacher and outstanding presenter, Glenn Wiebe, will share 101 new and innovative tools, techniques, and resources for making your social studies classes the motivating, engaging learning environment students will look forward to every day – regardless of their abilities and interests. Glenn will share practical, creative, classroom-ready strategies, activities and resources that will get your students more actively involved, strengthen their motivation, and significantly deepen their understanding of social studies content.
You’ll leave with dozens of ready-to-use ideas that can be integrated the very next day in your own classroom – no matter what social studies content you teach. These strategies can easily be differentiated or scaffolded to meet the needs of your diverse learners.
You’ll leave this seminar equipped with new and innovative techniques to help your students better connect to the real world, proven ways to make better use of the technology tools they need and practical ways to develop the critical thinking and problem solving strategies required for success once they leave your class.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- 101 of the Best Strategies to Greatly Enhance Your Social Studies Program
Discover the best strategies, lessons, activities, and resources designed specifically to strengthen your grades 6-12 social studies program … Receive a wealth of outstanding, practical ideas and techniques – no matter what social studies content you teach
- Deliver Lessons Designed to Increase Student Success
Learn how to create and deliver lessons to counter past learning loss and build prior knowledge.
- Establish an Academic Culture that Supports the Critical Use of Primary Sources and Other Pieces of Evidence
Uncover effective methods for increasing students’ ability to collect, organize and analyze evidence needed to solve problems … Expand their ability to sift and select evidence from multiple sites and sources
- Make Best Use of Free Google Tools to Enhance Social Studies Instruction
Learn methods for enhancing your content, instruction, and student learning through a variety of free Google Tools … Magnify the work you do and free up valuable time by incorporating Drive, Jamboard, My Maps, Keep, and other Google Tools
- Unpack the Inquiry Design Model Design Tool to Support High Levels of Questioning
Walk away with tools for integrating the IDM structure, perfect for creating brainbased learning activities
- Create a Passion for “Doing” Social Studies and Solving Problems
Social studies is so much more than dates and places … Use the research-based inquiry model to generate student excitement around the process of uncovering history
- Develop Powerful Reading, Writing and Communication Skills in Your Students
Explore unique and practical strategies to ensure your social studies students develop the skills needed to succeed when they step out of your classroom … Leave with ready-to-use notetaking, summarizing, research, and writing activities and tools
- Connect Your Social Studies Classroom to the Real World
Discover effective ways to inject relevant experiences that link contemporary issues to your social studies content … Learn proven strategies to help students make connections through inquiries and discoveries
- Break Away from Traditional Assessments and Discover Problem and Passion-Based Learning
Think about assessments in a new way and discover innovative strategies that work, no matter what content you teach … Develop motivating new ways to encourage and engage your students through the use of real-world, authentic problems
- Receive an Extensive Digital Social Studies Resource Handbook
You will walk away with a comprehensive digital resource handbook packed with 101 outstanding strategies, activities and resources designed to greatly enhance your grades 6-12 social studies program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly engaging, easy-to-implement strategies, activities, and resources to strengthen your social studies program
- Practical ideas for integrating competency-based activities
- “Crop it” and “window frame” techniques for unlocking the power of primary sources
- Textual and visual discrepant event inquiry activities that build students’ questioning abilities
- Innovative techniques for using board and video games to deliver social studies content and provide formative assessment data
- Dynamic discussion?leading strategies that help students better articulate their positions and connect learning to their lives
- Innovative ideas and activities for integrating literacy skills that will strengthen the reading, writing and communication skills students need in social studies
- High-interest, high-impact strategies that build students’ historical thinking skills
- Engaging writing prompts that hook students and lead to improved communication skills
- Thinking routine strategies guaranteed to develop evidence analysis expertise
- Timesaving tips and tricks using free Google resources to enhance your students’ learning
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The traditional social studies lessons and strategies that we’ve used for years need a 21st Century update. Our students are entering a vastly different political, social, and economic environment than even ten years ago. They are asking for and require a different set of skills to be successful in today’s local, state, national, and global communities. All of these changes make our task as a social studies teacher more important than ever.
My goal is to share some of the best classroom-tested strategies, tools, and resources that you can use immediately to enhance your teaching and increase student learning. All are classroom-tested and ready-to-use with your own students. In this seminar, I will share the best of what I’ve found to be successful. This includes strategies and tools designed specifically for use in online classrooms and blended learning environments.
I designed this seminar expressly with the needs of both you and your students in mind. This is not a sit and get day – you’ll be evaluating strategies, gathering ideas, and working with others to solve problems. It will be a practical, hands-on learning experience specifically designed to improve social studies instruction and assessment so that your students walk out of your classroom smarter and better prepared than when they walked in.
What you do every day is too important to leave to chance, so I’ll make sure you leave with the most effective ideas that I’ve found – and already to use immediately! I’m looking forward to learning together with you as we work to prepare your learners for their futures.
P.S. Come ready to learn, share and engage during this fast-paced learning day full of outstanding strategies you can use the very next day!
Who Should Attend
History/Social Studies Teachers Working with Students in Grades 6-12, Social Studies Coordinators and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Highly engaging instructional techniques, practical activities, and motivating games designed specifically for social studies classes
- Unique Evidence Analysis Window Frame activity
- Technology tools that will enhance your social studies instruction
- Strategies to successfully build students’ literacy skills
- Links, descriptions, and walkthroughs of the best websites for teaching social studies
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Glenn Wiebe will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.