Strengthen Your MATH Instruction for Your ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS (Grades 3-12)
Presented by Beatrice Moore
Specifically Designed for Grades 3-12: Elementary, Middle School and High School General Mathematics, Pre-Algebra and Algebra Teachers, Math Interventionists, Math Coaches, EL Teachers, Instructional Coaches, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
- Proven strategies to strengthen your mathematics instruction to increase English Learners’ (ELs’) academic vocabulary and achievement in math
- Specific ways to strengthen the reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills of your ELs to accelerate their math skills development
- Highly practical strategies and activities to strengthen ELs’ math content learning and language skills
- Model lessons, demonstrations and an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical ideas, strategies, and activities for strengthening your math instruction for ELs
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW seminar you will gain practical strategies to optimize your mathematics instruction to address and meet the specific needs of your English Learners (ELs). Master teacher and national mathematics consultant BEATRICE MOORE will share a wealth of classroom-proven intervention strategies specifically appropriate for use with ELs in mathematics. Actively engage your ELs who are struggling to learn both content and language in mathematics. Discover ongoing classroom assessment ideas that identify what learning is occurring or not occurring in mathematics, plus specific suggestions for scaffolding your instruction to help your ELs. Explore the best, current methods for teaching the essential elements of mathematics to ELs. Bea’s approach will give you the flexibility to implement these key practices in various instructional settings including whole group, small group, push-in, pull-out, and after school. You will leave this idea-packed seminar with valuable strategies, a renewed sense of motivation, and an indispensable digital resource handbook packed with powerful strategies to strengthen your math instruction for your ELs.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Math Instruction for Your English Learners (ELs)
Discover practical, easy-to-implement strategies to maximize math learning for your ELs … Ready to use with all levels of language learners including recently arrived, long-term, and Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education (SLIFE)
- Provide Targeted Interventions for ELs
Develop mathematical language proficiency by addressing specific skills through targeted interventions … Interventions that work for all levels of ELs
- Make Mathematics Concepts and Skills Comprehensible and Accessible
Discover effective ways to build in supports to scaffold ELs in math at varied levels of language proficiency … Encourage your ELs to take linguistic risks while practicing the English language in your mathematics program
- Scaffold Your Math Instruction to Better Support Your EL
Gain practical ideas for using questioning and revision, or rewriting existing word problems so that your ELs can practice both their math and language skills as they learn how to read and solve application problems in mathematics
- Classroom-Ready Mathematics Activities Specifically Designed for ELs
Explore ready-to-use ideas and strategies that allow you to engage ELs in math learning that is fun, age appropriate and aligned to support the rigor of your state’s mathematics standards
- Practical Strategies to Boost Mathematics Content Vocabulary Acquisition
Learn specific EL teaching strategies that target the challenges of teaching and increasing the use of mathematics content vocabulary … Discover a wealth of language strategies that support math vocabulary and conceptual development
- Build Background Knowledge with Real-World Associations and Connections
Help ELs practice meaningful mathematics that deepens knowledge of the material being tested … Practical ways to design classroom discussions, homework assignments and assessments to connect math content with the real world
- Modify Your Math Instruction Specifically to Support Your ELs’ Success
Discover specific, practical ways to provide ELs with the opportunities they need to work together using English to solve problems and complete authentic math tasks … Help your ELs participate in math class without being overwhelmed
- Manage the Diverse Language Levels and Academic Needs in Your Classroom
Discover practical, innovative ways to address the specific language needs of ELs, from newcomers to proficient language learners in your math classroom … Gain strategies to help you work smarter, not harder
- Receive an Extensive Math Instruction with ELs Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive a comprehensive digital resource handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in your mathematics classroom to support the success of your ELs
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Powerful, essential strategies to optimize mathematics instruction for English Learners (ELs)
- Evidence-based strategies and interventions to strengthen mathematics skills and content accessibility for ELs
- How to help ELs identify key words and concepts in math content to increase their reading comprehension and success in mathematics
- Ways to develop ELs’ conceptual understanding and skills acquisition, and improve their problem-solving skills
- Teacher- and time-friendly organizational strategies for successfully implementing paired and group work to support your ELs
- Specific strategies to enhance the delivery of your math instruction to actively engage all students – especially your ELs in the learning
- Dozens of highly effective instructional strategies to accelerate the academic success of your ELs in math
- How to design and implement highly effective mathematics lessons that maximize ELs’ independence, increase motivation, and deepen understanding
- Specific ways to increase classroom participation of ELs during your math lessons
- How to work smarter, not harder in your standards-based mathematics instruction with ELs
- Tips for successfully modifying your lessons to better help ELs master key mathematical concepts and skills
- Innovative ideas to support newcomer ELs by integrating listening, speaking, reading, and writing strategies in your mathematics instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
For over 35 years I have worked in mathematics education in schools with highly diverse student populations with English Learners and Newcomers. Based on my years of experience as a teacher and mathematics coach I have developed an extensive knowledge base of what works and what doesn’t. I have focused this new seminar on the most effective ideas, strategies and activities that truly work to help support the success of all ELs, including Newcomers, in mathematics.
With increasingly rigorous state standards and greater emphasis on written, verbal communication, and problem-solving skills on assessments at all levels, it’s increasingly important that our math instruction supports the specific needs of our ELs. Of course, we face the very real challenge of accommodating the individual and collective needs and skills our diverse students bring.
I want to help you ensure your mathematics instruction is focused and optimized to support your ELs’ understanding of mathematics concepts and skills. We’ll look at ways to help ELs apply their knowledge in problem-solving situations while supporting their language acquisition. I also want to equip you with strategies that address the language of mathematics and easy-to-incorporate ways to integrate these literacy strategies in your everyday math instruction.
This seminar is packed full of practical strategies and research-based ideas for specifically targeting your instruction to support your ELs’ success in math. We’ll explore easy-to-use, classroom-tested activities that promote language acquisition. Discover cooperative grouping techniques perfect for use with ELs. Gain teaching and learning strategies that strengthen written and oral communication development in math, and much more!
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
P.S. The focus of this seminar will be on practical, classroom-tested strategies for strengthening your ELs’ mathematics and communication skills.
Who Should Attend
Grades 3-12: Elementary, Middle School and High School General Mathematics, Pre-Algebra and Algebra Teachers, Math Interventionists, Math Coaches, EL Teachers, Instructional Coaches, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Specific strategies for optimizing your mathematics instruction for ELs
- Dozens of powerful strategies to help ELs get the most out of your mathematics lessons and catch up with grade-level peers
- Easy-to-implement strategies for oral language and vocabulary development in math
- Innovative and FUN approaches for accelerating language acquisition and math learning that make the most of your instructional time
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in supporting the success of their ELs in mathematics
Beatrice Moore will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.