This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Improving the Emotional Well-Being of Your Students to Reduce Challenging Behaviors and Increase Learning (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Carol Hincker
Designed Specifically for Grade 6-12 Classroom Teachers, Counselors, Instructional Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- Tools to strengthen the SEL Competencies: Empathy, Self-awareness, Selfmanagement, Social Awareness Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision Making
- Resources that support establishing and maintaining positive relationships with students and between students
- Decrease challenging behaviors and creates an environment of trust in the classroom
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook with practical strategies and resources
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This informative and interactive seminar will provide practical techniques for strengthening the learning of your students by addressing their social emotional needs and decreasing their challenging behaviors. CAROL HINCKER understands that students who possess strong SEL skills are equipped with a powerful toolbox to help manage stress, self-regulate behavior, and maintain mental clarity. She will share dozens of ways to incorporate classroom-proven strategies into your content area instruction. These strategies are designed specifically to increase the emotional well-being of your grades 6-12 Students.
As teachers, we do not have control over what our students experience at home. This is where a disconnect can occur, regardless of how well structured and supportive our learning environments are. You can implement innovative strategies that your students can lean on to improve their overall emotional well-being and decrease their challenging, negative behaviors. Discover classroom-proven techniques that are easy to integrate into your existing classroom culture. Learn how to decrease disruption and increase calm and clarity … leading to a significant increase in student engagement. Watch your students begin to soar as these practical tools become natural habits in your classroom. You will leave this seminar with a new toolkit to help your students enhance their emotional well-being and build greater academic success.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Decrease Challenging Behaviors and Emotional Well-Being
Decrease challenging behaviors, increase student engagement and boost confidence in your students so that all students have the positive mindset needed to accelerate their learning
- Build Positive Relationships and Watch Learning Improve
Relationship building is foundational to increased learning and should be ongoing rather than a series of beginning of the year activities … Explore dozens of new ways to establish SEL habits that improve learning and develop positive behaviors throughout the year
- Cultivate a Community of Learners Where Interactions are Receptive Rather than Reactive
Discover SEL strategies that enhance positive and emotionally safe behaviors … Create a learning environment that reduces student anxiety, apathy, and charged emotional exchanges
- Set the Stage for Learning with Opening SEL Routines that Promote a Positive Mindset
Help students overcome the challenges they bring with them to class … Learn how to break the cycle of entering the classroom with negative behaviors
- Inclusive Practices that Positively Impact Student Learning
Apply SEL and mindfulness strategies to help students respectfully engage in academic dialogue, support their thinking with evidence and resolve conflicts appropriately
- Develop Key Student Competencies that Decrease Challenging Behaviors and Open the Door to Improved Learning
Examine which key student competencies need to be in place before learning can happen … Discover how to better shape behavior and contribute to students’ emotional well-being and success
- Prevent Emotional Escalations
Identify easy-to-use strategies that incorporate mindfulness into the classroom without taking away from time-on-task or adding to your already full plate
- Maximize Learning by Embedding SEL into Academic Content
Explore ways to authentically weave SEL into core instruction through rich, complex tasks that promote cultural, personal, social, and academic efficacy
- Re-establish Relationships When Things Have Gone Wrong
Explore how missteps can be learning opportunities … Build a deeper, more trusting relationship to prevent recurrences
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Leave with an extensive digital resource handbook and access to online resources with the newest ideas, strategies, and tips for improving the emotional well-being of your students to reduce challenging behaviors and increase learning in the secondary classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- SEL protocols that lead to positive behaviors and more academic student conversations
- Curricular approaches that embed social and emotional learning instruction into content areas setting up students for improved learning and success
- Practical strategies to gain student interest at the start of the lesson and keep it throughout
- Help your students recognize their own challenging behaviors … Utilize a framework to develop skills for self, interpersonal skills and skills as a community member
- Engaging SEL strategies for students to establish and maintain healthy and positive relationships with peers and adults, resolve conflicts respectfully and seek help when needed
- Framework to teach the skill of responding rather than reacting
- Tips to reduce “teacher talk” and put more learning in the hands of the students
- Game plan for creating a more mindful community of learners in an emotionally safe classroom environment
- “Do Now’s” that provide students with choices and connect prior learning through the lens of SEL
- Framework for building SEL closure into academic lessons
- Formula for student conflict resolution, that fosters personal accountability and responsibility
- Tools for students to become active participants in their learning and regulation of their behaviors
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
One of the greatest compliments I received was from a principal who said “Carol gets it.” I understand what teachers are going through in the demanding and fast paced environment of a school setting. Looking through a teacher’s eyes at the practicality of implementing classroom/behavior management strategies is key to developing a successful plan of action that reduces challenging behaviors and increases learning.
How do we best improve the social emotional well-being of our students and decrease challenging behaviors? In this new seminar designed specifically for teachers working with grades 6-12 students, we will discover just what to do.
Here are some of the topics we will uncover:
- Importance of routines
- Behavior as a skill deficit
- Building and nurturing relationships
- How to get at the root of behaviors and find success with all your students
- And so much more!
Join me for a day of dissecting behavior while learning classroom proven strategies you can implement immediately in your classroom to improve the emotional wellbeing of your grades 6-12 students, increase learning for all and make teaching fun again!
P.S. You will receive an extensive digital resource book and access to online resources with the newest ideas, strategies, and tips for improving the emotional well-being of your students to reduce challenging behaviors and increase learning in your grades 6-12 classroom.
Who Should Attend
Grade 6-12 Classroom Teachers, Counselors, Instructional Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use activities that support establishing and maintaining positive relationships with students and between students
- Tips to empower your students with routines for learning that increase confidence and establish self-regulation
- Strategies to increase student motivation and engagement in purposeful learning
- Practical approaches to integrate SEL competencies in academic content
- Techniques to strengthen student voice and choice in the classroom
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in improving the emotional well-being of their grades 6-12 students.
Carol Hincker will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.