Powerful, Practical Strategies for Working Successfully with "I Don't Care!" and Underperforming Students to Increase Their School Success (Grades 3-12)
Presented by Kim Geddie
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, School Psychologists, and Administrators
- Practical strategies for increasing success with students who come to school with an “I don’t care!” response to seemingly everything – learn how to respond effectively
- Ideas to prevent power struggles, apathy, and disruptive behaviors
- Short-term and long-term strategies for increasing success with unmotivated and often, disruptive students
- Effective strategies to strengthen underperforming students’ initiative, follow through and success in school
Practical Ideas and Strategies
We all want to know how to reach our students who are unmotivated, underperforming and claim to not care about school. This powerful, practical, entertaining, and inspiring seminar will demonstrate successful strategies you can use in your classroom or school to make positive, lasting changes for your challenging students. Many of us are frustrated with the numerous students who have “checked out,” are disengaged, unmotivated, and underperforming. In COVID these challenges have only increased. We know the symptoms, but don’t always know the solutions. The good news is that there is hope and there are strategies to begin to stop the cycle of helplessness these students experience. Join outstanding educator and behavior expert KIM GEDDIE for this one day seminar that will not only cover practical ideas, strategies, and techniques to help increase your success with these challenging students but will also transform how you respond to your students and how you teach. Kim will give you numerous practical ideas and strategies to help you guide students toward making positive changes in their thinking that result in lasting, positive behavior changes.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Successful, Practical Strategies and Ideas to Help Students that Exhibit an “I Don’t Care!” Attitude
Powerful strategies for responding to and working with students who say “I don’t care!” … What you can do to help these challenging students begin to develop the desire to work, be productive and put forth effort in order to find success in school and life
- Break the Cycle of Discouragement in Students Who “Just Don’t Care”
Practical strategies to begin to break the feeling of helplessness in students who insist they don’t care about school … Guide students in reframing their negative thoughts and perceptions into a more positive growth mindset
- Develop Positive Relationships with Underperforming Students
Powerful techniques to establish productive relationships with difficult students … Effectively deal with disrespectful behaviors while handling your own counter aggression … Proven methods to decrease disrespectful behaviors and effectively address them when they occur
- Effective Ways to Stay Emotionally Neutral and Objective
Don’t let students entangle you and their classmates in negative behaviors … Discover how to stay objective so you can begin to defuse challenging situations
- Practical Strategies to Empower Rather than Enable Students
In-class ideas to get more constructive and positive behavior from your unmotivated and underachieving students … Avoid falling into the “enabling” trap in your quest to help, and empower your students to see their potential and reach for it
- Break the Cycle of Alienation Many “I Don’t Care” Students Feel
Practical techniques and methods that instill hope and foster greater academic success for “I don’t care” students … Help your “I don’t care” students find greater purpose in school and life
- Help “I Don’t Care” Students Learn How to Set Goals in School and in Life
Specific ways to guide “I don’t care” students in setting realistic goals for both school success and life outside of school … Learn how to empower appropriate visions and to teach plans for attaining them
- Move Students’ Mindsets From “I Can’t” to “I Can”
Explore effective strategies for helping students shift their mindsets and develop stronger time management, self management, and productive learning skills … Improve students’ attention, confidence, and overall success
- Increase Underperforming Students’ Hope and Ultimate Learning Success
Discover efficient, effective strategies that increase underperforming students’ desire to succeed … Develop concrete ways to increase students’ self-motivation, initiative, follow-through, and success
- Receive a Valuable and Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital handbook filled with the strategies, techniques and activities discussed in the seminar that will become a well used reference for you year after year
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Outstanding strategies for working with students who consistently say, “I don’t care!”
- Specific strategies to adjust your responses to help guide students toward their own behavior change
- How to help students reframe their negative thoughts and perceptions into a more positive growth mindset
- When and how to ignore negative, self-destructive behaviors
- When and why contracts, behavior plans, and rewards don’t work with “I don’t care!” students, and innovative alternatives
- How to take yourself out of the conflict cycle when teaching underperforming and unmotivated students
- Learn the roles anxiety, depression and self-esteem play in your underachieving students
- How to encourage positive change in “I don’t care!” students
- Practical methods to empower and re-engage students who have given up
- How to maintain your enthusiasm and energy while teaching apathetic students
- Discover ways to help your most challenging students develop the desire to learn and work to their personal potential
- Ways to break the cycle of discouragement and empower underperforming students to care and succeed in school
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Are you tired of the increasing number of students that come to school angry, hostile, disinterested, unmotivated, disconnected, and with an “I don’t care” attitude? Are you seeing an increase in the variety of challenges and frustrations you face in the classroom? Are you experiencing additional challenges resulting from COVID?
As educators, we share many of the same frustrations and have many of the same questions about how to successfully teach disengaged, uncaring students. These challenges include:
- How can I teach when students are disrespectful, disruptive, disinterested or simply don’t care?
- How can I successfully deal with classroom challenges and disruptions?
- What do I do when students “push my buttons?”
- How do I deal with disrespectful students without losing credibility or authority with my other students?
- How can I avoid power struggles?
I have worked successfully with challenging students for many years, students who are angry and disruptive, students who have poor self-management, attention focus, communication, and goal-setting skills. I have designed this seminar to share the ideas, strategies, techniques, and methods I have seen work with even the most challenging, disengaged students.
The emphasis of this seminar will be on practical and proven techniques that are successful with even the most challenging, disengaged students. Please join me and discover practical, common-sense ways that we can successfully deal with and help students who come to school or class with an “I don’t care” attitude.
P.S. Invest a day with me and gain effective, practical strategies that can make a life-changing difference for the students with whom you work.
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, School Psychologists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use strategies for all students, especially those who seem to not care
- Relationship-building strategies for teacher-to-student AND student-to-student
- Anger and conflict resolution strategies
- Strategies for improving verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Ways to improve the motivation of your underperforming students
- Strategies to improve students’ attention, focus, initiative, and follow-through
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their skills in working with disinterested and underperforming students.
Kim Geddie will be available to answer your specific questions regarding unique ways to reach students who don’t care about school or their achievement.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.