Catching Up Students That Have Fallen Behind: Strategies That Work! (Grades K-6)
Presented by Melissa Dickson
Specifically Designed for Grades K-6 Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Interventionists, Instructional Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Learn four key steps to help your students catch up
- Maximize student learning time with cutting edge strategies that close gaps quickly and more easily
- Leave with practical, high-impact strategies that make learning stick for students who have fallen behind
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with engaging, ready-to-use learning activities, strategies, practical instructional tools, and templates that you can use right away
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you have students who have fallen behind and now have significant learning gaps? Are you wondering how to teach your grade-level standards while closing gaps from previous year’s standards? Are you looking for a way to maximize your teaching time to help your students catch up and feel successful again? If so, then you won’t want to miss this seminar by veteran educator and presenter, MELISSA DICKSON. The focus will be on four key steps to make learning stick, allowing you to double the speed of your students’ learning and help them catch up in record time. Melissa will provide you with easy-to-implement strategies for each step, as well as, sharing how you can “bump up” the strategy to provide more challenge or “break down” the strategy to scaffold for struggling learners. Join Melissa for a day filled with high-impact strategies and approaches to add to your teacher toolkit. You will have fun and leave with a multitude of ideas that can be easily adapted to your learning environment.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Four Key Steps to Enhance Your Students’ Learning to Help Them Catch Up
Boost student learning with a four-step cycle of instruction that puts neuroscience, the formative assessment process and differentiation into your practice in a highly effective and doable way
- Put a Stop to the Growing Gap and Double the Speed of Learning for Your Students Who Have Fallen Behind
Stop the gap and propel your students forward with practical ideas for using formative assessment to save time and increase learning
- Maximize the Impact of Your Instruction Using Techniques That Make Learning Stick
Discover innovative ways to make the most of your time with students … Learn practical time-saving strategies for prioritizing, pre-assessing, tapping prior knowledge, and priming for instruction that helps students catch up
- Incorporate Key Principles of Differentiation into Your Existing Lessons
Discover highly effective ways to more to easily differentiate to meet the diverse needs in your classroom … Learn techniques that will expedite learning and help your students move forward more quickly
- Help Your Struggling Students Understand What Success Looks Like and How to More Easily Achieve It
Practical strategies you can use immediately to help you and your struggling students achieve greater success … These strategies will seriously boost your students’ confidence and are a game changer!
- Find Practical Strategies for Eliminating Students’ Misunderstandings and Misconceptions
Help your students catch up quickly with practical ways to identifying and target important misunderstandings and misconceptions … Learn how to easily identify and remove the barriers that are getting in the way of catching up
- Spend Less Time Teaching What Your Students Already Know
There’s no time for wasted time … Learn how to prioritize what needs to be taught and use data more efficiently and seamlessly to teach and assess only what needs to be learned
- Help Your Students Who Have Fallen Behind Develop Greater Confidence
Don’t let your students continue to get in the way of their own learning … Help them turn their negative self-talk into a more positive mindset so they can really see themselves as learners
- Enhance the Catching Up Process With Communication and Collaboration Skills That Boost Learning to Higher Levels
Increase your students’ oral language skills and their ability to work collaboratively with classroom-tested listening and speaking activities that will increase the speed of learning … Learn powerful techniques to help your students catch up
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook Filled With Practical Strategies to Help Your Students That Have Fallen Behind
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for helping your students who have fallen behind catch up with key learning strategies for grades K-6 … Included are dozens of practical ideas, templates, and resources to help you propel student learning to new levels
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical tips and step-by-step instructional strategies to boost progress for your students who have fallen behind
- Discover numerous, high-impact strategies to quickly increase your students’ learning
- Boost new learning for students at all levels in your classroom
- Useful Tools for ongoing and informal assessments of students who have fallen behind so you can more easily match instruction to their specific needs
- Powerful instructional strategies proven to increase your students’ learning and success
- Effective progress monitoring and assessment tools and techniques to help guide your targeted interventions and intervene or extend based on students’ needs
- Numerous ideas, strategies, and demonstrations to strengthen and enrich your current program
- Acquire helpful lesson-planning templates to more effectively frame and target learning needs
- How to anticipate the variety of ways your students’ struggle and practical strategies to respond more effectively
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – specific ways help your students who have fallen behind quickly catch up and feel successful again
- Learn the secrets to make your instruction stick, methods to motivate and engage your most reluctant students, and more!
- How to balance between interventions and teaching new content to prevent students from continuing to fall behind
- Powerful strategies for pinpointing gaps in students’ knowledge, skills and understanding
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
If COVID-19 has taught us anything it is that we cannot always control what is happening around us. The unfortunate reality is that despite best efforts during the pandemic, many students’ learning took a dramatic downward turn, leaving them with shaky foundations and gaps in their learning. Are you interested in learning new and innovative ways to help your students catch up with cutting edge teaching strategies? Well, I can help! During our day together, you’ll be introduced to brain-friendly teaching strategies for each of the four key steps that will transform your students into more active learners and independent thinkers.
I have designed this seminar to provide you with the four key steps that can double the speed of your students’ learning. Yes, you heard me. That means that if a student enters your classroom a full year behind, and you use these four steps routinely, the student can leave your class on grade level. I want to help you see how to meet the diverse needs in your classroom with easy-to-implement strategies that boost engagement and help your students take ownership for their learning.
Join me and experience a productive day of learning filled with highly practical strategies and resources designed to help you make a huge difference in your students’ learning. My goal is to give you an array of ideas and activities you can use the very next day to help your students who have fallen behind catch up more quickly and increase learning at all levels in your classroom. I look forward to meeting you and sharing my experiences, strategies and resources with you!
P.S. Armed with a toolkit full of engaging, easy-to-implement strategies and resources, you will leave re-energized, confident, ready to meet your students right where they are, and to effectively enhance your students’ learning.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-6 Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Interventionists, Instructional Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Specific tools and strategies to help you increase student learning
- Ready-to-use reproducibles for a wide range of learning strategies
- Lesson-planning templates you can use immediately to help your students who have fallen behind
- Valuable and practical information you will want to share with your colleagues
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in catching up their grades K-6 students who have fallen behind.
Melissa Dickson will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.