Strengthen WORLD LANGUAGE Instruction By Making Best Use of Google Classroom and Free Google Tools, Apps and Extensions (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Daryl Boeckers
Designed Specifically for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12
- Outstanding communicative activities using Google Classroom and Google Tools to offer expanded opportunities for students to engage in the target language 90% of the time
- Differentiate target language instruction with free Chrome Extensions and add-ons to foster initiative and self-direction in all your students
- Harness the full potential of Google Workplace to engage students as they create, collaborate and share content that demonstrates what they know and can do in the target language
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this uniquely focused seminar specifically designed for world language educators, Daryl Boeckers, an experienced world language teacher and technology integration specialist, will help move your curriculum into the 21st Century through a focus on Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions that are commonplace in the lives of students and educators. Learn innovative practices for integrating mobile devices, flipped lessons, media, and more for demonstrating language proficiency. He will show you how using technology to work collaboratively improves the quality of student work while fostering accountability, productivity, initiative, and self-direction. Daryl will demonstrate how to best harness today’s technologies and use them to motivate your students through performance tasks that more deeply engage them in the target language and culture.
You’ll leave this seminar knowing that you can effectively use Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions to reach world language learning goals, and assess student performance in the process. The comprehensive world language digital resource handbook and accompanying website you’ll receive at the seminar will help keep you up-to-date as technology changes and provide an ongoing professional development community for language educators.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Make the Best Use of Google Classroom, Free Google Tools, Apps and Extensions to Foster in all Three Communication Modes
Learn practical applications for utilizing Google Classroom, free Google Tools to foster communication skills … Go beyond the basics and discover the latest updates in the tools you’ll want to use the most in class and in distance learning environments
- Utilize Innovative Ways to Integrate Emerging Technology into Your Language Curriculum
Discover new ways to engage your students in language content and differentiate using Google. Unlock collaborative opportunities using Jamboard in the target language, build relationships while staying in L2
- Access Authentic Resources for Student Use and Embed in Integrated Performance Assessment
Discover resources designed for native speakers for in-class tasks and assessment … These are resources that promote target language use for teachers and students alike
- Explore the Latest Google Drive Add-Ons and Chrome Browser Extensions
Take Google Drive and Chrome to the next level by leveraging amazing add-ons for Docs, Slides, Sheets, and Forms as well as Extensions in your browser
- Increase Your Familiarity with Online and Hybrid Lessons for Differentiating World Language Instruction
Experience innovative ideas for providing additional support and opportunities for students to work at their own pace while increasing classroom interactivity. Leverage these tools to design interventions for challenging language lessons
- Use Google Apps and Tech Tools to Help Students Point to Increased Proficiency
Connect with apps, add-ons, extensions, and other tech tools to utilize in a communicative, proficiency-oriented L2 classroom
- Integrate Google Cultural Institute into Your World Language Program
Use Google Art Project to analyze and compare works from around the globe … Explore modern and ancient world wonders using Google’s Street View technology
- Increase Opportunities for Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing
Using the tools that students are most comfortable with for communicating, learn to take advantage of Google to encourage all modes of communication and improve accuracy in performance tasks and providing feedback
- Utilize Google to Foster 21st Century Skills in Your World Language Students
Today’s students need to be college, career and life ready … Experience how technology can help foster the 12 skills in the ACTFL World Languages 21st Century Skills Map
- Build an Array of High-Quality Interactive World Language Learning Materials and Activities
Use Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions to increase your repertoire of interactive options and get your students using the target language and formatively assess their proficiency growth
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Strengthen your knowledge of Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions and their practical use in your world language program
- Ways to work smarter, not harder … Timesaving tips for using a variety of Google Tools more efficiently, including personalized feedback, effective searching, hidden assets in Drive, and more
- How you can utilize a combination of Google Apps to help your students’ proficiency grow as they meet ACTFL World-Readiness Standards and demonstrate 21st Century Skills
- How to design interventions that differentiate instruction using Google Apps
- Google search strategies that improve student research and citation skills, identify copyright-free images for projects and narrow the search to authentic target language materials
- How to leverage applications from Google Suite to motivate students to promote L2
- Ways to weave modes of communication, culture standards and 21st Century Skills into student work both in and outside of the classroom
- How you can differentiate instruction to better meet the needs of all your students with Google Classroom, Google Drive, YouTube and Chrome add-ons
- How to improve workflow and data collection as evidence of student performance through download and installation of apps, add-ons and digital proficiency portfolios
- Take the mystery out of available add-ons and tools menus that make collaborative work in Google Drive extraordinarily powerful
- Use Google Voice to increase opportunities for students to practice speaking in informal authentic simulations
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a current world language educator and teacher coach, I believe it’s a great time to be teaching world languages! Integrating Google Tools into the world language classroom increases options for all students to create and perform using the target language. I am passionate about purposefully integrating new technological tools to enhance second language instruction and learning. My goal is simple: showcase the most useful tools and strategies that work in world language classrooms to enhance your lessons and engage all of your language learners. Students leave our classrooms with both 21st Century and world language proficiency that they will apply in their world.
Since 2001, I have been exploring the very best tech tools fit for the world language classroom. Used effectively, Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions can significantly transform the teaching and learning of languages. You will learn about the tools your students may already be using in other classes or at home. You will walk away with practical, easy-to-implement ideas for seamlessly integrating these tools into your language program. Additionally, you will receive rich examples of rubrics to guide your assessment, links to video screencasts to support students, student examples of work, and online access to resources for when you return to your classroom. It is my goal that you’ll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar. You will leave with a plethora of ideas on how you can improve your teaching and your students’ learning of language using free Google Tools.
P.S. This seminar is designed for world language teachers to walk away with numerous ideas for using Google Classroom and Google Tools. I am confident that both novice and tech-savvy world language teachers will leave knowing they have significantly added to their teaching repertoire.
Who Should Attend
World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language Google Tools and Apps digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Lesson ideas for Google Classroom, Google Tools and Apps that you are free to copy and customize for use in your world language classroom
- Timesaving ways to use Google Tools to increase communication in the target language
- Tips and tricks for integrating more advanced features of Google Classroom, Google Tools, Apps and Extensions in world language instruction in class and online
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas secondary world language educators interested in using Google Tools, Apps and Extensions to enhance their world language programs.
Daryl Boeckers will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.