Practical Interventions for Increasing the Success of Your School-Based OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY Outcomes
Presented by Olivia Shindel
Specifically Designed for Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants Serving Preschool-Grade 12:
- Practical evidence-based interventions and tools to improve fine motor, handwriting, sensory, and movement goals
- Hands-on and engaging motor development activities you can apply immediately in your OT Interventions
- Incorporate the most effective OT intervention techniques with students of all ages
- Practical intervention strategies to help your students increase academic success
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Designed for school-based occupational therapists, this engaging and innovative seminar is designed to fill your therapy toolbox with practical, evidence-based intervention strategies you’ll be able to use immediately. In this NEW seminar, outstanding OT Olivia Shindel will share dozens of highly effective treatment ideas to boost goal achievement. Throughout the day, you will learn new and innovative strategies to improve your therapy out-comes with students. This informative seminar will combine best practice strategies with the understanding and reality that a schoolbased OT may encounter working in an educational model: caseload demands, limited time, limited workspace, and limited resources and supplies. Working with evidence-based strategies and AOTA’s Terminology Framework, you will be better-equipped in your position as a critical member of the school-based treatment team. You will leave this seminar ready and excited to immediately implement the strategies you’ve learned in your own therapy plans!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase the Effectiveness of Your School-Based Occupational Therapist Interventions
Learn how to be a more effective and efficient OT with an expanded repertoire of evidence-based intervention strategies that will make you a highly valued resource and team member
- Utilize Motor Development Techniques to Help Students to be More Successful in School
Boost your knowledge of easy-to-implement strategies that address visual motor skills related to managing classroom tools such as scissor/cutting skills, grasp on a writing tool, and much more
- Fresh, Innovative, and Fun Ideas and Strategies to Expand Your Therapy Repertoire with Your Students
Expand your OT toolbox with interventions, adaptations, strategies, accommodations, and technologies that range from inexpensive to free and can easily be integrated into the student’s daily routine
- Address the Volume of School-Based Occupational Therapy Referrals
Discuss RTI/MTSS strategies that can be implemented immediately to address fine motor, visual motor, handwriting, and sensory/work behaviors before an evaluation is indicated
- Learn Environmental Strategies to Create a Sensory Space for Improved Classroom-Based Interventions
Utilize effective room-designs and strategies to meet student’s sensory needs and to provide effective therapy strategies
- Spend Less Time “Teaching Handwriting” and More Time Implementing Foundational Skill Training
Use your expertise and training to teach and support classroom personnel regarding introduction of handwriting as it relates to a child’s development and questions to ask related to the complex task of handwriting
- Incorporate Evidence-Based Treatment Strategies Related to Hand Development
Discover and review key factors in overall hand development skills for functional outcomes … Learn interventions that incorporate hand development skills
- Practical Strategies to Increase Your Effectiveness as a School-Based Occupational Therapist
Learn how to manage your caseload with increasing demands on the school-based occupational therapist … Discover how to be more efficient and effective in your unique role as a medically trained professional working in an educational model
- Modify the Classroom Environment to Improve Students’ Success with Your OT Interventions
Learn how to improve functional outcomes that can reduce distractions and increase attention, focus, and engagement for increased success for the students on your caseload
- Receive an Extensive OT Interventions Digital Resource Handbook
You will leave this seminar with a comprehensive digital resource handbook that includes strategies and tools along with detailed descriptions of the activities and concepts for more successful OT interventions
Learning OutcomesAt the end of the seminar you will be able to:
- Identify interventions to improve students’ motor planning, hand strength, motor separation of the hand, and in-hand manipulative skills affecting functional outcomes
- Select specific strategies to help students increase classroom participation, independence, attention and focus while developing an inviting space that meets their sensory needs and improves work behaviors
- Name uses of technology and OT Apps that can address fine motor skills and visual motor/visual perceptual skills pertaining to writing legibly
- Identify proven interventions to boost motor development and use of classroom tools for improved functional outcomes
- Select collaboration strategies to communicate more effectively with parents, teachers, administrators, and school personnel from students’ intake to graduation
- Differentiate between evidence and non-evidence-based strategies to allow for best practice while building student interest
- Learn strategies that address volume of school-based referrals and provide ideas and strategies through an RTI/MTSS approach interest and expanding your activity analysis skills
- Merge your existing skills and knowledge with therapeutic interventions that work for your schedule, complement your interaction style and uncovers your potential for growth and development
- Develop more effective treatment plans and interventions that address foundational skills for improving function in school
- Name proven techniques to help you gain greater control of your caseload demands, schedule and referral stream
- Utilize fresh, new, innovative ideas for your therapy toolbox including accommodations, interventions, and adaptations for better goal achievement
- Identify treatment environments available in your practice setting to allow you to better support your students throughout their school day
- Discuss and identify alternative intervention delivery models, such as collaboration and push-in treatment, while keeping ‘Least Restrictive Environment’ in mind
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The last few years have taught us that we need to be adaptable and more prepared for the unexpected. The School-Based Occupational Therapist is uniquely designed and equipped to juggle various tasks, responsibilities, and challenges that arise, so we need to be fluid and flexible. We are accustomed to changes in routines, unexpected interruptions, and a caseload that can be daunting at times. Remembering that we have specific talents and skills that make us unique is key. Recognizing and identifying our unique gifts, talents, and skills are important steps in the journey. Tapping into those talents and skills is critical to be the most effective therapist we can be! Thank you for attending this seminar, and I look forward to sharing OT ideas and strategies with you that you can use immediately when you return to work. My wish is that you discover the joy of working with your students in the school environment.
With over 18 years of experience as a school-based Occupational Therapist, I have seen tremendous change in the practice of Occupational Therapy within the school setting, especially during the last two years. Along with those changes comes the challenge of managing caseloads and schedules, implementing best practice for our students while retaining our passion for our profession. I believe that tapping into our own creative outlook while managing time, schedules, collaboration and consultation, along with direct student contact is key to embracing the change and challenge that comes your way now, and into the future.
This seminar is designed to help make your treatment strategies and interventions ones that students and teachers embrace, enjoy and USE! It is my goal that when you leave this seminar, you will have practical strategies to use right away. These new tools will enhance your existing practice and complement the creative techniques that you are currently using. Whether newer to the profession or just needing a rejuvenating pick me up, this seminar is designed for you! Let’s come together to recognize all that you can do to support both students and staff whether working in-person or through teletherapy.
I look forward to meeting you, sharing meaningful information and leaving you with an eagerness to use ideas and strategies the next day in making your practice truly yours!
Olivia Shindel, MS, OTR/L
P.S. I guarantee that after our time together at this seminar, you’ll leave refreshed and excited to immediately implement new ideas for enhancing your OT interventions and boosting your students’ success!
Who Should Attend
Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants Serving Preschool-Grade 12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Specific treatment ideas
- Resource lists and websites
- Practical resources you can use immediately
- Research-based interventions and strategies to strengthen your expertise as a school-based OT or OT Assistant
- Provide affordable and fun methods, materials, and ideas that are effective and efficient and support your budget
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in improving the behavior and learning of their students.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.