School-Based SLPs: Comprehensive Intervention for ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS with Language Disorders
Presented by Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin
Specifically Designed for School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists Serving Grades PreK-12
- Comprehensive intervention to help your English Learners (ELs) improve their social and academic language acquisition for academic and life success
- Linguistically and culturally responsive intervention for ELs with language disorders
- Print, phonological, and morphological awareness activities perfect for your therapy to boost academic language skills of ELs
- Receive an extensive EL therapy digital resource handbook full of techniques, ideas and strategies you can use immediately in your therapy
Practical Strategies and Materials
Experienced speech-language pathologist CELESTE ROSEBERRYMCKIBBIN will share practical, usetomorrow comprehensive intervention ideas to help you support the success of your English Learners (ELs) with language disorders. Discover interventions for strengthening academic vocabulary acquisition, with multiple strategies for helping increase access to classroom curriculum for ELs with language impairment. Promote your ELs' continued f irst language development and acquisition of English skills, especially academic English. Gain culturally responsive materials and strategies you can use to affirm and support your diverse ELs. Learn practical ways to strengthen and improve Tier 2 vocabulary word knowledge. Walk away with practical trauma-informed intervention ideas. Explore strategies for improving EL students' expository reading skills to improve their academic performance. Incorporate innovative strategies and materials for targeting sensory and fine motor skill deficits that often accompany ELs' language impairment. Join Celeste for a FUN, information-packed, engaging day full of practical ideas for increasing the success of your ELs with language disorders.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Provide Comprehensive Intervention for Your English Learners (ELs) with Language Disorders
Explore the latest, best practical, evidence-based interventions for increasing the success of your ELs … Discover engaging, FUN multimodal activities and materials that strengthen ELs' social and academic language acquisition
- Identify ELs Who Qualify and Do Not Qualify for Speech-Language Therapy
Learn how to determine a language disorder versus a language difference with ELs … Gain outstanding resources you can recommend to teachers of ELs who do not qualify for an IEP but still need extra learning support
- Explore Linguistically and Culturally Responsive Intervention for ELs
Discover responsive intervention ideas that powerfully support first language development in your therapy and at home … Expand your toolkit of linguistically and culturally diverse materials
- Support Your ELs' Success Across Diverse Learning Settings
As SLPs, it is imperative that we collaborate with other general and special education professionals … Learn a host of strategies perfect for supporting the needs of ELs with language disorders across school settings
- Target Key Pre-Literacy Skills for Kindergarten and PreK ELs
Young ELs can greatly benefit from boosting their pre-literacy skills in the areas of phonological and print awareness … Discover engaging, evidence-based approaches that will equip young ELs for future academic success
- Boost the Academic Skills of Elementary and Adolescent ELs
Our older ELs with language disorders need support in meeting the English Language Arts curriculum of the classroom … Extend your knowledge of specific, practical ways to boost academic vocabulary and expository reading skills
- Strengthen Morphological Awareness Skills for Upper Elementary ELs
Research shows that morphological awareness is the most important literacy-supporting skill from third grade onward … Gain practical, impactful interventions that will strengthen your ELs' phonological and print awareness skills
- Increase Your ELs' Academic Vocabulary Skills
Many SLPs tend to target social vocabulary and "Tier 1" vocabulary for everyday concepts … Learn specific evidence-supported best practice techniques to help ELs boost their academic vocabulary for increased school success
- Incorporate Engaging Sensory and Fine Motor Activities into Your Therapy
Many ELs with language disorders have accompanying sensory and fine motor deficits … Explore creative, easy-to-implement, inexpensive, and FUN ways to incorporate sensory and fine motor activities into your therapy to engage ELs and help them want to do more!
- Receive an EL Intervention Digital Resource Handbook
You'll receive a detailed comprehensive intervention digital resource handbook packed with activities, materials and resources designed to make your language therapy program more effective for supporting ELs with language disorders
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical evidence-based interventions, methods, and materials to help grades PreK-12 English Learners (ELs) with language disorders
- Updated information about how to qualify ELs as having a language disorder as defined by federal law
- Dynamic, motivating ways to boost morphological awareness skills to support reading comprehension
- Innovative culturally responsive strategies and materials you can immediately incorporate in your therapy
- Engaging ways to provide multiple exposures and active engagement to improve the academic vocabulary learning of ELs
- How to build the pre-literacy skills of at-risk EL kindergartners and preschoolers by increasing their print and phonological awareness skills
- Ideas to help teachers support underperforming ELs who do not technically qualify for special education
- Examples of Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 vocabulary words and how to target Tier 2 words for maximum impact
- Helpful techniques to incorporate a growth mindset into therapy to improve students' confidence, resilience, and perseverance
- Proven strategies for improving the expository reading skills of ELs with language disorders
- Realistic ways to incorporate a trauma-informed therapy approach for ELs with traumatic experiences in their backgrounds
- High-energy, popular activities and materials for ELs with sensory and fine motor deficits
- Supportive strategies for promoting cultural and linguistic diversity and celebrating ELs and families through a holistic, strengths-based approach to service delivery
A Message from Your Seminar Leader
I'm a school-based SLP with over 25 years of experience working with grades PreK-12 English Learners (ELs) with language disorders. My students come from immigrant families from all over the world. In fact, my school district is the third largest receiver of refugee families in the U.S. I serve in schools in underresourced areas where many families don't speak English. And since I was raised in the Philippines from ages 6-17, I also bring to this important work my own lived experiences with being a second (and third!) language learner in a country in which I was not born.
I'm so excited to share with you the latest practical, evidence-based, engaging, high-energy therapy interventions that I have successfully used in my own therapy with ELs! In recent years I have seen that many of our ELs come to school with trauma-based backgrounds as well as sensory and fine motor deficits that accompany their language disorders. I have also witnessed firsthand how incorporating a growth mindset into language therapy can transform the lives of EL students I work with. This challenging but rewarding population has taught me a great deal about the power of utilizing a strengthsbased, growth mindset approach to maximize learning for all students. I can't wait to show you how!
I love being a practicing school-based SLP, trying out new ideas and sharing them with colleagues like you nationally and internationally. I'm passionate about helping you incorporate entertaining and motivating sensory and fine motor strategies into your language therapy to boost EL students' engagement and success. I so look forward to getting to know you and for the opportunity for all of us to learn from one another to support the success of our English Learners with language disorders!
P.S. I'm passionate about time-efficient, lively, inexpensive, FUN ideas you can use immediately with the ELs on your caseload!
Who Should Attend
School-Based SpeechLanguage Pathologists Serving Grades PreK-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Multiple use-tomorrow reproducible forms perfect for therapy with Grades PreK-12 ELs
- Links to videos and websites illustrating specific "how tos" of EL therapy
- Descriptions of fine motor and sensory activities that you can easily incorporate into your language therapy with ELs
- An index of specific trauma-informed intervention strategies
- A reproducible vocabulary teaching hierarchy, and Tier 2 vocabulary word resources including test-taking vocabulary
- Lists of inclusive materials for increasing print and phonological awareness skills of young at-risk ELs
- Detailed descriptions of methods for connecting EL intervention to the Gen Ed English Language Arts curriculum
For in-person seminars, registrants will also receive a printed copy of the resource handbook as long as their registration is received in the BER office at least 15 calendar days before the event.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other SLPs interested in helping English Learners with language disorders.
Celeste Roseberry McKibbin will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own speech-language program.
ASHA - CEUs
ASHA-Required Disclosure Statement for Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin:
Presenter for the Institute for Educational Development and receives honorarium compensation.
No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.