SLPS: Practical Assessment and Therapy Strategies for Culturally & Linguisticaly Diverse Students
Presented by Tinita Ortega Kearney
Specifically Designed for School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists Serving Pre-K through Grade 12
- Dozens of practical language intervention activities to use with culturally and linguistically diverse students who have language disorders
- Increase functional assessment knowledge and use through innovative and highly effective strategies perfect for in-person therapy or teletherapy
- Effective strategies to incorporate appropriate and relevant assessment and treatment materials into your language therapy
- Receive an extensive digital handbook filled with techniques, ideas and key strategies you can use immediately in your own practice as well as access to Tinita's online resources
Practical Strategies and Materials
Are you looking for fresh, innovative, practical ways to better support your culturally and linguistically diverse students with language disorders? You are probably already aware of the importance of considering linguistic diversity in therapy. But, are you left wondering, "How exactly do I do it?" In this outstanding NEW seminar, experienced speech-language pathologist and national presenter, Dr. TINITA ORTEGA KEARNEY, will share dozens of new and innovative evidence-based strategies and resources to accelerate the therapy progress of your culturally and linguistically diverse students. If you are looking for ways to expand your repertoire of strategies to support and increase the learning of your culturally and linguistically diverse students, then this is the seminar for you. Tinita will share a wealth of key therapy strategies and ideas that can be immediately implemented. The practical strategies shared in this seminar are proven to impact the learning process and play a vital role in students' academic success and mastery of the academic standards. Gearing language intervention directly to the specific needs of our diverse students will better support students in their daily learning environment. At the end of the day, you will feel better equipped to work with culturally and linguistically diverse students with language disorders and will be armed with an overflowing toolbox of therapy strategies you can put to use immediately.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Relevant and Engaging Intervention Strategies for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
Discover numerous ready-to-use in-person therapy or teletherapy materials and intervention strategies to promote language skills and academic success for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Enhance Your Assessment of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
Gain proven strategies and resources to make the assessment process more meaningful and relevant for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Connect Assessment Data to Your Language Therapy Goals
Discover highly effective ways to determine what to target in therapy based on assessment results for your culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Discover the Impact of Cultural Identity on Language Therapy
Identify the impact that a student's cultural identity may have on their progress in language therapy and learn strategies to increase the rate, quality, and retention of progress in therapy
- Increase Cultural Responsiveness in Assessment and Therapy
Focus on specific ways to incorporate culturally responsive practices to maximize student performance throughout language assessment and treatment
- Enhance Your Understanding of Barriers to Success in Therapy for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
Gain insight into the role that the SLP plays in identifying and avoiding barriers that may slow or hinder students' progress in therapy
- Identify Language Differences vs. Language Disorders
Identify indicators of language disorders in culturally and linguistically diverse students and differentiate these from language differences
- Apply SLP Intervention Strategies to a Variety of Therapy Goals
Expand your therapy toolkit to include specific language strategies that are practical and highly effective for a variety of language goals for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Enrich Assessment and Enhance Your Therapy Through Language Sampling
Language sampling has a profound impact on determining students' actual language skills Increase your ability to collect a robust language sample quickly and efficiently, and acquire strategies to use the data gathered to make your language therapy more effective
- Receive an Extensive Language Therapy Digital Resource Handbook
You'll leave with a detailed language therapy digital resource handbook packed with activities, materials and resources designed to make your language therapy program more efficient and effective
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Utilize innovative and easy-to-use language therapy ideas – target a variety of language goals using relevant and motivating materials and resources whether you are working with students in-person or via teletherapy
- Motivating ways to increase the impact of your language intervention using a culturally responsive lens – apply strategies to target a variety of language goals that incorporate your students' values and interests to boost their performance in therapy
- Numerous inexpensive and effective therapy materials – receive an extensive list of materials and resources that can enhance your therapy as well as special access to the materials on Dr. Kearney's website
- A variety of ready-made materials to target several language goals – ideas for how to use materials to target a wide range of therapy goals
- Expand the impact of your assessment data – tie your assessment findings to language goals in specific ways that will increase academic success for your culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Impact culturally and linguistically diverse learners with a language disorder with a better understanding of barriers to success – learn about the types of barriers that may hinder your students' progress in therapy and how to overcome or avoid them
- Tie your language goals to the academic standards – discover how your language goals directly impact attainment of the core standards
- Discover new, easy-to-use language activities – update your toolkit of language interventions to make therapy more meaningful and relevant for your culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Utilize effective ways to become more interactive during therapy sessions – proven ways to help students learn and retain more
A Message from Your Seminar Leader
I think it's safe to say that like me, you've joined the field of speech-language pathology because you love helping people in a meaningful way. And what is more meaningful than helping students communicate more effectively and achieve academic success as a result? This is what we do as speech-language pathologists, and I consider it our superpower! And as awesome SLPs, from time to time we need to check our therapy toolkits to ensure that we're prepared with the most relevant and effective tools to build the speech and language skills of those whom we work with.
As a school-based SLP working in districts with students from many different cultural and linguistic backgrounds for over 10 years, I've developed numerous time-efficient strategies to make the language assessment process more meaningful and relevant. I've also developed techniques to make language therapy more interactive and effective, and I'm very excited to share all of this with you!
During our time together, you'll expand your professional toolkit and gain many useful strategies, including:
- Proven methods to make assessment meaningful and relevant for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Specific techniques to increase skill acquisition and retention for these students
- Practical easy ways to distinguish a language disorder from a language difference
- Strategies to align assessment and therapy with culturally responsive practices that will increase both student engagement and progress
Tinita O. Kearney, PhD, CCC-SLP
P.S. This live online seminar will be filled with a variety of quick and practical ideas that will help you to be a more successful hands-on, interactive SLP – ideas you will be able to use immediately!
Who Should Attend
School-Based SpeechLanguage Pathologists Serving Pre-K through Grade 12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Numerous language therapy strategies and activities
- Innovative techniques to increase the learning of your culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Suggestions for inexpensive materials that help develop language skills
- Specific ways that SLPs can help support the academic standards students are expected to achieve
- A list of resources and other support material
For in-person seminars, registrants will also receive a printed copy of the resource handbook as long as their registration is received in the BER office at least 15 calendar days before the event.
ASHA - CEUs
ASHA-Required Disclosure Statement for Tinita Ortega Kearney:
Presenter for the Institute for Educational Development and receives honorarium compensation.
No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.