DYSLEXIA: Best Targeted Interventions for Greater Literacy Success (Grades K-6)
NEW Seminar Presented By
Specifically Designed for Teacher Leaders, Professional Development Trainers, Literacy Coaches, Reading Specialists, Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Curriculum Directors, and Administrators Serving Grades K-6
- Train your staff on techniques that build foundational skills and support literacy success for students with dyslexia or who may have dyslexia
- Build teacher expertise with research-based intervention strategies for students who have or may have dyslexia
- Practical suggestions for instructing students based on targeted reading needs including the critical components of successful interventions
- Receive key information on how to deliver high-quality, engaging, and effective dyslexia training sessions to your staff
Is your school or district looking for what it takes to help students who may have dyslexia to be more successful readers and spellers? National presenter and literacy expert Heather Kenny has developed a fast-paced, practical, train-the-trainer opportunity to help you train your teachers in using proven literacy strategies that help all your students who have or may have dyslexia.
In this two-day seminar, you'll learn the most up-to-date information on dyslexia along with a wealth of proven strategies and resources designed to help you offer the best possible literacy instruction for students with dyslexia. The most current information on brain research related to reading and dyslexia as well as highly practical ways to increase reading and spelling success will be explained in very practical terms. You will learn numerous targeted interventions to help staff maximize their teaching time and improve literacy outcomes for your students with dyslexia.
You'll leave the seminar with numerous research-based interventions you can use immediately to target students' specific needs so that students who have or may have dyslexia can experience greater literacy success. You will also gain tips, strategies, and extensive resources to aid you in training or coaching other educators in your school or district in best literacy practices.
A Practical, Two-Day Train-the-Trainer Program to Train Your Teachers in Helping Struggling Readers Experience Greater Literacy Success
Send one or more staff members or teacher leaders to this training program and they will return to your school(s) with professional development strategies and resources to support and train your staff to better facilitate high-quality reading instruction focusing on the specific needs of students who have or may have dyslexia. Participants will learn:
- Ready-to-use tools and techniques to support your staff as they analyze the reading gaps of struggling readers
- Practical strategies for strengthening word recognition skills, reading fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension for students with dyslexia
- Dozens of free resources – videos, lessons, tutorials, reproducible materials – to create a diverse wealth of instructional resources your team can use for readers at various levels
- Practical, formative assessment ideas your school can use to monitor learning and support progress monitoring
- Tips, shortcuts and ways to better use technology in supporting students who have or may have dyslexia
This Two-Day Train-the-Trainer Program is Cost Effective
If you are interested in providing high-quality training in assessing and addressing the specific needs of struggling readers who demonstrate the characteristics of dyslexia to your teachers, school(s) or district, this is the perfect opportunity. Send one teacher, a coach, or a team and they will leave with an extensive digital resource training handbook filled with the tools needed for their own training, along with access to a companion web-based link filled with additional resources and a PowerPoint template to use and adapt to meet the needs of your own training. The focus of the two-day training will be on how to implement the crucial components necessary to identify and target the reading gaps and support your most struggling students in becoming more proficient readers.
Here's what you'll learn:
- What dyslexia is and what it isn't
- Tips for developing and delivering high-impact training for all of your teachers
- Outstanding research-based teaching techniques and tools for how to better support teachers in reinforcing and strengthening students' reading and spelling proficiency in grades K-6
- The latest information on brain pathways critical to successful reading and spelling and what this means for instruction with dyslexic and struggling readers
- Simple ways to determine the critical reading needs of students in your classrooms and how to group for instruction based on these needs
- How to more easily assess your students' skills in the most important areas related to reading, decoding and spelling
- How to facilitate implementation of highly successful dyslexia intervention strategies
- Specific activities to promote advanced phonemic awareness skills critical for success with all students and especially those with dyslexia
- How to implement appropriate interventions in an RTI or MTSS model
- Dozens of strategies to help students who have or may have dyslexia successfully read and spell
- How to efficiently determine what type of reading instruction benefits different types of readers
- Proven instructional routines that build strong reading and spelling skills
- How to use multisensory instruction to aid in the retrieval of reading and spelling skills
- Step-by-step guidance for facilitating training on classroom routines that you can easily incorporate into your current literacy instruction that will solidify reading and spelling skills
- The most current information on fluency and which types of instruction lead to instant word recognition
- How to deliver innovative and effective job-embedded professional development for your staff
- How to adapt current resources so that they are appropriate for use with students who have or may have dyslexia
- How to scaffold teacher development
- Classroom-proven techniques to maximize literacy block time
- All participants will leave with an extensive digital resource training handbook filled with tools needed for your own trainings, including tips for training your staff
A Message from Your Seminar Leader
As educators, we are charged with providing our students with the strong foundation of literacy skills that they need in order to be successful in school and in life. But any experienced educator or literacy leader knows that it is no easy task! We've all worked with students who have had difficulty learning to read and spell … even despite our best efforts to teach them. The result can be frustration on the part of the students and the teachers. Happily, it does not have to be this way.
Thanks to the latest research findings, we better understand how reading occurs in the brain and why some students experience difficulty in learning to read. We have the knowledge we need to help students with dyslexia build efficient neural pathways that are required for reading success. Perhaps the best news of all is that the highly effective, research-based techniques that are recommended for students with dyslexia, are the same techniques that can improve the literacy development of all of our learners!
Over the course of my career, I have amassed a wealth of highly practical information, resources, strategies, tips, and techniques that can help you optimize your literacy instruction. Join me at this unique, two-day train-the-trainer institute to discover valuable tools and practical strategies that your schools can use immediately to help students who are struggling every day with reading and spelling. You'll also walk away with tips, tricks, and resources for training your colleagues in these highly effective practices.
I am excited to spend two days with your team of reading educators and teacher leaders, talking about the science of reading, and sharing teacher-friendly, time-efficient strategies that you can take back to your districts, schools and classroom to help your dyslexic students thrive. I look forward to meeting you at the institute!
P.S. As an experienced teacher educator, I understand the unique challenges your team faces in meeting the needs of struggling readers. This leadership institute is designed to give your schools what they need to help students with dyslexia find a pathway to greater success!
Who Should Attend
Teacher Leaders, Professional Development Trainers, Literacy Coaches, Reading Specialists, Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Curriculum Directors, and Administrators Serving Grades K-6
Special Benefits of Attending
- Extensive Digital Resource Handbook:
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook designed specifically for this two-day institute. The handbook includes:
- Practical, research-based teaching techniques and classroom activities for helping your staff better support students who have or may have dyslexia
- Important information on what dyslexia is, what it isn't, and how to identify children at risk for reading difficulty
- Information to share with colleagues on reading pathways in the brain and how to build those pathways for literacy success, especially for students with dyslexia
- Games and activities to reinforce critical reading and spelling skills
- Meet and Share:
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their reading and literacy programs.
- Consultation Available:
Heather Kenny will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.