Helping Students Meet or Exceed Your State Standards in MATHEMATICS
Presented by Beatrice Moore Luchin
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Middle School Mathematics Teachers; High School Mathematics Teachers Teaching Grades 9, 10, General Mathematics, Algebra and Geometry; Interventionists, Resource Specialists; Special Education Staff; Instructional Aides; and Administrators
- Dozens of practical strategies for helping students meet or exceed your state standards in grades 6-12 math classes
- Highly effective techniques to increase student engagement in reasoning and sense-making in secondary mathematics classes
- Proven assessment tools to quickly and accurately measure your students’ understanding of skills, concepts and “habits of mind” included in your state mathematics standards
- Classroom-tested strategies and activities to increase your students’ achievement, understanding and motivation in mathematics
- Demonstrations, ready-to-use activities and an extensive resource handbook filled with practical strategies to enhance the instruction of your state mathematics standards in grades 6-12 math courses
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this dynamic, fast-paced seminar, Beatrice Moore Luchin will provide you with practical instructional strategies – designed specifically for grades 6-12 mathematics classrooms – that will challenge and motivate your students and assist you in helping students to meet and exceed your state mathematics standards. Beatrice will show you innovative ways to connect mathematics to the real world of secondary students and teach them how to make sense of what they learn.
Through the use of powerful, interactive activities to build algebraic understanding, outstanding models for integrating geometry and measurement, and techniques for teaching students to reason and communicate their mathematical reasoning – all key ideas that are part of your math standards – you will be introduced to fresh approaches for enhancing your teaching of your rigorous state standards in mathematics.
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with innovative, practical ideas you can use immediately in your own grades 6-12 mathematics classes
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Enhance Your Teaching of Your State Math Standards
How to enhance your instruction of reasoning, sense-making and developing the “habits of mind” that your state math standards promote
- Discover Valuable Strategies for Teaching the Standards
Explore practical strategies to emphasize your state math standards in your instruction … Proven ways to enhance your current math curriculum to better teach the rigorous math standards
- Improve Your Students’ Reasoning Skills
Step-by-step techniques to develop reasoning habits on a continuing basis in each of your math classes … Proven strategies to foster your students’ reasoning related to ratios, similar figures and more
- Make Math Accessible to ALL Your Students
Learn proven strategies for successfully teaching your state standards to all of your students … Outstanding ideas for compacting math lessons for gifted students, modifying them for students who struggle, and using proven immersion strategies for English language learners
- Acquire Valuable, Timesaving Assessment Techniques
See a variety of ways to assess your students’ progress informally … Discover alternative methods for assessment that will save you time and paperwork, and help guide your instructional decisions on a daily basis
- Incorporate Rigor Required by Your State Math Standards
Discover instructional strategies and activities that generate interest and challenge students to think deeply … Ideas, tips and examples to empower your students to tackle challenging concepts
- Link Your Math Instruction to Relevant, Real-World Examples
Your state math standards are designed to give students the skills to function optimally in solving problems they will encounter in college and careers … How to use real-world problems to focus student learning and demonstrate the power of thinking mathematically
- Discover Practical Strategies to Modify and Use Your Existing Materials
See how to modify your existing materials to meet the rigor required with state standards and college readiness … Examples, activities and demonstrations to help you make the necessary modifications
- Implement Effective Techniques to Monitor Your Students’ Mastery
Receive practical, easy-to-implement models of both formative and summative assessments to guide your instruction … See innovative ways to monitor students’ mastery of content vocabulary, conceptual understanding and algorithms
- Receive an Extensive Math Standards Resource Handbook
You’ll leave this outstanding, fast-paced seminar with a valuable resource handbook packed with assessment ideas, examples, resources, websites, tips, and tools designed specifically to help you better teach your state math standards in grades 6-12 mathematics classes.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, effective ways to enhance your teaching of your state math standards
- Techniques for better integrating the core standards into your instruction using your current math curriculum
- How to create rigorous, engaging lessons better aligned with your state math standards
- Step-by-step techniques to develop your students’ reasoning habits on a continuing basis
- Multiple, effective informal assessment strategies that will save you time and paperwork
- Outstanding ways to engage all learners – from compacting to modifying your lessons – so everyone masters the standards
- Proven strategies for fostering independent learners and accomplished problem solvers – key concepts of your state standards
- Innovative ways to incorporate multiple representations to foster understanding
- Simple techniques for drawing models that students will cling to and apply independently
- How to seamlessly include the NCTM Mathematical Practices in your daily math lessons
- Clear steps to improve oral and written communication and understanding
- Valuable scaffolding techniques to successfully teach your state math standards to ALL learners
- Ready-to-use strategies to unlock the power of student-to-student interaction and dialogue
- How to use real-world problems to focus student learning on mastering the rigorous core standards
- Practical techniques for assigning homework that gets done and contributes to student learning
- How to capitalize on the value of “wait time” to engage all learners
- How to use partner sharing techniques to increase understanding of critical core standard skills, concepts and “habits of mind”
- Easy-to-use ideas to increase the mathematical vocabulary proficiency of your students
- How to build a strong algebraic foundation in grades 6 and 8 so that students are well prepared for Algebra
- Creative strategies that help students develop a depth of understanding and ability to apply mathematics to novel situations
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Throughout this fast-paced seminar, I will share dozens of ways to create rigorous, engaging lessons aligned with your state math standards and easy-to-use ideas to increase your students’ conceptual understanding of mathematics, vocabulary proficiency and multiple representations. I will also share dozens of highly effective assessment strategies that will provide valuable insight into students’ understanding, and save you time and paperwork. We will look at a wealth of proven activities and techniques that work for me as a secondary math teacher and work for the teachers I coach – outstanding ideas you can use tomorrow in your own mathematics classroom.
In addition, you will learn classroom-proven techniques to significantly increase your students’ abilities to master your state standards, including their critical abilities to reason and make sense of the mathematics we teach. These practical strategies are effective for all learners, including struggling students, in understanding the skills, concepts and “habits of mind” that are critical components of the rigorous standards.
We know that the state standards in mathematics are designed to give our students the skills to function optimally in solving problems they will encounter in college and careers. I will share how I use real-world problems with my secondary students to focus their learning and show them the power of thinking mathematically.
I am passionate about mathematics education, enhancing our effectiveness as teachers, and creating stimulating environments that allow students to flourish and learn to love mathematics. I look forward to meeting you and sharing dozens of ideas, activities and strategies that will lead to your increased success in teaching your state math standards in your own classroom.
Beatrice Moore Luchin
P.S. The focus of this seminar will be on proven, practical strategies that you can use immediately to emphasize the state math standards in your grades 6-12 classroom instruction.
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Middle School Mathematics Teachers; High School Mathematics Teachers teaching Grades 9, 10, General Mathematics, Algebra and Geometry; Interventionists, Resource Specialists; Special Education Staff; Instructional Aides; and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical strategies for teaching the state math standards in grades 6-12
- A wealth of outstanding student activities that can be used immediately in your own secondary math classes
- Highly effective ways to positively impact your students’ mathematics achievements
- Dozens of ready-to-use activities, lesson samples and reproducibles you can use immediately
- Proven assessment techniques to monitor your students’ mastery of content vocabulary, conceptual understanding and algorithms
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in teaching the state math standards in their secondary mathematics classes.
Beatrice Moore Luchin will be available at the seminar to answer questions regarding the unique needs of your own secondary mathematics program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.