Distance Learning: Successful, Practical Strategies for Your ELL Students
Presented by Tricia Cecil
Specifically Designed for Educators serving K-12: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers who teach ELL Students, Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
- Key instructional elements that will make any lesson more accessible to ELLs with minimum teacher preparation
- Practical and effective strategies to enhance English language development in a virtual classroom while making grade level content accessible
- Timesaving ways to prepare and use instructional strategies online
- Make Reading and Writing fun and engaging for ELLs online through mixed group collaboration
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This NEW live online seminar is designed for K-12 educators who want to strengthen their distance learning online for their ELL students using research and brain-based instructional strategies. Instructional Specialist, Tricia Cecil, will demonstrate instructional moves in the online environment that benefit language learners AND are designed with the whole class in mind. Explore what works best with each type of ELL and how to leverage their strengths. Common classroom discussion, reading, and writing activities do not always successfully translate into the virtual classroom, but the strategies shown in this seminar will have your ELL students participating more often, gaining confidence and developing language skills while achieving content objectives.
Tricia will share her practical and timesaving techniques using a variety of online tools to best meet ELL student needs. No matter your experience level with distance learning or working with ELL students, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of ideas you can implement in your virtual classroom tomorrow. You will also receive an extensive digital Distance Learning with ELLs resource handbook filled with step -by-step instructions, templates, and other helpful materials to extend your learning after the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Maximize Learning at Each Stage of Language Acquisition
Learn how to use low and no-prep scaffolds to facilitate English development while learning content at every phase of development whether teaching in-person or online
- Increase Participation in Discussion and Collaborative Online Group Activities
Authentic ways to incorporate more student talk into your lessons … Strategies that lead to increased motivation and engagement, especially in distance learning
- Shift Your Thinking from WHAT Students Should Learn to HOW Students Learn
See how you can easily offer more differentiated choices whether teaching online or in-person
- More Easily Deliver Personalized Feedback
Deliver clear, personalized feedback to students that they will actually use … Quick, informative feedback that motivates and increases learning even when you're working in a distance learning format
- Utilize Strengths and Maximize Learning and Motivation
Discover which resources help you uncover ELL student strengths … Learn new ways to build on those to improve learning in both a traditional or virtual classroom
- Make Learning 21st Century Skills More Accessible
Discover new, low prep activities that enhance creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills in your virtual or in-person classroom
- Learn Alternatives to Lecture as a Form of Direct Instruction
Transition student learning from passive to active … Shift from lecture style teaching to a more interactive approach to improve learning for your ELL students
- Strategies to Incorporate Choice and Differentiation in the Virtual Classroom
Leverage student choice and voice so that ELLs are learning in their personal zone of proximal development
- Eliminate Common Stumbling Blocks for ELL Students in Each Content Area
Ensure that students have a variety of tools to overcome language barriers … Strategies ideal for distance learning
- Receive an Extensive Digital ELL Resource Handbook
You will receive a digital resource handbook, specially designed for this seminar and filled with outstanding strategies, tips and solutions for strengthening your ELL students' engagement and academic achievement – whether you are teaching at school or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best instructional strategies to engage grades K-12 ELLs during distance learning using research-based techniques
- Learn what happens at each stage of English Language Development and discover important, low-prep scaffolds for each
- The most effective ways to offer differentiated choices to fit everyone in your virtual classroom without increasing your workload
- Dozens of strategies to create a sense of community and strengthen relationships in your virtual class while teaching skills and/or content
- Uncover your ELL students' strengths and how to better use them to increase engagement and confidence
- How to offer "unplugged" lessons away from devices and seamlessly blend them with the necessary online communication
- Why Bloom's Taxonomy works so well when turned upside down for ELL students and how that translates to a distance learning environment
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Currently, Distance Learning is no longer an optional activity for educators. Many of us joined the teaching profession to interact with students in a face-to-face classroom setting. Recently, we have all scrambled to learn how to teach online for the first time. We did this without much warning and often without the training needed to effectively serve special populations such as our ELL students. The increased workload so many of us experienced was daunting and exhausting. But, teaching online with language learners in your virtual classroom can be fun, energizing and doesn't mean you have to stay up all night preparing for the next day. Learning how to use specific, easy-to-implement instructional strategies can show you how rewarding the virtual classroom can be.
As an experienced teacher with an extensive background in technology and instruction, I have specifically designed this seminar with you in mind. Whether you find yourself back in a traditional classroom, creating a blended learning environment, or teaching in a distance learning environment, I know we all want to help our ELL students engage and succeed. Much like you, my classes over the years have presented me with ELL students of all learning types and backgrounds. Using a combination of tech tools and classroom tested strategies, I can help you maximize your effectiveness. I want to share with you a variety of tech tools and teaching strategies that build community, improve academic skills, and increase learning whether you are teaching in-person or online. Let me take the challenge of figuring out how to combine these tools with the instructional strategies you may already use. I would love to spend the day with you as we all learn the best ways to navigate this new, tech-centered learning environment our students call their classroom.
I look forward to sharing the best of what works and how to avoid common pitfalls based on my experience with ELLs and technology. I will provide you a comprehensive list of tools and strategies as well as pro-tips to save you time and effort. It is my sincere goal that you leave this seminar excited about returning to try out many of the new ideas that you learn.
I look forward to meeting you!
P.S. I guarantee you will leave my seminar with many outstanding strategies you can use right away whether you are teaching online or in-person!
Who Should Attend
Educators serving K-12: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers who teach ELL Students, Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Step by step guides for all the practical and time-saving strategies presented for both online and in-person teaching
- Checklist of common pitfalls and how to eliminate them from your online lessons
- Tools to help you improve your knowledge of your ELL students
- Examples of distance learning strategies from a variety of grade levels and content areas
- Digital templates to improve student learning at all stages of language development
- Lesson and unit planning resources to save you time
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Tricia Cecil will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.