RESTORATIVE DISCIPLINE: Help Students Change Their Behavior and Improve Their Learning
Presented by Patricia Wells
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12 Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Counselors, Support Personnel, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- Proven Restorative Discipline approaches that decrease the need for traditional or punitive approaches and increase instructional time
- Practical strategies for addressing problematic behavior, teaching students skills to deal with difficult situations and increasing their desire to act more responsibly and respectfully
- Teacher-tested strategies to build a more productive learning environment, create quality relationships, strengthen interpersonal skills, and promote high-quality instruction
- Innovative techniques for more effectively using a restorative mindset approach in the classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this seminar, Tricia Wells, nationally recognized expert on restorative practices, will share numerous preventive measures that are designed to build skills and attitudes in students while producing healthy and productive relationships among students and staff. You will learn a proven system of restorative practices that repair damaged relationships through reflective conversations that give students an opportunity to become aware of the harm they have caused and develop plans to make amends and move forward with a more positive attitude and behavior in the future.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive resource handbook, a wealth of ideas for utilizing a restorative discipline approach and a renewed desire to make a difference in the lives of your most challenging students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Significantly Decrease Discipline Problems While Increasing Instructional Time
Discover the most essential Restorative Discipline practices designed to address student behaviors that impede learning … Increase instructional time and promote accountability
- Decrease Disruptive Behaviors and Strengthen Students’ Social-Emotional Skills
Build your repertoire of Restorative Discipline strategies to maximize your effectiveness in decreasing inappropriate behaviors and rewarding appropriate ones … Help students learn and develop positive social-emotional skills
- Increase Student Accountability, Responsibility and Access to the Curriculum
Learn explicit restorative strategies that dramatically decrease misbehavior and increase student accountability and responsibility … Gain practical, easy-to-implement strategies that gain back and increase valuable instructional time
- Address and Prevent Angry, Maladaptive or Dangerous Student Behaviors
Intervene effectively with students who have a history of escalating their disruptions
- Develop a Responsive Classroom
Decrease the need for traditional discipline practices with specific and practical approaches for developing a classroom focused on dignity, inclusiveness and shared responsibility
- Switch the Emphasis from Catching Students Misbehaving to Helping them Learn and Grow
Gain restorative strategies for using student mistakes in behavior as an opportunity for them to learn and focus on more positive, productive behaviors in the future
- Utilize Constructive, Restorative Alternatives to Suspension and Detention that Focus on Teaching and Learning Rather than Punishment
Learn how to create a restorative mindset that focuses on keeping students successfully in school and shifts the focus from rules to relationships
- Build Greater Trust and Respect
Discover ways to incorporate an invitational style of classroom management that builds trust, respect and optimism in students and staff
- Respond Effectively to Problematic Behavior
Master how to specifically respond to difficult, disruptive behavior without losing control of your emotions … Successfully interact with your most challenging students while keeping each student’s dignity intact (and your own)
- Receive a Valuable Restorative Discipline Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in this seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The most effective Restorative Discipline methods for decreasing the need for traditional discipline while increasing instructional time for students
- Proven Restorative Discipline techniques that reduce student misbehavior
- How to view misbehaviors and conflicts as “teachable moments”
- Outstanding teaching strategies that help teachers implement necessary corrective discipline without resorting to consequences that are unrelated, unreasonable or disrespectful
- Effective methods for reducing behavior referrals and discipline-related time outside of class
- Strategies for increasing students’ interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to foster genuine personal accountability and responsibility
- Verbal skills that help students manage conflict, own their behavior and express empathy
- Proven alternatives to rewards and punishment
- A wealth of practical ideas for building positive relationships between students and educators, building greater trust, respect, and rapport
- Positive approaches that move students away from punishment and along a continuum from inappropriate behavior to remorse to making amends
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Nothing can undermine learning and classroom climate, not to mention teacher morale, more quickly than frequent disruptive behaviors. When they are recurring they can steal up to 50 percent of instructional time. Many teachers attempt to solve classroom discipline problems with rules and penalties, but these approaches do little to build the productive classroom environments that they seek. Fortunately, classroom disruptions can be eliminated. The solution rests primarily in preventing problems before they start, not merely trying to suppress the behavior. Using restorative strategies to teach, encourage or correct behavior can swiftly reduce disruptions. These research-based approaches ensure that procedures become routine. It’s time to stop trying to control students and instead build attitudes, behaviors and relationships that support learning and lead to permanent positive behavior change.
I have guided hundreds of schools across the country to create unique, positive climates and cultures where respect and responsibility flourish and students feel welcome, safe and secure. I have an unrelenting commitment to today’s youth, especially those who are troubled or troublesome by virtue of their behavior. I am also committed to helping schools utilize approaches that lead to the success of all students. Let me help you learn concrete strategies to create a well-disciplined classroom through a positive and proactive teaching approach I know really works.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. The process, practical strategies and proven protocols I will be sharing in this seminar are research-based and have made a significant difference in hundreds of schools throughout North America.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12 Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Counselors, Support Personnel, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies for transforming your discipline system to one based on restorative practices that foster learning and growth
- Effective verbal skills that decrease conflict, promote intellectual intelligence and communicate respect and caring
- Techniques for helping students replace negative attitudes with positive ones
- Clear steps on how to help students give up the victim stance and take personal responsibility for their choices and actions
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their discipline program.
Tricia Wells will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own discipline program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.