Improving Learning Outcomes for All Students in Your SCIENCE Classroom (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Elizabeth Mirra
Specifically Designed for Educators Who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical strategies for designing science instruction to help ALL students achieve in science
- Classroom-tested, research-based instructional strategies that work in diverse, inclusive science classrooms
- Highly effective ways to more deeply incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards in your science instruction to improve student achievement
- Proven techniques for selecting the right phenomena to engage even the most reluctant learners in science
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Science has been called “the great equalizer.” It helps to create a scientifically literate population, creates career-ready students, and helps attracts students to the fields of science and engineering. All students see increases in achievement when engaged in high quality science instruction and non-mainstream and less privileged populations see the greatest impacts from those learning experiences. So how do we create instructional opportunities that maximize these outcomes for all students? In this seminar specifically designed for 6-12 science classroom teachers, learn the research-based classroom-proven strategies that have a positive impact on increasing student engagement and improving student outcomes in our increasingly diverse and inclusive science classrooms. You’ll leave with tools and resources that you can take back and put to use immediately.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Dramatically Improve Science Learning Outcomes for ALL Students
Discover proven strategies to help diverse students master the NGSS standards
- Utilize Timesaving Techniques for Differentiating Science Instruction
Discover time-efficient ways to differentiate science instruction to better meet diverse student needs … Learn proven ways to provide enrichment and remediation in your science instruction
- More Effectively Incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards in Your Science Instruction
Learn from an enthusiastic secondary science teacher and national presenter practical ways to more effectively align your science instruction with the NGSS and improve the learning outcomes for all of your students
- Engage Students Through Powerful Anchoring Phenomena
Learn how to choose the best phenomena that will engage your students – even reluctant learners
- Receive Take-Home Strategies for Scaffolding Scientific Writing
Learn ready-to-use ways to scaffold scientific writing for English Language Learners and students with writing disabilities
- Incorporate Formative Assessments into Your Classroom Instruction
Being able to monitor student understanding is essential to ensuring all students achieve the standards … Uncover practical ways to streamline this process
- Make Your Science Classroom More Three-Dimensional to Increase Student Success
Learn how integrating science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas into our daily science lesson plans is the key to meeting students’ diverse needs and enabling their success in science
- Create a Rigorous, Student-Centered Science Classroom
Acquire strategies that encourage students to take greater ownership of challenging concepts
- Help Students Make Greater Sense of Phenomena Through the Science and Engineering Practices
The science and engineering practices are a game changer – they put students in positions of being knowers, doers and makers and are a critical component to promoting student equity … Here’s how
- Receive an Extensive Science Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with practical strategies, lessons, tips, and much more to improve science learning outcomes
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven strategies for helping diverse students in inclusive classrooms master the science standards
- Where to find engaging anchoring phenomena to drive instruction in your classroom
- How to choose the phenomena that will work best for the students in your classroom
- What three-dimensional learning driven by a phenomenon can look like in diverse, inclusive classrooms
- Highly effective ways to use the science and engineering practices to maximize students learning
- Ways to make student thinking visible and formatively assess students with limited English proficiency or writing disabilities
- Practical ways to differentiate instruction so that struggling students are supported and excelling students are challenged
- Powerful techniques for teaching students to engage in focused, productive science discourse
- Proven strategies for structuring and facilitating science talk and argumentation
- Classroom-tested supports and scaffolds to help English language learners and students with learning disabilities succeed with scientific writing
- Where to find the best free paper-and-pencil and online assessments that align with the NGSS
- How to make assessments accessible and equitable for all learners
- Proven methods to significantly increase student motivation in learning science
- Practical ways to use the science and engineering practices to strengthen your instruction and meet student learning needs
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Each year our science classrooms are becoming more diverse and including students with a variety of backgrounds, learning differences, and prior knowledge of science. I know in my classroom, it’s not uncommon to have a high performing student sitting next to a student that is a nonreader. There are also students with limited English proficiency, students with learning disabilities and students that have just transitioned back from an alternative placement in the same classroom. Most educators find it challenging to meet all the diverse needs of these very different students.
Fortunately, there are research-based strategies that I have personally implemented in my science classroom that have turned this seemingly impossible teaching scenario into a successful learning environment for my students. Come spend the day with me so that I can share with you how to increase your students’ engagement and motivation in learning science, how to design learning opportunities that help ALL students master the science standards and how to create equitable and accessible assessments of student learning.
I invite you to join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your classroom and immediately implement the resources and cutting-edge instructional techniques I will share at this seminar. To help support this experience, you will be provided with an extensive digital resource handbook that includes the resources shared during the seminar. I will respect your time by only sharing the best resources and strategies to help ALL your students be successful in learning science.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
P.S. As an experienced secondary educator, I understand the extra effort it takes to be out of the classroom. I promise you that our day together will be worth your time and that you will leave with dozens of ready-to-use, practical ideas and strategies you can implement immediately.
Who Should Attend
Educators Who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step guides for implementing the strategies with your students in virtual or face-to-face learning environments
- Resources for making science learning accessible for all students in diverse, inclusive learning environments
- The best websites for finding free instructional and assessment materials that align with the NGSS
- Sample units for the content and grade level you teach that you could implement with students
- Classroom-tested templates and scaffolds for differentiating science instruction
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Elizabeth Mirra will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.