Improve Student Learning in CHEMISTRY (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Elizabeth Mirra
Specifically Designed for Educators Who Teach Chemistry in Grades 6-12
- Practical, evidence-based strategies for successfully increasing student learning of chemistry topics
- Classroom-tested, research-based instructional strategies that maintain rigor and work in diverse, inclusive chemistry classrooms
- Highly effective ways to more deeply incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) in your chemistry instruction and improve student achievement
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with dozens of teaching tips, instructional strategies, and educational resources for enhancing learning of chemistry topics
Chemistry is often called the "central science" for good reason. Developing a deep understanding of the basic principles of chemistry is an essential prerequisite to learning not only more advanced chemistry topics but also ideas found in the biological sciences, earth and space sciences or physics realms. Yet, learning the ideas of chemistry are not straightforward. Chemistry ideas are abstract and happen on scales that are often too small or too large to easily comprehend. Students often do not understand, only partially understand, or indeed misunderstand many of the key concepts of chemistry. So how do we create instructional opportunities that minimize this confusion and maximize student outcomes? In this NEW seminar specifically designed for Grades 6-12 chemistry classroom teachers, outstanding chemistry teacher, LIZ MIRRA, shares the best, research-based classroom-proven strategies that have a positive impact on increasing student engagement and improving student outcomes in our increasingly diverse and inclusive chemistry classrooms. Join Liz for a fast-paced, engaging day and leave with dozens of tools and resources that you can take back and put to use immediately in your chemistry classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Student Learning
Leave with dozens of ways to enhance your existing chemistry curriculum … Access an abundance of materials, lessons, programs, and activities that embrace best practices in chemistry instruction
- Help Your Struggling Students
Discover proven strategies to help struggling students be more successful in learning chemistry topics
- More Effectively Incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards into Your Chemistry Instruction
Learn from an enthusiastic secondary science teacher and national presenter practical ways to more effectively align your science instruction with the NGSS and improve the learning outcomes for all of your students
- Strengthen Inquiry Learning
Familiarize yourself with research-based methods for enhancing existing lessons and activities through encouraging students to be active and innovative participants in inquiry-based classroom learning … Strengthen collaboration and improve outcomes
- Engage Students Through Powerful Anchoring Phenomena
Learn how to choose the best phenomena that will engage your students – even reluctant learners
- Timesaving Monitoring Techniques
Being able to monitor student understanding is essential to ensuring all students achieve in chemistry … Uncover practical ways to streamline this process
- Make Your Science Classroom More Three-Dimensional to Increase Student Success
Learn how integrating science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas into your daily science lesson plans is the key to meeting students' diverse needs and enabling their success in chemistry
- Create a Rigorous, Student-Centered Science Classroom
Acquire strategies that encourage students to take greater ownership of challenging concepts
- Help Students Engage with the Science and Engineering Practices
The science and engineering practices are a game changer – they put students in positions of being knowers, doers, and makers and are a critical component to promoting student equity and increasing learning … Here's how
- Receive an Extensive Chemistry Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive chemistry digital resource handbook filled with practical strategies, lessons, resources, and much more to improve chemistry learning outcomes
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven methods for developing learner-centered activities that will motivate students to investigate chemistry topics
- A multitude of useful and valuable classroom-ready ideas to encourage science inquiry through challenging, chemistry-focused learning experiences
- Useful resources that will motivate and inspire your students
- Unique ideas for embracing the practices of science to hone your students' questioning, modeling, and collaboration skills
- Methods for incorporating highly effective, authentic, real-world problem-solving challenges into your existing chemistry program
- Proven strategies for helping students master rigorous chemistry topics
- How to choose phenomena that will work best for the students in your classroom
- What three-dimensional learning driven by a phenomenon can look like in chemistry classrooms
- Highly effective ways to use the science and engineering practices to maximize students' learning
- Practical ways to differentiate instruction so that struggling students are supported and excelling students are challenged
- Where to find three-dimensional assessments that align with chemistry standards
- How to effectively integrate the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas into your daily lesson plans in order to meet students' needs and enable their success in chemistry
A Message from Your Seminar Leader
Helping students to understand the complex concepts of chemistry is not easy. Many of the ideas are abstract and require an understanding of very large or very small scales that are not easily quantified. On top of that, each year our chemistry classrooms are becoming more diverse and including students with a variety of backgrounds, learning differences, and prior experiences learning chemistry. I know in my chemistry classroom, it's not uncommon to have a high performing student sitting next to a student that is a nonreader. Most educators find it challenging to meet the needs of these very different students while maintaining a rigorous chemistry curriculum.
Fortunately, there are research-based strategies that I have personally implemented in my chemistry classroom that have turned this seemingly impossible teaching scenario into a successful learning environment for my students. Come spend the day with me so that I can share with you how to increase your students' engagement and motivation in learning chemistry, how to design learning opportunities that help ALL students master the abstract concepts of chemistry, and how to find and create three-dimensional assessments of chemistry concepts.
I invite you to join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your chemistry classroom and immediately implement the resources and cutting-edge instructional techniques I will share at this seminar. To help support this experience, you will be provided with an extensive digital resource handbook that includes the resources shared during the seminar.
I look forward to meeting you online at the seminar!
P.S. As an experienced chemistry teacher, I understand the extra effort it takes to be out of the classroom. I promise you that our day together will be worth your time and that you will leave with dozens of ready-to-use, practical ideas, strategies, and resources you can implement immediately.
Who Should Attend
Educators Who Teach Chemistry in Grades 6-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step guides for implementing the strategies with your students in virtual or face-to-face learning environments
- Resources for making science learning accessible for all students in diverse, inclusive learning environments
- The best websites for finding free instructional and assessment materials that align with the NGSS
- Sample units for the content and grade level you teach that you could implement with students
- Classroom-tested templates and scaffolds for differentiating science instruction
For in-person seminars, registrants will also receive a printed copy of the resource handbook as long as their registration is received in the BER office at least 15 calendar days before the event.
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their chemistry program.
Elizabeth Mirra will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own chemistry program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.