MAKERSPACES: Creating Motivating, Engaging Work Spaces for Your LIBRARY
Presented by Tricia Kuon
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Increase student interest and learning in your library through engaging and meaningful MAKERSPACES
- See examples of great library MAKERSPACES from across the country
- Numerous cost-efficient ideas to help you maximize your time and resources
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with ideas designed specifically for creating and extending MAKERSPACES to fit the needs of your school or community
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This exciting seminar has been designed to help strengthen library programs through engaging Makerspaces. Using Makerspaces meets the following needs:
- Provides access and opportunity to use a variety of tools and technology
- Emphasizes the 5 Cs of 21st Century Learning: collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, communication, and citizenship
- Aligns with curriculum to extend and enhance classroom instruction
- Allows for STEAM activities and experiences
- Turns libraries into spaces for absorbing and creating knowledge
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Develop a Makerspace Plan to Meet the Needs of your Library Community
Are you wondering where to start as you think about how to implement Makerspaces into your Library space? You will develop a thorough plan to guide your making moving forward
- Develop Better Direction and Focus with Makerspace Goals
Extensive modeling of Makerspace goal setting … Improve the direction and focus of YOUR Makerspace
- Numerous Cost-Efficient Ideas to Help You Maximize Your Time and Resources
You don’t have to start from scratch and spend hours of time planning – use what you already have and add to it along the way … Tricia will show you how!
- Develop Makerspaces that Support Essential 21st Century Learning Skills
Makerspaces go beyond fun by building an environment where creating, collaborating, critical thinking, and communication are essential
- Learn About the Benefits of Using a Makerspace Framework to Guide Your Makerspace Planning
Are you wondering what a Makerspace is and what it is not? We will talk about two great models to help guide your making activities: the uTEC model and Tricia’s own Book & Build model (perfect for librarians who want to combine making with literature)
- Connect Making to Your Read Alouds, Booktalks, and Library Lessons
Learn how Makerspaces support and reinforce your already existing curriculum
- Move Beyond Tinkering to Create Higher Level Learning
Connecting to your lessons is a great way to start; let’s explore how to go beyond tinkering to create higher level learning experiences for students … Discover a framework for making Makerspaces even more powerful
- Make Time and Space for Makerspaces
In an already busy schedule, and in an already crowded space, how can you possibly implement this great new practice? Let’s talk about what others are doing and what might work best for you
- Learn How Making Can Lead to Inventing and Why Inventing Matters
Learn how to help your students connect to their ideas and problem-solve their way to inventing
- Receive an Extensive Makerspaces Digital Resource Handbook
Leave with a digital resource handbook filled with the newest ideas, strategies, and tips for creating and enhancing library Makerspaces
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of ways to develop an inviting, thriving library environment with Makerspaces
- How to get started or enhance your existing Makerspaces
- The hottest trends in Makerspace creation and how you can use them in your library
- Numerous resources to help you create or adapt what other librarians are doing with Makerspaces
- Current research to see what is being done and what’s WORKING
- How to develop goals to clarify what Makerspaces are, why, and how you are using them in your program
- Ideas for inexpensive Makerspaces AND ways to fund your Makerspace needs
- Use Makerspaces to boost STEAM skills for every student by tapping into the power of inventing
- How to use a framework to make sure your Makerspaces challenge students to higher-order thinking
- Best practices, tips and tricks from successful Makerspace creators
- Make your library more inviting for all students using innovative Makerspaces
- How the library media specialist is indispensable in the Makerspace revolution
- Time and money-saving tips and strategies
- Greatly enhance your library with Makerspaces – ideas you can use!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Like many of you, I had become accustomed to the idea of being the school’s official book person and technology guru who helped students and teachers find books and resources while providing new technologies. This Makerspace concept was new to me. I was worried about many issues and questions that could arise:
- What is it?
- Why am I doing it?
- Is this just playing?
- Why are we playing in the library?
- What will the students learn?
- Is it messy? Is it loud?
- Why am I doing something messy and loud in the library?
- Will the students like it?
- Will the teachers and administrators like it?
- How much will it cost?
- How do I justify the expense?
What I discovered was amazing! Students needed Makerspaces, whether they were learning at school or online. Makerspaces allow for engaged, creative, enthusiastic learning without all of the pressure and anxiety that accompanies most school learning. My Makerspace is so popular, inviting and wonderful that I cannot imagine my library without it. As my Makerspace grew, my understanding of Makerspaces, how to use them, why to use them, and the many significant educational benefits that come with their use has been a revelation. Libraries have been thought of as places for storing knowledge for centuries. Makerspaces allow libraries to be spaces for creating knowledge as well.
In this seminar, we will explore Makerspaces together, looking at how to use them, why to use them, and the many significant educational benefits that come with their use. We will also discuss the importance of the library transforming in accordance to the educational needs of students, how to provide these great strategies both in person and online, and how that transformation makes librarians increasingly indispensable. Mostly, we will engage, create, collaborate, and explore.
Whether you work in an elementary, middle, or high school, or a public library, this seminar will provide you with the motivation, strategies and resources to start up your own successful Makerspace or enhance your existing library Makerspace.
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical, budget-friendly ideas that will have you establishing thriving Makerspaces in your library!
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical techniques and strategies for planning, establishing and enhancing Makerspaces in a school or public library
- Numerous ideas for low-cost or inexpensive Makerspaces
- Specific ways to create engaging Makerspaces to enhance creativity and strengthen STEAM skills
- Ways to generate support and resources for Makerspaces
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in creating motivating work spaces for their libraries.
Tricia Kuon will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own library.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.