Two Day Intensive Literacy Coach Institute
STRENGTHENING YOUR LITERACY PROGRAM:
Powerful Coaching Strategies to Accelerate and Enhance Literacy Achievement
Specifically Designed for K-6 District and School Leaders/Leadership Teams: Literacy Coaches; Reading Specialists and Classroom Teachers on Special Assignment as Reading and Writing Lead Teachers; Professional Development Trainers; and Administrators
- Learn the five key, research-proven tips that will focus and accelerate your effectiveness as a literacy coach
- Examine the top professional development modules that can be utilized in your literacy coaching
- Organize your literacy coaching on the tenets of effective instruction and examine the structures that work best to increase students’ literacy skills
- Specific strategies to use when working with a reluctant or resistive staff member
- Acquire dozens of instantly usable strategies, innovative tips and cutting-edge techniques you can utilize and share with your staff
- See model lessons, classroom video segments and receive an extensive resource handbook packed with a wealth of practical ideas, strategies and activities that will support you in your efforts to effectively work as a literacy coach
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Increase your skills as a literacy coach in this strategy-packed two-day institute led by nationally acclaimed author, literacy coach and expert, Judy Lynch. Over the course of the two days, you will discover how to work with teachers to identify and implement the most effective, cutting-edge, research-based instructional strategies to increase student literacy achievement at classroom, school and district level. You will learn how to develop a strong literacy program that will enhance literacy instruction and strengthen students’ reading and writing skills, and help students meet your state standards.
This is a unique opportunity to evaluate your own literacy instruction in light of the most current research and best practices. Take advantage of this two-day institute and gain new insights and instructional techniques to boost literacy learning. Discover the key components of the most successful literacy programs and how you can adapt them to meet the needs of your own school or district. Gain valuable coaching skills for working with reluctant or even resistant staff members. You will walk away with dozens of practical strategies and an extensive resource handbook to help you lead and teach your teachers. Join Judy and your colleagues for two fast-paced days packed with the best research-based literacy strategies to increase reading and writing skills in your school and district.
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Increasing Your Effectiveness as a Literacy Coach
Plan to attend as a school or district team, a representative team member or district team leader to increase your effectiveness as a literacy coach and enhance the literacy achievement of your students. You will learn how to build on the success of your current program, identify key components that have the greatest impact on student literacy achievement and find specific areas you need to target for implementation and improvement. Leave equipped with coaching skills that are successful with even the most reluctant teachers, specific instructional strategies that accelerate student learning and enhance the literacy instruction within your school or district and proven professional development ideas that engage staff members and have a higher probability of implementation.
Structure Your Literacy Instruction for the Greatest Results and Boost Teacher Expertise AND Student Achievement
Discover both the attributes of highly successful literacy instruction and highly effective coaching strategies that ensure implementation and teacher growth including building teacher instructional expertise in working with struggling students. Strengthen your own coaching skills in working with reluctant teachers and gain valuable ideas for conducting motivating and inspiring professional development opportunities. During these two days, you will learn specific literacy building strategies, highly effective coaching techniques and specific ways to conduct powerful professional development opportunities that can have a major and positive impact on the literacy achievement of your students.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Key components of exemplary literacy instrution that accelerate student learning … Implications for your own school or district program
- Specific intervention strategies to use with struggling students
- How to balance your role as a “literacy expert” and colleague on a staff
- Practical suggestions to organize yourself as an effective literacy coach
- Ready-to-use tips for teachers to organize their classrooms and materials
- How to deliver content most effectively through professional development, in-class modeling and feedback
- Best practices in literacy including comprehension, phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency, and vocabluary
- How to create an effective system to model effective literacy instruction for teachers and provide valuable feedback based on in-class observations
- Specific ways for working with reluctant teachers, new teachers or teachers new to a grade level
- Practical intervention strategies to increase reading and writing competencies
- How to balance what teachers need and what they want from you as their coach
- How to increase your own skills and expertise to meet the specific needs of teachers from kindergarten to 6th grade
- Specific ideas to provide scientifically research-based instruction that will enable you and your teachers to strengthen students’ reading and wrting skills
- Formal and informal assessments to quickly determine what is important to teach for grouping and interventions
- How to build on what you currently have in place by targeting what your students really need and what you can add or change
- Model and coach for five basic, interactive literacy activities that produce independent students
- How to create focused lessons and thinking strategies to teach new content, deepen understanding and increase literacy skills
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
How many hats do you wear at your school or in your district? Like you, I have worn many hats and been assigned many different responsibilities. This seminar will look at practical ways to increase your effectiveness as a Literacy Coach and how to help teachers increase student literacy achievement. You’ll experience hands-on strategies both days to increase your coaching expertise and build on your current coaching model. Grouping, assessment, choosing high-impact materials, and research-proven, best practices are just a few of the topics we will cover. My goal is to bring together the tried and true for coaching and give you a few new twists to make it all manageable.
I want to make these two days practical! Therefore, I will model and give you materials for EIGHT Professional Development modules you can use with your staff or at a district-level training. I will also offer NINE possible choices for in-class modeling and give you guidelines and materials that you can use or adapt to meet your needs. We will see these lessons brought to life in videos at my school or others. Another practical issue for our Literacy Coaching is organization. Prepping for staff development or going into classrooms doesn’t have to be daunting with ideas for materials that can be kept close at hand.
There are special challenges to working with reluctant teachers, new teachers and teachers new to a grade level. The two days will meet the needs of all three groups. I will also help you increase your expertise in all literacy areas. This will reaffirm best practices to our veteran Literacy Coaches and lay the groundwork for those new to coaching. We can go in depth with lessons, strategies and materials so you will leave with renewed confidence about working with your staff or at a district level.
I extend to you a personal invitation with a pledge from me that you’ll leave this two-day institute with dozens of practical strategies for accelerating your effectiveness as a Literacy Coach. You’ll also leave with the extensive resource handbook I wrote specifically for this program to help you work with your staff in professional development and in classes modeling for teachers.
Who Should Attend
K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams: Literacy Coaches; Reading Specialists and Classroom Teachers on Special Assignment as Reading and Writing Lead Teachers; Professional Development Trainers; and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook designed specifically for this two-day institute. The handbook includes:
- Practical coaching tips that have proven successful in increasing teacher effectiveness
- Powerful teaching strategies for K-6 literacy instruction
- Ideas for developing teacher expertise
- Whole class and small group instructional techniques
- And much, much more!
Meet and Share
This institute provides a great opportunity for school and district literacy coaches and leadership teams to meet and share ideas with other literacy coaches who are also interested in practical ways to improve their literacy programs to help students succeed in school.
Judy Lynch will be available throughout the two-day institute for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own Literacy Coaching program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.