Maximizing Your Language Therapy: Innovative Language Interventions for Small Group and Online Instruction (Grades K-6)
Presented by Charlotte Boshart, MA, CCC SLP
Language Therapy Specifically Designed for School SLPs Serving Students in Grades K 6
- Dozens of practical language therapy activities to use with students who have language disorders … Proven ideas for in-person as well as online therapy
- Motivating and highly effective strategies to increase functional and academic vocabulary knowledge and use
- Numerous organizational strategies to systematize and improve your program management
- Receive a detailed digital language therapy resource handbook to support your immediate use of the language therapy techniques
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills have never been more important and most of our students with language disorders have difficulty with all four of these skills. Ever wonder how to cohesively cover semantics, syntax and grammar instruction to significantly impact academic learning and achievement? Char Boshart, an experienced school-based speech-language pathologist, accomplished author and energetic seminar presenter, will clearly answer this question and arm you with insightful and substantive therapy strategies for language and reading. In addition, Char will show you how to maximize the effectiveness of your language therapy whether you are working in-person or online.
Char will show you proven ways to maximize small group and online instruction and share valuable ways to to organize interventions for language disorders that are motivating and highly effective. These therapy-room tested techniques and research-based techniques are specifically designed to connect to classroom instruction.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Build Your Repertoire of Effective High-Engagement Language Intervention Strategies
Discover numerous ready-to-use therapy approaches to promote communicative and academic success by using apps and online activities … Ideas for in-person as well as remote therapy environments
- Acquire Direct and Easy Ways to Connect Verbal Language Therapy with Reading Instruction
Learn evidence-based techniques to improve receptive and expressive language skills … Increase oral vocabulary and stimulate improvement of grammar and syntax – all while improving reading comprehension
- Skillfully Coordinate Language Therapy Lessons with Your State Standards
Become knowledgeable in developmental application – learn what concepts to teach and when to teach them
- Align Therapy Techniques to Students' Learning Styles
Achieve improved results by applying a simplified language therapy sequence of how the brain best learns and retains information … Implement ways to ignite the language and learning processes – even for struggling language-disordered learners
- Understand the SLP's Distinct and Critical Role in Literacy Instruction
Dispel the confusion regarding the SLP's scope of practice in literacy education … Determine where and how the unique contributions of speech-language pathologists can best be utilized
- Implement Multi-Faceted Vocabulary Enrichment Techniques
Learn about the language-loop and how to perpetuate it … Vocabulary, comprehension, sequencing, and fluency as they connect oral and print language outcomes
- Streamline Your Workload – Actually See More Students in Less Time
Choose from several options – including thematic instruction – for servicing your language students during pull-out therapy as well as online instruction
- Increase the Impact of Your Online Therapy
Learn proven ways to increase effectiveness and impact of your online therapy
- Establish a Mutually Beneficial Collaborative Relationship with Teachers and Other Professionals
Explore and learn the language of how teachers teach, how SLPs do therapy and how to generate coordinated collaboration that can be beneficial and achievable
- Receive an Extensive, Procedures-Packed Language Therapy Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a detailed digital resource handbook filled with practical language therapy strategies presented during this seminar ideal for use in both in-person and online therapy
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to generate "content consistency" from session to session … Create developmentally appropriate language tasks via thematic organization and strategies … Practical applications for in-person as well as online therapy environments
- Motivating ways – including a full list of language apps – to meet the needs of a variety of students … Apply powerful processes to improve language skills, especially vital vocabulary knowledge and use
- Dynamic methods to increase students' vocabulary, from basic concepts to curriculum-based vocabulary … Learn why vocabulary is vital and how to select the "best" words to use in therapy
- Innovative and easy-to-use language therapy ideas … Activities for vocabulary, grammar, syntax, high-level language concepts, as well as reading fluency – Proven ideas for in-person and online therapy
- How to inexpensively create numerous effective therapy materials … Receive a practical list of more than 20 FREE websites to add to your therapy repertoire
- How to increase your professional influence and extend the impact of your therapy program … Discover simple ways to tactfully share yourself and your knowledge with others – build confidence and credibility
- Eye-opening ideas to easily merge current language lessons with print language … Explore the methods and benefits of how to organize your therapy into "Discrete" activities and "Naturalistic" activities
- Fresh new perspectives and easy-to-apply language activities … Update your language interventions to better, and more effectively, address oral and print language skills with your elementary-age students
- Step-by-step, practical techniques to assist in differentiated instruction … Learn how to make language interventions explicit, systematic, beneficial, and enjoyable whether you are working in-person or online
- Detailed tasks to develop language lessons that challenge and engage students … Adapt activities that incorporate storybooks, sight-word stories, poetry, articles, and reader's theater
- More efficient and effective ways to format your interactive style … The process of how to present information so students learn, retain and apply – You'll enjoy learning how to utilize the "Information Processing Model" in your therapy
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As an SLP with more than 30 years of experience, I'm convinced that SLPs are the experts in language disorders and this seminar shares many new language therapy strategies to use with our pull-out students. But, just what is it we should do in this arena called "literacy"? Where does our language therapy fit in with reading? How do we modify our caseloads to accommodate this new approach to therapy? How do we ease our way into this role without subjugating anyone else's role and duties? How do we actually connect our language therapy to what's happening in the classroom?
This seminar provides straightforward answers to all of the above questions, and more. I'll be sharing detailed, step-by-step practical strategies with you. The methods work; they make what we do in language therapy extremely meaningful and beneficial to our students. On a broader scale, the new language tasks you will learn will closely connect to classroom and academic standards.
We're going to have a great therapy-oriented day! This seminar will equip you with fresh perspectives and procedures you'll be able to use immediately whether your therapy is in-person, online or a hybrid model. Think practical. Think beneficial. Think fun.
Char Boshart, MA, CCC-SLP
P.S. I've assembled an extensive digital language therapy resource handbook designed specially for this seminar, chock-full of practical and beneficial language intervention activities.
Who Should Attend
Speech-Language Pathologists working with students in Grades K-6.
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
You'll Receive an Extensive Digital Language Therapy Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a digital language therapy resource handbook, specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Descriptions of innovative language therapy strategies and activities
- Complete lessons for pull-out, entire classrooms or online
- Specific techniques to develop language abilities – beyond worksheets
- Realistic and effective language/literacy merge methods
- Numerous, easy-to-apply language strategies to create a classroom connection
ASHA - CEUs
This course is offered for 0.50 ASHA CEUs per day (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now