This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Accelerating Student Outcomes in Your School-Based Occupational Therapy
Presented by Julie Milligan, OTR/L
Specifically Designed for Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants Serving Preschool-Grade 12
- Proven, highly effective techniques to work with students with learning and executive function difficulties whether working in-person or online
- New and innovative techniques consistent with the OT Practice Framework to accelerate the effectiveness and outcomes of your therapy treatment
- Practical evidence-based strategies and tools to improve fine motor, handwriting, sensory, and movement goals
- Realistic, easy-to-use strategies to improve student behavior utilizing the most up-to-date sensory processing knowledge and the latest neuroscience research
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Designed for veteran and novice school-based occupational therapists, this engaging and innovative seminar is designed to fill your therapy toolbox with practical, evidence-based strategies you'll be able to use immediately. In this NEW seminar, outstanding OT, Julie Milligan, will share dozens of highly effective treatment ideas to boost goal achievement. Throughout the day, you will learn new and innovative strategies to improve your therapy outcomes with students. Working with evidence-based strategies and AOTA's Terminology Framework, you will be better-equipped in your position as a critical member of the school-based treatment team.
You will leave this seminar ready and excited to immediately implement the strategies you've learned in your own therapy plans.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Your Effectiveness as a School-Based Occupational Therapist
Learn how to be a more effective and efficient OT with an expanded repertoire of evidence-based strategies that will make you a highly valued resource and team member whether working in-person or in teletherapy
- Utilize Functional Management Techniques to Help Students to be More Successful in School
Boost your knowledge of new and easy-to implement behavior management techniques to help see past the behavior and identify barriers that are preventing your students from meeting goals and expectations
- Maximize Your Impact as an OT on the Treatment Team by Addressing Foundational Skills
Learn how to use and form effective treatment strategies from a variety of assessments â€¦ Discover which assessments are best to maximize your impact
- Incorporate Evidence-Based Treatment Strategies
Discover highly effective ways to implement evidence-based treatment strategies to set appropriate goals and boost goal achievement
- Address the Newest Question "Is it Sensory or Is It Behavior?"
Understand when sensory processing or other developmental factors are impacting behavior and learn practical strategies to better support students
- Learn Practical Strategies for Working with Executive Function Difficulties
Utilize effective treatment ideas to improve planning, working memory, cognitive flexibility, organization, and time-management
- Spend Less Time "Teaching Handwriting" and More Time Implementing Foundational Skill Training
Learn practical ways to more efficiently assess and work with the underlying skills that affect writing
- Incorporate the Most Effective Strategies for Advancing Function, Independence and Participation Regardless of Age, Disability or Educational Placement
Individualize curricular materials, environments and group dynamics so students develop positive values, habits, skills, and roles to help them work longer, harder and more successfully
- Increase Your Effectiveness with Students with Emotional, Attentional or Sensory Issues
Identify therapeutic remedies and positive behavior supports that provide sensory seekers, hyperactive or low-energy children with satiating or calming tools they can use before, during and after class
- Receive an Extensive Digital Occupational Therapy Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital occupational therapy resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar â€¦ Included are dozens of practical therapy ideas and worksheets you'll be able to use immediately to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of your therapy practice whether working in-person or through teletherapy
- Identify specific interventions to improve students' focus, attention, working memory, and organization
- Differentiate between evidence and non-evidence based strategies to allow for best practice while building student interest and expanding your activity analysis skills
- Select specific strategies to help students increase participation and independence with attention and focus in the classroom
- Name the best uses of technology in the process of written language while considering apps and assistive technology
- Identify proven interventions to boost postural support and upper extremity stability to improve functional outcomes
- Practical Strategies for Occupational Therapy Service Delivery ...
- Incorporate sensory and brain-based treatments for difficult sensory and behavioral issues affecting classroom performance
- Develop effective treatment plans and interventions that address foundational skills for improving function in school
- Merge your existing skills and knowledge with therapeutic approaches that work for your schedule, complement your interaction style and uncovers your potential for growth and development.
- Utilize fresh, new, innovative ideas for your therapy toolbox including accommodations, interventions, and adaptations for better goal achievement
- Identify treatment environments available in your practice setting to allow you to support your students throughout their school day
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
With over 30 years of experience as a School Based Occupational Therapist, I've seen tremendous change in the practice of Occupational Therapy within the school setting.Â Along with those changes comes the challenge of managing caseloads and schedules, implementing best practice for our students while retaining our passion for our profession. I believe that tapping into our own creative outlook while managing time, schedules, collaboration and consultation, along with direct student contact is key to embracing the change and challenge that comes your way now, and into the future.
I have designed this seminar to build upon using an evidence based foundation to make your treatment strategies ones that students and teachers embrace, enjoy and USE! It is my goal that when you leave this seminar, you will have dozens of practical strategies to use right away. These new tools will enhance your existing practice and complement the creative techniques that you are currently using. Whether newer to the profession or just needing a rejuvenating pick me up, this seminar is designed for you! Let's come together to recognize all that you can do to support both students and staff whether working in-person or through teletherapy.
I look forward to meeting you at this seminar, sharing meaningful information and leaving you with an eagerness to use ideas and strategies the next day in making your practice truly yours!
P.S. I guarantee that after our time together, you'll leave refreshed and excited to immediately implement ideas for boosting student success. Attending this course will enhance your school practice!
Who Should Attend
Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants Serving Preschool-Grade 12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Specific treatment ideas whether you are working in-person or online
- Resource lists and websites
- Practical resources you can use immediately
Julie Milligan will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
AOTA – CEUs
BER is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 01501. This Distance Learning - Interactive/Independent seminar is offered at .5 CEUs/5 Contact Hours per day of attendance [Educational level: Introductory, Category: Occupational Therapy Service Delivery]. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures. You will be required to fully attend the program and complete a program evaluation and a learning outcomes assessment at the end
For a time-ordered agenda for this event – Click Here
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.