Practical Strategies to Address the Challenges of Today's SCHOOL NURSE
Presented by Sandra Moritz
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses, School Health Services Coordinators and Other Staff Working in the School Health Office Serving Grades K 12
- Address COVID-19 and other infections of concern … Recognize critical systems to monitor, keep the health office as “clean as possible!”
- Incorporate the latest online teaching ideas … Stay connected to your school community whether in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment
- Respond with the latest treatment tools for urgent health concerns … New resources to deal with chronic and acute conditions
- Utilize the most up-to-date first aid protocols for wound care and injuries … The ABCs of burns, eye injuries and heat related illness
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for the current, best ideas and resources to enhance your effectiveness as a school nurse, you will not want to miss this one-day seminar. During this intensive day, outstanding school nurse, Sandra Moritz, will share dozens of proven ways to more effectively address the speed bumps of school nursing to make your practice more efficient as well as safer from hazards and liability. Sandra will share numerous personal tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her extensive school nursing experience that will increase your effectiveness.
Research and experience-driven ideas will help you create an atmosphere that reduces the stress from the varied challenges you experience in your role as a school nurse and student health advocate. You’ll learn practical ways to more effectively address a variety of today’s school health issues including assessments, infection prevention, trauma and injuries.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing practice resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse in in-person and distance learning schools.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Be Prepared for COVID-19 and Other Infections of Concern
The 3 M’s (most contagious, most fatal, most common) infections and strategies to reduce them that are vital to your practice … What every school nurse needs to know
- Address Unsafe Practice Areas – Reduce Liability in Issues for Today’s School Nurse
Examine legal cases as learning tools to avoid negative outcomes … Proven ideas for in-person and distance learning environments
- Be Rash Ready-A Rash May Be the First Symptom
Examine visuals of common rashes we see in students, receive Fact Sheets for the office
- Implement the Best School Nursing Ideas from Webinars, Podcasts and Online Platforms
Stay involved with your school community and colleagues … Ideas for in-person, online and hybrid learning environments
- Evaluate Injuries and Burns and Treat with the Latest First Aid Supplies
Examine products and protocols when students or staff get injured at school
- Understand the Vaping Crisis and Its Effects on Student Health
Be aware of the respiratory difficulties and educational strategies to counteract this emerging concern
- Explore Elements of Self Care for the Health Professional
Critical Self Care tips for the medical expert at school – YOU!
- React to Non-Urgent Situations Commonly Experienced in the Health Office
Get current tips from recent evidence on pediculosis, Lyme disease and more to assist you in navigating these challenges
- Provide Students with a Trauma-Sensitive and Calming Space
Make over your office climate with new tools for students struggling with mental health issues
- Receive a Detailed Digital School Nursing Practice Resource Handbook
Each participant will leave this seminar with an extensive digital school nursing resource handbook filled with practical strategies, techniques, activities, and resources that can be used immediately in your school health office
- Practical ideas that will increase your effectiveness as a school nurse … Proven ideas for in-person and online school environments
- The most effective cleaning and infection controls for COVID-19
- Critical information to prevent and recognize early symptoms of heat related illness, from heat stroke to heat exhaustion
- What every school nurse must know about “getting along” with staff, parents and students. Make the office day about collaboration and cooperation
- The essential knowledge to identify and react quickly to infections of concern, including the 3 M’s (most fatal, contagious and serious)
- How to positively and effectively respond to rotating regulars, discern whether they are sick or not, and take effective measures
- Essential updates on “Tools of the Trade” … What’s new in treating chronic health conditions in the school office
- The essential principles and ABCs of burn care … View new supplies to treat burns and lessen their severity
- Stay ahead of the Sepsis spiral … This medical emergency can occur post infection or injury
- Effectively employ current first aid protocols in treating burns, fractures and heat-related conditions
- View modeling techniques for splinting and learn serious side-effects in children after an injury at school
- How to recognize the mysterious symptoms of Lyme disease
- What’s new in equipment for the school nurse’s office … Free resources for an office redesign to refresh and update your “home away from home” space
- Practical suggestions to find your passions in school nursing and stay healthy on the job
- Create fun health events for your students and staff that will motivate them to adopt healthier lifestyles
- Keep yourself well so you can heal well with mindful methods and fitness suggestions to keep you on the job
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As school nurses, we are challenged daily in our school health offices with students and staff who have serious health concerns. As a school nurse with extensive experience in school nursing, I have had many opportunities to address a variety of school health issues. I have created this seminar to help you more effectively address these challenges and gain a new vitality as well as provide practical information for a progressive school nursing practice! School nursing is always in transition. To stay current in our role, standards of care and programs must reflect the latest information and requirements present in our jobs. I have picked topic areas that I believe are relevant, interesting and common challenges for school nurses. My love of teaching health has moved me to create fun and innovative programs that help motivate healthy behavior among students and staff.
Enjoy a day with other school nurses, learn new strategies to handle the challenges of our career and take some time to share practical ways to positively address our common issues. I look forward to sharing my expertise with you and learning of your experiences in our very unique practice of school nursing. We will examine together the standards for a consistent and safe practice. We can only meet the needs of our students and staff if we are taking the best care of ourselves. Wellness tips to avoid common burnout of health professionals will also be presented. Whether you are working in a school with in-person, online or a hybrid learning environment you’ll leave with numerous ideas you’ll be able to use right away.
Sandra Moritz, M.Ed., BS, RN, NCSN
P.S. You will receive an extensive school nursing digital resource handbook containing the above information and more!
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, School Nurse Practitioners, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators, School Nurse Administrators and Other Staff working in the school health office serving grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
You’ll Receive an Extensive and Comprehensive School Nursing Practice Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. It contains strategies, ideas and resources including documents, samples of forms and websites you can use in your school nursing practice.
Sandra Moritz will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own school nursing program.
Earn Nursing CEUs
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 15144, for five (5) Contact Hours for RNs and LPNs. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/nursing-ceus.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now