This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
50 Best Strategies for Teaching ENGLISH/LANGUAGE ARTS (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Kristen Henry
Specifically designed for Grades 6 12 English/Language Arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Literacy Coaches, and Administrators
- Over 50 highly effective, practical strategies to strengthen student motivation and achievement in your English/Language Arts classroom – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Practical lessons, examples and strategies designed to greatly enhance your program, spark curiosity and increase students’ acquisition and application of new skills – no matter what ELA courses you teach
- Specific ways to build high-level student engagement and powerfully strengthen reading and writing skills in your ELA program
- Receive an extensive digital ELA resource handbook filled with practical strategies, templates and ideas you can use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
How can we best reach and teach our 21st century English/Language Arts students? How can we cover our required content, teach to standards and strengthen students’ reading and writing skills? How can we best prepare our students for the future? And how can we integrate the most powerful and applicable new approaches in our field?
For practical answers and solutions to these questions and more, join outstanding and innovative ELA teacher, KRISTEN HENRY, as she presents over 50 of the best strategies for greatly enhancing your ELA program. If you want to increase your students’ acquisition of content and ELA skills in highly engaging ways, this seminar is for you! Each of the strategies and techniques Kristen shares can be easily implemented the very next day in your own program – no matter what English/Language Arts courses you teach. These strategies can also easily be differentiated or scaffolded to meet the needs of your diverse learners.
Join Kristen for a high energy, engaging day of outstanding strategies designed to strengthen your grades 6-12 English/Language Arts instruction – whether you are teaching at school or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- The Best Strategies to Greatly Enhance Your ELA Program – Whether You are Teaching at School or Online
Discover the best strategies, lessons and activities for strengthening your grades 6-12 ELA instruction … Receive a wealth of outstanding, practical ideas and techniques you can use the very next day – no matter what ELA courses you teach
- Build Greater Engagement in Your English/Language Arts Classroom
Experience a wide range of resources and strategies you can use to greatly increase your students’ engagement
Strengthen Your Students’ Reading and Writing Motivation and Success
Incorporate practical strategies to ensure your students develop the skills to succeed when they step out of your classroom … Explore ways to spark interest, motivate, engage, and ignite a passion for reading and writing in your students
- Make Learning Visible in Your ELA Classroom
Discover practical, research-based ways you can create success criteria to help your ELA students know what they are learning, define what success looks like, and what they need to do next in order to advance their learning
- Help Students Develop High-Level Verbal and Written Expression Skills
Explore ways to help secondary ELA students speak and write with greater depth about complex texts … Make the most of conversation, discourse, and composition in your classroom
- Engage Your ELA Students in Rigorous Activities that Promote Growth
Apply protocols that require students to delve into complex texts and that deepen their understanding of theme, message and connections … Gain rigorous activities to enhance meaningful discussion of texts and promote growth
- Accelerate Students’ Growth as Writers with Mentor Texts
Learn how to find and make best use of outstanding mentor texts to maximize student growth … Explore practical and doable strategies across all parts of the writing process using both professional and teacher-created texts
- Leverage High-Yield Strategies to Build Students’ Confidence and Success
Explore high-leverage strategies to engage and get your ELA students to take greater responsibility for their learning … Ways to build students’ confidence and academic success in your ELA classroom
- Regain Valuable Time for Where You’re Most Needed
Apply easy-to-implement process-oriented activities that will speed up skills acquisition for your students and free up valuable time for you … Discover ways to personalize learning and optimize the impact of your ELA instruction
- Receive an Extensive Digital English/Language Arts Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital handbook, packed with outstanding strategies designed to increase your students’ engagement and to greatly enhance your grades 6-12 English/Language Arts instruction – whether you’re working at school or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, highly engaging, easy-to-implement strategies to strengthen your English/Language Arts program – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Dozens of effective strategies to expand your “bag of tricks” that you can use in nearly any ELA lesson at any time of the year
- Strategies and lessons that engage students in deeper reading and understanding of complex texts
- How to increase student engagement and mastery during all phases of the writing process using mentor text
- Effective ways to deepen understanding, connection and meaningful interaction with text through reading, writing, listening, speaking, and thinking
- Strategies to develop and build students’ vocabulary skills and background knowledge
- Authentic writing strategies that build students’ skills and equip them for success with real-world writing tasks
- Outstanding strategies for managing an effective and productive workshop-style classroom, including impactful conferring and differentiated instruction
- Highly engaging lesson ideas and strategies incorporating all modes of communication to drive student learning
- Collaboration and dialogue protocols to scaffold deeper reading, especially for your struggling ELA students
- Close reading strategies to increase quality student interaction with texts
- Success criteria strategies to maximize the success of your lessons and your students’ learning
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
English/Language Arts instruction continues to evolve. The expectations for our students have intensified, moving well beyond rote responses to deep, meaningful conversations about text that lead to thoughtful and powerful writing. But how can we best help our students be successful in ELA? I want to show you how! In this live online seminar I will address all facets of English/Language Arts instruction – from daily reader-writer notebook entries, to close reading of complex text, to productive and academic student dialogue, to authentic writing for real world audiences, and more!
We will explore a wealth of practical strategies and protocols you can pick and choose from – all of which are designed to enhance your ELA instruction and to make your teaching life easier. I will share instructional elements you can immediately take back and use in your classroom to greatly strengthen your students’ learning. Whether you are new to ELA, highly experienced or anywhere in between, you will walk away with ideas for elevating what you already do, as well as ways to maximize learning in your classroom.
As an experienced secondary ELA teacher, I’ve designed this seminar to incorporate all facets of English/Language Arts instruction. We’ll dive into powerful, practical strategies for enhancing your instruction, assessment, planning, classroom, and much more! And we will focus on all modes of communication, exploring specific ways to engage our students in and strengthen their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills every day. I want to show you how it’s possible to make all of this happen in YOUR classroom with YOUR students.
I am excited to share a wealth of practical ideas for greatly enhancing your English/Language Arts instruction!
P.S. This seminar is filled with practical, easy-to-implement ideas that you can use immediately in your ELA classroom – whether you are teaching at school or online.
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 English/language arts teachers, classroom teachers, literacy coaches, and administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital ELA Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Outstanding strategies for strengthening students’ reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills every day – whether you’re teaching in-person or online
- Classroom-ready lessons, ideas and templates you can use immediately
- Proven ways to deepen students’ thinking skills, develop their vocabulary and build their background knowledge
- Reading and writing ideas that actively engage students and get them to take greater responsibility for their ELA learning
- Strategies, templates, differentiation ideas, and ways to more actively involve students in authentic revision, meaningfully interacting with text, and much more!
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their English/Language Arts instruction.
Kristen Henry will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.