This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Making Best Use of Google Classroom to Strengthen Your ENGLISH/LANGUAGE ARTS Instruction
Presented by Desiree Alexander
Specifically Designed for Middle and High School English/Language Arts (ELA) Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Library Media Specialists, Department Heads, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical strategies to best utilize Google Classroom to strengthen secondary ELA students' engagement and learning – whether you are teaching in-person or online
- The best free Google Tools and Chrome extentions for enhancing instruction in the secondary ELA classroom
- Timesaving, practical ways to more easily manage ELA students' work in Google Classroom … Assign, collect, grade, and give feedback with just a few clicks
- Receive an extensive Digital Google Classroom ELA resource handbook and special access to Desiree's password-protected website, where you can immediately link to all the resources presented in this seminar and more!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding, live online seminar is specially designed for secondary English/Language Arts educators who want to make more effective use of Google Classroom and a variety of free Google and web tools to enhance ELA learning. Outstanding ELA teacher and Google for Education Innovator and Trainer, Desiree Alexander, will show you how to more efficiently tap into the power of online student collaboration with Google Classroom and how to take greater advantage of the most useful aspects of G Suite for Education whether you are teaching in-school or online. You will also learn how to make best use of many of the most useful Google Tools perfect for ELA including Google Drive, Chrome, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Chrome Extensions, ELA websites and much more! Desiree will share practical and timesaving strategies for streamlining everyday workflows in your ELA classroom.
Whether you are a Google Classroom newbie, intermediate user or a pro and whether you are teaching at school or online, you'll leave this seminar with a wealth of use-tomorrow ideas. You will also receive an extensive digital Google Classroom ELA resource handbook and special website access to reinforce and extend your learning after the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Essential Google Classroom Practices for Enhancing Your In-Person or Online ELA Instruction
What every secondary ELA teacher needs to know about fully tapping into Google Classroom, Google apps and extensions … The best, most useful aspects for strengthening your instruction – whether in-person or online
- Timesaving Strategies to Boost Your Productivity AND Effectiveness
Employ the best free Google Tools, Chrome extensions and websites perfect for ELA to help you save time while increasing your effectiveness … Streamline your workflow and enhance student learning
- Provide Highly Valuable, Actionable Feedback Swiftly and Effortlessly
Take full advantage of timesaving online assessment tools to direct and drive your instruction … Assign documents, name and submit assignments, provide quality, actionable feedback with a click of button, grade and return assignments, and more!
- Harness the Power of Google Classroom for Online Collaboration and Communication
Discover practical ways Google Classroom can significantly enhance collaboration … Improve communication and strengthen student learning while helping students communicate safely online
- Incorporate Outstanding, FREE Chrome Extensions
Manage time more efficiently with the best free Chrome extensions for ELA … These are the tools you have been waiting for!
- Utilize the Newest Features of Google Classroom
Google is constantly releasing new features and making changes … Leverage the newest features of Google Classroom to benefit your students and your ELA instruction
- The Best Digital Tools and Fast Hacks to Enhance Your ELA Instruction
Explore a host of digital tools and fast hacks perfect for enhancing your ELA instruction, including warm-up, lesson presentation, independent work, group work, exit tickets, classroom videos, and more!
- Timesaving Ways to Differentiate Your ELA Instruction with Google Classroom
Discover a wealth of time-efficient options for assigning class work to different subsets of students with anonymity … Enhance your ability to meet the needs of your diverse secondary ELA learners
- Utilize the Full Potential of Google Forms in Your ELA Classroom
Explore outstanding ways secondary ELA teachers are using Google Forms beyond simple survey tools … From best ways to include reading passages to formative assessments and exit tickets to creating character-led journeys and data collection
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook and Special Website Access
You will receive an extensive digital Google Classroom resource handbook with detailed descriptions and practical ELA classroom applications of each of the Google Tools and Apps presented … Receive access to Desiree's password-protected website, specially created for this seminar and filled with helpful links and online tutorials
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies to make best use of Google Classroom and a variety of free Google Tools to enhance instruction in your secondary ELA classroom – whether you are teaching in-school or online
- Timesaving tips and tricks for using Google Classroom and other ELA specific websites to make your life easier, both in and out of the ELA classroom
- How to find, download and install the latest Chrome extensions that are applicable to secondary ELA instruction
- Work smarter, not harder … Timesaving tips for using Google Classroom and Google Tools more efficiently
- How Google Classroom can best be used to differentiate ELA instruction with grades 6-12 students
- Advanced applications of Google Classroom to streamline your work and communicate with students and parents with ease
- How to use Google Drive, Apps and Extensions to make your life easier both in and out of your ELA classroom
- How to utilize Chrome profiles to access your bookmarks, information and files from anywhere
- A wealth of ways to fully engage your ELA students in productive and collaborative learning
- Valuable tips to get the most from the technology you already have in your ELA classroom – even if it's just one laptop, Chromebook or tablet
- The latest updates in Google Classroom and G Suite for Education
- Many additional tools perfect for ELA including the best tools and apps, ways to streamline classroom management and routines, enhancing assessments and even reading passages with Google forms, collecting work and giving feedback with ease, and much more!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
There is nothing quite like being a secondary English/Language Arts teacher. The multitude of skills we are responsible for teaching students in our one content area is both amazing and sometimes daunting. With increasing demands on our time and all that we're responsible for, it can be challenging and even frustrating trying to keep up with the latest, best practices for enhancing our ELA instruction. Let me help you!
As an experienced and fellow secondary ELA teacher, I have specifically designed this live online seminar with you in mind! If you are fortunate enough to have Chromebooks, laptops or computers with a Google Chrome browser in your classroom or school, I know that you want to make best use of them. However, despite the array of features that are so readily available, the challenge most ELA teachers face today is in keeping up with essential ways to best use these tools to enhance our programs.
The good news is that there are tons of outstanding, FREE Chrome apps and extensions (and other web tools) available that will get your ELA students excited about coming to your class every day and will keep them engaged and on task. In my classes, students have used Google Classroom and Chromebooks or laptops with the Google Chrome browser to read/listen to articles and books, share their thoughts, write essays with citations (by keyboarding and voice typing), collaborate on projects, complete grammar assignments, watch and create instructional videos, and so much more!
I look forward to sharing the best of what works and what doesn't based on my experience using Google Classroom to enhance ELA instruction at the secondary level. I will provide you with a comprehensive list of all the apps, extensions, tools and websites I have used with my ELA students and seen others use successfully in their classroom, plus tips and tricks to save you valuable time and effort. It is my sincere goal that you leave this seminar excited about returning to your ELA classroom to try out many of the new ideas that you learn!
I look forward to meeting you!
P.S. The emphasis will be on use-tomorrow tools – whether you are teaching in-classroom or online. Plus, you'll receive my digital resource handbook and special access to my resource-packed Google Classroom to support your success.
Who Should Attend
English/Language Arts (ELA) Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Library Media Specialists, Department Heads, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook and Website
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook and special access to Desiree's website, specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook and website include:
- Practical, timesaving strategies and ideas for integrating Google Classroom and G Suite into your ELA curriculum
- Step-by-step guides for using Google Classroom and G Suite with your students
- Descriptions and images of the latest, most effective Chrome Extensions for grades 6-12 ELA educators
- Tips and tricks for using Google Classroom, Google Drive and other resources to greatly enhance ELA instruction
- "How to" screenshots of a variety of apps and extensions
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their ELA program.
Desiree Alexander will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own English/language arts program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.