This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
DISTANCE LEARNING: Strengthening Online ENGLISH/LANGUAGE ARTS Instruction (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Desiree Alexander
Specifically Designed for English/Language Arts Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Technology Specialists, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators
- The keys to practically and successfully teach complete ELA distance learning lessons to strengthen secondary ELA students' engagement and learning online
- Timesaving ways to organize the ELA distance learning cycle … Create, assign, engage students and provide feedback to writing and other assignments, all while maintaining your sanity
- Effective ways to use videos in distance learning … Enhance student and parent communication, instruction, assessment, and collaboration
- Receive an extensive Digital ELA Distance Learning resource handbook and special access to Desiree's password protected website so you can immediately link to all the resources presented in this seminar
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding, live online seminar is specially designed for English/Language Arts secondary educators who want to strengthen their online distance learning instruction using the best, cutting-edge Google and technology tools. Outstanding secondary ELA teacher and Google for Education Innovator and Trainer, Desiree Alexander, will show you how to more efficiently tap into the power of distance learning.
Learn how to strengthen your writing, reading and grammar instruction, and your students' learning through cutting-edge Google and technology tools perfect ELA students in grades 6-12. Explore outstanding ways to differentiate, provide feedback, tap student choice and voice, create culturally relevant assignments and assessments, and much more! Desiree will share practical and timesaving strategies for streamlining everyday distance learning workflows in your online ELA classroom.
No matter your experience level with distance learning or these tools, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of use-tomorrow ideas. You will also receive an extensive digital ELA Distance Learning resource handbook and special website access with step-by-step instructions, tutorials and resources to reinforce and extend your learning after the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Essential Practices for Powerful ELA Distance Learning in Grades 6-12
What every secondary English/Language Arts educator needs to know about fully tapping into cutting-edge Google and technology tools … Explore the best, most useful tools for strengthening your online distance learning instruction and student success in writing, reading, grammar, and critical thinking
- Organize Distance Learning Lessons to Increase Student Success
Learn how to prepare your ELA workspace and your online lessons to effectively boost student engagement and increase student achievement
- Create the Conditions for Optimal Online Learning in English/Language Arts
Explore a host of strategies for building an optimal online ELA learning community … Set the stage for high levels of student safety, innovation, communication, and learning
- Harness the Power of Google and Other Web Tools for ELA Instruction
Discover practical ways Google and other technology tools can significantly enhance online collaboration … Improve communication, feedback and strengthen student learning in your grades 6-12 online ELA classroom
- Provide Highly Valuable, Actionable Feedback Swiftly and Effortlessly
Take full advantage of timesaving online assessment tools to drive your online instruction … Learn essential strategies to assign reading and grammar lessons, and assessments, provide feedback, grade and return assignments, and more – all online and quicker than before!
- Create Videos for Highly Engaging Lessons and Student Assessments
Discover a wealth of time-efficient options for using online videos to allow your students to take the role of characters, practice speech, debate, participate in Socratic seminars – all in your online ELA classroom … Enhance your ability to meet the needs of your diverse learners
- Best Practices for Planning and Implementing Successful Online ELA Lessons
Incorporate distance learning best practices into the planning of your online lessons … Utilize powerful technology tools to strengthen online lessons for reading, grammar and writing, collaboration and assessments
- The Best Digital Tools and Tips to Enhance Your Online Instruction
Explore a host of digital tools and tips perfect for strengthening your online ELA instruction … Enhance warm-ups, lesson presentation, independent work, group work, exit tickets, classroom videos, and more – here's how!
- Engage Students in Live Online Class Discussions of Reading Passages
Explore a variety of options for holding online ELA classes … Gain tips and strategies for keeping online classes safe and engaging for students while discussing reading passages
- Receive an Extensive Digital ELA Distance Learning Resource Handbook and Special Website Access
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook, filled with the best, cutting-edge Google and technology tools for strengthening your online ELA instruction and student success … Receive password access to Desiree's specially created website for this seminar with helpful links and online tutorials
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, most useful tools to strengthen distance learning for ELA in grades 6-12 using cutting-edge Google and technology tools
- Ways to create engaging lessons that lead secondary ELA students to discuss, interpret text, innovate, create, grow, and achieve
- Valuable strategies for using videos to enhance lesson delivery, assessments, and student success
- Timesaving tools and activities to help you organize and prepare ELA distance learning lessons, while boosting student engagement and achievement
- How Google Classroom and the latest Chrome extensions can strengthen your ELA distance learning instruction and student success online
- Digital tools to create unique ELA online assessments that engage students and help them show their content knowledge
- Ways to be inclusive and differentiate online for grades 6-12 ELA students during distance learning
- Various ways to use Google and other technology tools to create a collaborative learning space for secondary ELA students online
- Communication tools to use with parents to increase their participation in their student's online learning and success
- How to build an optimal online learning community with high levels of student safety, innovation, communication, and learning
- The latest updates in G Suite for Education, including new and improved tools to enhance students' secondary ELA online learning
- Ideas for using the best live meeting platforms to engage secondary ELA students during live online classes to discuss literature, writing and connect them to current events
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Distance learning is here to stay. Schools and districts will never again be unprepared to teach online and it will now and always be a viable option for our students. The time is now for us, as ELA educators, to hone our skills. And yet the multitude of skills we are responsible for teaching students as secondary ELA teachers is both amazing and often daunting. With increasing demands on our time and all that we're responsible for, it can be challenging trying to keep up with the latest, best practices for enhancing our secondary ELA instruction. But, learning how to take those best practices and modify them for distance learning need not be daunting or challenging.
As an experienced secondary ELA and distance learning teacher, I have specifically designed this seminar with you in mind! Whether you are dealing with a traditional classroom, blended learning or distance learning environment, I know you want to help your ELA students engage and succeed whether they are physically in front of you or not. However, despite the array of technology tools that are so readily available, the challenge most secondary ELA teachers face today is in keeping up with essential ways to best use these tools to enhance our programs. The good news is that there are tons of outstanding, FREE Google and technology tools available that will get your English/Language Arts students excited about logging in to your class every day and will keep them engaged and on task. In my online classes, students have successfully used Google and other technology tools to read/listen to standards-driven lessons, share their thoughts through writing, collaborate on projects, complete assignments, watch and create instructional videos, and so much more! I can't wait to show you how!
I look forward to sharing the best of what works and what doesn't based on my extensive experience with secondary ELA instruction and distance learning. I will provide you with a comprehensive list of all the tools I have used with my secondary ELA students as well as tips and tricks to save you valuable time and effort with distance learning. It is my sincere goal that you leave this seminar excited about returning to try out many of the new ideas that you learn with your secondary ELA students!
I look forward to meeting you!
Dr. Desiree Alexander
P.S. The emphasis will be on use-tomorrow tools. And you'll receive an extensive digital ELA distance learning resource handbook, plus special password access to my resource-packed website to support your success with distance learning.
Who Should Attend
English/Language Arts Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Technology Specialists, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital ELA Technology Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital ELA resource handbook, giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Distance Learning ideas and best practices for online ELA instruction
- Practical, timesaving strategies and ideas for integrating Google Classroom, Google Meet and other G Suite tools into your online ELA program
- Step-by-step guides for using Google and other technology tools with your online ELA students for reading, writing and grammar
- Descriptions and images of the latest, most effective Chrome Extensions for grades 6-12 ELA educators
- Tips and tricks for using videos and other technology resources to greatly enhance online ELA instruction
- "How to" screenshots of a variety of technology tools, apps and extensions
- Password access to Desiree's specially created website with helpful online links, tutorials and resources
Desiree Alexander will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own grades 6-12 ELA program
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.