This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Two-Day Train‑the‑Trainer Institute:
Specifically Designed for Teacher Leaders, Professional Development Trainers, Literacy Coaches, Reading Specialists, Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Curriculum Directors, and Administrators Serving Grades 1-5
- Train your teachers to use the best, most current strategies to address the COVID learning gaps of your most struggling readers
- Train your teachers to align high-yield reading strategies with struggling readers for fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, and decoding
- Build expertise among your staff to interpret reading assessment data to help readers who have fallen behind catch up
- Receive critical information on how to deliver high-quality, engaging and effective training sessions to your staff when you return
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Some students struggle with reading and begin to fall behind to the point of losing confidence in their ability to ever learn to read. We don't want our students who struggle to lose hope, but you may not have the assessments and tools to accurately identify their reading deficits and provide intentional instruction to target the specific deficits. What are proven ways to reduce the reading gap that keeps many of our students from becoming strong, proficient readers? This two-day training is designed to give you the tools and strategies to accelerate the learning of all readers and to catch up those who have fallen behind.
Popular presenter and reading coach, Jaime Bailey, has developed a fast-paced, practical, train-the-trainer opportunity to help you train your teachers to use high-yield reading strategies to accelerate struggling readers in their decoding, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary.
This two-day train-the-trainer institute focuses on how to identify the reading gaps of your struggling students and gain a toolkit of reading strategies to address those gaps. You will learn to better analyze the reading deficits of struggling readers and discover dozens of free resources to create a wealth of strategies for readers at different levels. Participants who attend will gain and build expertise to interpret reading assessments and learn how to accurately identify reading needs and strategies to address them. Participants will also receive extensive resources to train others in these highly effective strategies to build a successful reading program in their school(s) and districts.
A Practical, Two-Day Train-the-Trainer Program to Train Your Teachers to Identify and Address the Reading Gaps of Struggling Readers
Send one or more staff members or a team to this Live Online training program and they will return to your school(s) with professional development strategies and resources to support and train your teachers to better facilitate high-quality reading instruction focusing on closing achievement gaps. Participants will learn:
- Ready-to-use strategies to support your staff as they analyze the reading gaps of struggling readers
- Practical strategies for strengthening reading fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and decoding
- Dozens of free resources – videos, lessons, reading resources – to create a diverse wealth of instructional resources for readers at various levels
- Practical, formative assessment ideas that work to monitor reading progress and support progress monitoring
- Tips, shortcuts and ways to better use technology to support on-site job-embedded professional learning
This Two Day Train-the-Trainer Program is Cost Effective
If you are interested in providing high-quality training in assessing and addressing the skill deficits of struggling readers to your teachers, school(s) or district, this is the perfect opportunity. Send one teacher or a team and they will leave with an extensive digital resource training handbook filled with the tools needed for their own training, along with access to a companion web-based link filled with additional resources and a PowerPoint template to use and adapt to meet the needs of your own training. The focus of the two-day training will be on implementing the crucial components necessary to identify and target the reading gaps your most struggling students need to become more proficient readers.
Support and Train Your Teachers in Reading Interventions for Struggling Readers Including:
- Step-by-step guidance for facilitating training to target students who struggle with reading and who have fallen behind during COVID
- Tips for developing and delivering high-impact training for your teachers – whether it be short and quick or longer sessions
- How to support teachers as they design outstanding reading lessons to meet the needs of students who struggle to read
- How to facilitate reading assessment discussions turning data into action to increase student achievement
- Practical strategies to align and choose free and low-cost resources to positively impact student learning and close the COVID learning gap
- How to unpack innovative and effective job-embedded professional development for your staff
- How to find the time and support – while using your current resources – for staff to fully collaborate on student learning
- How to strategically incorporate technology tools in the 21st Century literacy classroom
- Easy-to-use techniques for differentiating your reading instruction for struggling readers
- Practical strategies for preparing students for productive, independent literacy work
- Powerful strategies to engage staff in productive conversations about student achievement
- Help teachers understand and implement the reading management strategies for effectively preparing students for productive, independent work
- How to scaffold teacher development for your most novice and skilled reading teachers
- Integrate reading progressions to scaffold readers at all levels
- How to tap into the valuable talents of outstanding teachers in making student learning your highest priority
- Practical, powerful ways to overcome resistance and distractions when implementing and sustaining shifts in instructional practices
- Classroom-proven techniques to maximize literacy block time
- All participants will leave with an extensive digital resource training handbook filled the tools needed for your own trainings, including a companion web-based link filled with additional resources and a PowerPoint template for training your staff
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Join me for a unique, two-day train-the-trainer institute focusing on the best strategies to identify reading problems and target your instruction to close achievement gaps. Whether you work as an instructional coach, general education or special education classroom teacher, Title I staff member, or as a reading specialist, I know you will discover a blend of valuable tools and practical strategies to use with struggling readers as well as tips and tricks for training your colleagues.
During this practical, two-day train-the-trainer institute, I will share specific and intentional practices and resources that you can begin to use immediately to increase the reading skills of your students who have fallen behind. You will receive dozens of free resources for supporting teachers who work with struggling readers. All strategies will focus on targeting reading instruction to meet the needs of struggling readers. I will also model and share with you tricks and tips for providing professional development for adult learners.
I look forward to meeting you at the institute. This will be an active, fast-paced two-day event, filled with activities, applications as well as the opportunity to transfer and personalize training tips to make them your own. No matter what your current position, you will leave with a full supply of ideas and tools to use back in your building as you support others who work with struggling readers.
P.S. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook, access to a companion web-based link filled with more resources and tools for easy access when you return, and a PowerPoint template you can adapt and use in your training back at your schools.
Who Should Attend
Teacher Leaders, Professional Development Trainers, Literacy Coaches, Reading Specialists, Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Curriculum Directors, and Administrators Serving Grades 1-5.
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook designed specifically for this two‑day institute. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use templates for training teachers to better support struggling readers
- Ideas and tips for training your staff in better identifying reading deficits and using specific instructional strategies to target those deficits
- Ideas, tips and tools to address the reading gaps of the most struggling readers
- A wealth of free resources to share with your teachers
- Numerous, practical in-the-moment formative assessment strategies for progress monitoring
Jaime Bailey will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own reading program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.