This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Two-Day Train‑the‑Trainer Institute:
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and World Language Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
- Train your teachers on the most effective strategies for increasing the level of comprehensible input (CI) in the target language in-person, online and in hybrid learning environments
- Train your teachers on practical ways to achieve ACTFL's goal of 90% use of the target language … Accelerate communicative proficiency in the target language
- Build expertise among your staff on comprehensible input teaching strategies that will help them use the target language almost exclusively from the first day of instruction
Practical Ideas and Strategies
You've heard the expectations for today's world language classroom: stay 90% in the target language, engage all learners, embed lessons with meaningful cultural content, get your students speaking and writing accurately but let go of the way you were taught grammar. Today's professional standards set a high bar for world language teachers. This two-day training is designed to give you the tools and strategies to effectively train world language teachers.
Award-winning world language teacher Jan Holter Kittok models comprehensible input mini lessons that will engage you through experiential learning as a novice language learner – the same principles that are easily adapted to work with higher language levels. Every strategy is followed by research-based insights and step-by-step explanations so teachers can immediately adapt ideas to their own learning environment – any age group, any language or any language level, in-person and online.
You will leave this two-day training with an extensive world language teacher digital resource handbook and dozens of strategies and time-saving planning templates you will be able to use immediately to support your teachers in increasing the level of comprehensible input in all their world language lessons.
A Practical, Two-Day Train-the-Trainer Program to Train Your World Language Teachers on Ways to Maximize Comprehensible Input in the Target Language
Send one or more staff members or a team to this training program and they will return to your school(s) with professional development strategies and resources to support and train your teachers. Participants will learn:
- Ready-to-use strategies to support your staff in significantly increasing the level of comprehensible input in-person and online
- Practical strategies for strengthening reading fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and decoding
- Dozens of free resources – videos, lessons, reading resources
- Practical, formative assessment ideas that work to monitor student progress in-person and online
- Engaging activities that lower the affective filter
This Two Day Train-the-Trainer Program is Cost Effective
If you are interested in providing high-quality training in assessing and increasing the level of comprehensible input in your world language classes, this is the perfect opportunity. Send one teacher or a team and they will leave with an extensive digital resource training handbook filled with the tools needed for their own training, along with access to a companion web-based link filled with additional resources and a PowerPoint template to use and adapt to meet the needs of your own training. The focus of the two-day training will be on practical, highly effective ways to maximize comprehensible input in the target language.
Support and Train Your World Language Teachers in Proven Ways to Maximize Comprehensible Input in Their World Language Classes
- Highly effective strategies for increasing the level of comprehensible input in-class and online
- How to stay in the target language AND have students understand
- Numerous quick and easy formative assessments to check for understanding in-person and online
- How to design output activities so students use the target language to write and speak in a natural way
- How to vary task difficulty and the level of support given to students to scaffold and differentiate their learning experiences
- Engaging activities that lower the affective filter and will help you use the target language almost exclusively from the day your instruction
- Dozens of comprehensible input strategies that foster a language learning environment where all students are comfortable to experiment and take academic risks
- Innovative questioning techniques that will extend conversations by guiding students towards more sophisticated language use in-person and online
- How to teach grammar in a natural, whole language context, allowing students to get a sense of how the language works versus memorizing isolated rules
- Sheltered language techniques that open the door for teaching target culture content topics in the target language at any level
- The power of story and narrative contexts to make language comprehensible and increase the rate of language acquisition
- How to make CONNECTIONS with other subject areas by teaching content such as geography, history, biography, the arts, etc. related to the target culture as part of your world language curriculum
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My professional journey as a world language educator has led me to many places and people at just the right time. Throughout this two-day training, I will be sharing the many "Aha moments" I have learned along the way with the hope that these insights will also guide you in your journey. My lessons are drawn from a variety of teaching experiences: positions in elementary, secondary and college classrooms, immersion camps, study abroad programs, administration and teacher training.
I have designed this two-day training to share with you the very best ways I have discovered and developed over the course of my teaching career to increase the level of comprehensible input in every language level. I will share with you very practical ways to lower the affective filter and make the target language more understandable from the first day students enter your world language classroom. I'll share proven ways you can teach content in the target language from the very beginning of level 1. The strategies I share with you will not only boost your students' proficiency in the target language but will also expand their background knowledge of target culture as well. Teachers of any grade, any level and any language will be able to use these strategies immediately, whether instruction is in-person or online. My goal is that you leave this training so energized that you can't wait to get back to your school to share them with other world language teachers.
P.S. I invite you to grab your professional passport and join me for an idea-packed trip. Leave room in your bag to return with oodles of fresh, practical ideas.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and World Language Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook designed specifically for this two‑day institute. The handbook includes:
- Descriptions of all activities presented in the institute with variations for all levels of instruction in-person and online
- Step-by-step guidance for designing lessons with comprehensible input strategies that lead to successful student output in the target
- language Timesaving outlines for easy-to-create culturally rich and comprehensible lessons in the target language
- The key principles of brain-based language acquisition and how they apply to your learning environment
- Unique tips and tricks for teacher success when implementing the strategies demonstrated in the institute
Share with Other World Language Educators
This institute provides participants a wonderful opportunity to share ideas with other world language educators interested in comprehensible input to enhance their world language programs.
Jan Kittok will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.