Guided Reading: DIFFERENTIATING Using Small Group Instruction (Grades K 2)
Presented by Judy Lynch
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K 2: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Link differentiation and Guided Reading so all your grades K-2 students experience appropriate levels of support and challenge whether you're working in-person or online
- Complement whole class core instruction with small group Guided Reading to provide daily differentiated lessons
- Use Guided Reading and differentiated instruction to meet the needs of students in Tier 1 and Tier 2 targeted groups in Response to Intervention
- Model lessons, classroom video segments and an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical ideas, strategies and activities that will support you in your efforts to differentiate your reading instruction in grades K-2 whether you are teaching in-person or online
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Thislive onlineseminar will focus on linking the proven method of Guided Reading with differentiated instruction to increase the level of support you are providing to your young readers in grades K-2. Master teacher Judy Lynch, will provide you with research-based strategies, methods and activities to help you better meet the wide range of needs in your small reading groups. These ready-to-use ideas will give you a fresh resolve to help all your students reach higher levels of success in their reading.
You will gain insights as you see and hear demonstrations that model the powerful methods presented in this vitally important seminar. You will view many classroom video segments that illustrate the process of incorporating differentiated instruction within your Guided Reading groups.
Throughout this exciting day, Judy will share classroom-proven ideas for teaching the most effective comprehension strategies including valuable vocabulary techniques, interactive phonics appropriate to each grade level, and building fluency.
You'll leave this seminar with a wealth of highly practical ideas, strategies and activities to fully incorporate differentiated instruction into your Guided Reading groups. In addition, you will receive an extensive Guided Reading digital resource handbook that will help you implement these strategies immediately.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate the Key Strategies of Differentiation Within Your Guided Reading Instruction in Grades K-2
Discover how to use differentiated instruction in your Guided Reading small groups to ensure that each and every student becomes a successful reader … Learn the essential steps for combining Guided Reading and differentiated instruction to maximize student achievement in reading
- Accelerate the Reading Success of All Your K-2 Students with Ready-to-Use Strategies and Activities
Allow Judy Lynch to provide you with easy-to-use methods that build upon both differentiation and Guided Reading … Create the conditions that support rapid learning for all your students whether teaching in-person or online
- Differentiate Your Word-Making and Word-Solving Strategies for Emergent, Developing and Fluent Readers
Meet the varied needs of all your readers with highly productive, developmental word work … Pick and choose differentiated lessons that support each small group and complement the text they are reading
- Create Research-Based Small Group Lessons that Use Differentiated Materials to Meet Student Needs in Grades K-2
We know that optimal reading instruction uses materials at our students' instructional levels … Learn simple and easy ways to match books to your Guided Reading groups to complement your differentiated instruction
- Keep the Rest of Your Students Productively Engaged While You Teach Guided Reading Small Groups
Are you tired of students playing during center time? Discover powerful literacy center ideas that will keep your students reading and writing the entire time … Dozens of specific suggestions as well as a wealth of sample materials
- Tips and Techniques for Managing Guided Reading Small Groups and Materials
Make differentiation and Guided Reading easier and more manageable with these outstanding organizational ideas … Valuable tips for incorporating classroom and schoolwide systems for choosing and sharing books that meet your students' needs every day
- Ready-to-Use Nonfiction Strategies That Strengthen Comprehension
Teach summarizing with informational texts you already use
- Assess Your Grades K-2 Students for Continual Progress
Learn easy-to-use methods for assessing the wide range of students in your class to form small Guided Reading groups … Generate specific data to inform your reading instruction throughout the years
- Strengthen Your Standards-Based Basal with Differentiated Small Group Instruction
Link your standards-based strategies to small group daily instruction … Guided Reading provides daily lessons with materials at each student's instructional level … Few programs provide enough small group differentiated books for lessons day after day … Fill that void with materials to challenge and support each student in small group lessons
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas
Learn from a presenter who has used Guided Reading and differentiated instruction with K-2 students for over 20 years … You'll leave with an extensive digital resource handbook packed with over 100 pages of practical differentiation ideas, strategies, activities, tips, sample materials, and resources – all designed for immediate use in K-2 Guided Reading groups both in-person and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to use differentiated instruction in Guided Reading to ensure that all your students become successful readers – whether teaching in-person or online
- Specific differentiated instruction techniques that can be used in Guided Reading small groups to accelerate your students' acquisition of reading skills
- How to choose leveled reading materials that differentiate reading lessons for small groups
- Specific strategies for using differentiated instruction in targeted small groups to meet the needs of students in Tier 1 and Tier 2
- Practical, realistic strategies for differentiating reading instruction for each child in your Guided Reading group
- Assessment strategies for forming flexible small groups to best take advantage of differentiation
- How to build a Word Solver's Tool Kit to link phonics and comprehension to support reading at each developmental level with your grades K-2 class
- Highly practical methods for meeting the needs of all your diverse students in small groups
- How to link assessment to match students to appropriate reading texts and accelerate reading growth
- How to practice fluency within the Guided Reading format with differentiated Readers' Theater
- How to manage materials and students to keep your Guided Reading lessons on track for success
- The most effective teacher coaching to better increase reading achievement in Guided Reading small groups
- Strategies to narrow the achievement gap for Title I students, students with special needs and English Language Learners by using differentiated instruction in Guided Reading small groups
- How to work smarter, not harder while strengthening your Guided Reading instruction with differentiation
- Detailed steps for managing meaningful literacy centers that keep grades K-2 students reading and writing while you teach Guided Reading small groups
- Use reciprocal teaching strategies and free materials to teach summarizing, questioning, predicting, and clarifying
- Highly practical methods for meeting the needs of all your emergent, developing and fluent readers in small groups
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My greatest frustration has been watching my students struggle with reading day after day, while my greatest joy has come from 20 years of turning that around with the diverse students that I teach. I think it's time to move beyond all the problems we face in the classroom and spend a day focusing on practical solutions. We can help all our students find success in reading with research-based strategies that differentiate lessons for the wide range of students in our Guided Reading small groups. Guided Reading helps our struggling readers, as well as challenges the best.
In my seminar, I will share proven ideas that make the best use of your precious time and resources – whether you are teaching in-person or online. Everything I share is practical and easy to implement because I model how to use the techniques, give you materials that are ready to use and show video examples from real K-2 classrooms. This seminar is designed to provide you with practical strategies and activities that are both classroom based and research driven. Who has time for any lessons that aren't best practice? I want you to have the opportunity to pick and choose the strategies and methods that will work best with YOUR students in YOUR school.
Please join me for an exciting day that will reaffirm the powerful teaching you already do in your Guided Reading small groups and will add the essential differentiated instruction strategies and lessons that will help ensure all your students become successful readers. At the end of the seminar you will have dozens of useful and adaptable differentiation techniques to help meet the needs of all the students in your Guided Reading small groups.
P.S. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with over 100 pages of ideas and strategies for linking differentiated instruction and Guided Reading that you can implement immediately – whether teaching in-person or online.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators.
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Guided Reading Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook that includes:
- Resources that make using differentiation and Guided Reading practical and "can do" – whether teaching in-person or online
- Lessons for emergent, developing and fluent readers
- Quick ways to evaluate leveled books for group lessons and level classroom books for a take-home reading program
- Coaching techniques for comprehension and phonics word work
- Practical ways to build independent workers while you teach a small group
- Extensive center ideas that keep students reading and writing
- Fluency instruction for rate, phrasing and expression built into Guided Reading lessons
- Differentiation with choice of materials, grouping and coaching strategies
Judy Lynch will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own reading program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now