This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Distance Learning: Strengthening Your Online READING Instruction (Grades 1-5)
Presented by Mary Peterson
Designed Specifically for Grades 1-5 Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Reading Specialists, and Other Educators Teaching Reading Online in Grades 1-5
- Proven ways to successfully strengthen reading skills and engagement through distance learning
- Timesaving organizational tools for effectively managing your online reading instruction while maintaining your sanity
- A wealth of practical strategies to increase comprehension, fluency, phonics and vocabulary skills of grades 1-5 students
- Receive an extensive digital resource book with a wealth of strategies, online resources, lesson plans, assessment tools, digital student notebooks and so much more!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW strategy-packed seminar by Mary Peterson, an international educational consultant with over 25 years of experience working with elementary school students and teachers, you will discover how to develop reading skills using the most effective, cutting-edge, distance learning instructional reading strategies. You will learn dozens of ideas for working with all students from struggling to high performing, along with ways to continually assess and adjust reading instruction based on student results. You will leave this outstanding seminar with renewed enthusiasm for teaching and learning as well as a wealth of ideas for building confident and competent readers in grades 1-5.
Join Mary for a fast-paced day packed with the best research-based and classroom tested reading strategies that harness the power of technology and bring learning to life! You will walk away not only with an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, easy-to-implement strategies and lessons plans, but access to Mary's online resources designed specifically to enhance your reading instruction. While the day will focus on the practical strategies that work during distance learning, you will quickly see they will increase student engagement and can be applied to the in-person classroom as well.
No matter your experience level with distance learning or these powerful tools, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of practical, use-tomorrow ideas.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Ways to Provide a Higher Quality Virtual Learning Reading Instruction Experience
Explore innovative activities that teach crucial skills for comprehension, phonics, fluency, and vocabulary that can be easily implemented into distance learning
- Accelerate the Reading Success of All Your Grades 1-5 Students with Ready-to-Use Strategies and Activities
Learn how to adapt best practice reading strategies for more effective online instruction
- Increase Student Engagement in Your Online Small Group Reading Instruction
Encourage students to become a part of the learning process by utilizing digital tools to engage students and foster the development of comprehension skills
- Tips and Techniques for Managing Guided Reading Lessons and Materials in Distance Learning
Make distance learning reading instruction easier and more manageable with these outstanding organizational ideas
- Strengthen Students' Reading Comprehension with Highly Effective Reading Comprehension Lessons for the Online Classroom
Meet the varied needs of all your readers with the best comprehension strategies and graphic organizers to use in your distance learning program
- Digitally Differentiate Your Reading Instruction and Interventions
Discover ways to assign appropriately challenging independent work to different groups of students while engaging in distance learning
- Review and Create Online Lesson Plans to Better Meet the Needs of Your Students
Review examples of reading lesson plans and how to fit it all in while keeping students moving forward in their reading goals when learning in an online environment
- Assess Your Students for Continual Progress in Your Distance Learning Reading Program
Learn easy-to-use virtual methods for assessing students' reading skills so you can meet their varied needs
- Utilize Timesaving Strategies to Boost Your Productivity AND Effectiveness Teaching Reading Online
Employ the best tools, apps, materials, and videos to help you save valuable time while increasing student reading success
- Receive an Extensive Digital Handbook Filled with Resources and Strategies to Enhance Your Grades 1-5 Distance Learning Reading Instruction
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar … Ready to download to your desktop for quick and easy reference when teaching reading online!
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Valuable ways to maximize student voice, engagement, and learning in this new virtual world
- Work smarter, not harder … Tips for organizing your distance learning reading classroom
- Specific differentiated instruction techniques that can be used in virtual reading instruction to accelerate your students' acquisition of reading skills
- Dozens of word games and activities to increase phonics skills and vocabulary knowledge
- A wealth of differentiated independent activities for students to work on at home while the teacher is working with small groups.
- Fun, highly effective ways to encourage collaboration, discussion and engagement in your reading groups.
- Discover a wealth of free resources … Learn new ways to use them to strengthen your online reading instruction
- Receive digital reading lessons for immediate use
- Highly practical methods for meeting the needs of all levels of readers
- Digital copies of a Reader's Notebook and Wordbook for students
- Digital graphic organizers to use for literature or informational text
- Digital reading games to play in a group, with a partner or independently
- The newest tools in digital learning and how they can enhance your lesson design
- Highly effective comprehension lessons to create more competent and confident readers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
When I started teaching school, internet was not a thing and the phone was on a cord with a rotary dial. I never stop being amazed at how quickly technology has developed over the last few decades. I am always learning new ways to use technology, but nothing matches what I have learned in 2020. Like so many of you I was suddenly trying to figure out how to most effectively teach virtually. At first, I was sure that reading could just not be taught online. How was I going to assess, group, coach and engage students in reading without seeing them in person? As I have been studying, experimenting and learning about new digital tools and resources I have realized that distance learning reading instruction can be engaging, effective and exciting. Luckily, there are so many amazing tools and resources that will motivate our students to love reading, whether that be virtually at home, or together at school.
I have spent a lot of time adapting the strategies and activities I have always used to make them virtual friendly. In this seminar I will share a wealth of mostly free resources to use in your reading instruction. I will give you lots and lots of comprehension, phonics, fluency, and word study strategies. I will share tips for organizing and scheduling your virtual reading classroom. We will cover virtual assessment techniques and placing students in small groups. I'm convinced that small group instruction is crucial in distance learning. You will learn how to create just-right small group reading lessons using free digital reading material. I have created several ready-to-use reading lesson plans for you. I will share proven ideas that make the best use of your precious time and resources. Everything I share is practical and easy to implement. I want you to have the opportunity to pick and choose the strategies and methods that will work best with YOUR students in YOUR teaching situation.
My goal is for you to leave with a wealth of useful and adaptable distance learning tools and techniques to help meet the needs of all the students in reading. Prepare to discover many outstanding ways you can easily increase student engagement, effectively differentiate, and make the most of your small group and whole class DISTANCE LEARNING reading instruction. I am eager to share these resources with you and am excited for you to walk away with new tips and tricks to add to your bucket of tools for teaching reading online. Thank you for jumping into digital learning with me, and I am looking forward to our day together!
Please join me for a fast-paced day filled with strategies to implement tomorrow. Come ready to learn, laugh, and engage with ready-to-use ideas you'll be able to use immediately with your reading instruction for grades 1-5.
P.S. You will also be given an extensive digital resource handbook filled with resources and strategies to increase reading success in your virtual classroom as well as your in-person classroom.
Who Should Attend
Grades 1-5 Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Reading Specialists, and Other Educators Teaching Reading Online in Grades 1-5
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Organization techniques to work smarter not harder in the distance learning classroom
- A wealth of digital resources which will make virtual teaching so much easier
- Classroom-tested comprehension, vocabulary, phonics and fluency strategies adapted for effective online reading instruction
- Guidelines for differentiated small group lesson plans with many ready-to-use examples
- Hyperlinks to numerous ready-to-use slides and documents created just for seminar participants
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening online reading instruction.
Mary Peterson will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own online reading program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.