Catching Up Students Who've Fallen Behind in Reading (Grades K-2)
Presented by Bola Disu
Specifically Designed for K-2 Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators who work with K-2 Students
- The most effective early literacy teaching strategies to catch up your K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading – whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Practical methods for assessing, managing, and building your striving readers' skills to prepare them for on-level instruction in all content areas
- Develop expertise in working with striving K-2 readers to close the achievement gap and make more than adequate yearly progress
- Receive a digital resource handbook full of strategies and resources to help you catch up your K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading
Practical Ideas and Strategies
What are the best strategies to catch up your students who've fallen behind in reading? Plan to attend this NEW seminar by outstanding Reading Intervention Specialist and classroom teacher, Dr. Bola Disu. The focus of this live online seminar is on the most effective, innovative instructional strategies specifically for helping catch up your Grades K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading – whether you are teaching in-person or online. Dr. Bola Disu's instructional strategies are practical, innovative, and academically rich. Learn how to provide the instructional supports necessary to meet each of your Grades K-2 struggling readers right where they are and to accelerate their progress. Discover an array of strategies for targeting your instruction to meet the varied needs of your students who have fallen behind in reading.
Join Dr. Bola Disu for a day filled with the best, cutting-edge strategies and approaches for helping students who are behind in reading to catch up. You will leave with a multitude of rich strategies, meaningful activities and unique ideas that can be easily adapted to your learning environment, whether you are teaching in-person or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Students Who Have Fallen Behind to Catch Up in Reading – Whether You are Working In-Person or Online
How to accelerate the learning of your striving readers … Expand your personal repertoire of teaching tools to help your students who have fallen behind to catch up in reading
- Keep Your Struggling Readers Engaged and Actively Participating
Explore practical strategies and teacher-friendly ideas to engage your striving readers and to get and keep them actively participating in your lessons and learning
- Help Your Striving Readers Make Strong Skill and Confidence Gains
Discover instructional activities and strategies for supporting your most striving readers … Watch your Grades K-2 struggling readers' confidence and skills grow
- Accelerate Learning Methods for Your Grades K-2 Striving Readers
Learn how to accelerate reading skills acquisition through proven, motivating and fun techniques … Enhance and advance the knowledge and skills of your students who have fallen behind in reading
- Target Your Instruction to Meet the Varied Needs of Your Striving Readers
Ensure your Grades K-2 students receive the focused instruction they need to make rapid learning progress … Target your instruction to individual needs through small group instruction, learning centers, workstations, and more!
- Identify Gaps in Your Striving Readers' Skills and Discover What to Do About It
Explore effective, easy-to-use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps in your students' learning … Target your instruction to help your students catch up
- Dramatically Enhance Guided Reading to Help All Students Reach the Highest Possible Levels of Success
Elevate and maximize the benefits of your Grades K-2 guided reading groups in ways that will help your students achieve dramatic growth as proficient readers
- Strengthen Your Small Group Design by Using Varied Learning Options
Move beyond guided reading by initiating small group alternatives to strengthen and accelerate your students' reading progress
- Support Striving Readers
Incorporating teaching strategies needed to work with students on decoding, comprehension, fluency, and other important areas of literacy
- Receive an Extensive Digital Grades K-2 Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive Grades K-2 digital resource handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in helping in catchup up students who've fallen behind in reading, whether teaching in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Exciting, hands-on, engaging ways to enhance your current Grades K-2 lessons to catch up students who have fallen behind in reading … helps student shift from struggling to striving for success
- How to effectively assess and implement instructional strategies to support the needs striving readers' learning and development
- Ways to scaffold and differentiate your Grades K-2 instruction to best meet the diverse needs of your striving readers
- Fine‑tune your current reading program to function at the highest level using varied approaches that will accommodate the learning needs of your striving readers
- Key components of early literacy development that accelerate Grades K-2 students' learning … Implications for your own online or in-person school or district program
- Strategies for empowering striving readers to take ownership of their learning, whether learning in-person or online
- Develop a repertoire of intervention strategies you can use with your Grades K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading.
- Discover simple, ready to implement strategies for better vocabulary development
- Formal and informal assessments to quickly determine what's important to teach next to ensure acceleration of reading achievement
- Discover simple, interactive activities to target specific Grades K-2 comprehension skills
- Create rigorous, student‑centered tasks that allow students to utilize their knowledge and skills across the curriculum
- Raise the instructional quality of learning opportunities across the curriculum using a broad range of flexible learning options to support and extend your guided reading groups
- Build strategic knowledge using explicit modeling, thoughtful prompting and timely feedback
- Identify the essential key components of early literacy and instructional methods that work
- Accelerate reading progress by involving families in school-home activities to support struggling readers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a classroom teacher, reading intervention specialist and literacy coach, I know firsthand the challenges of working with Grades K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading. For a variety of reasons, many of our students arrive at our classrooms with shaky foundations and gaps in their literacy development. Now, in this COVID era, even more students have fallen behind. In spite of all this, we can and will do all that we can for our struggling readers. Join me for a great day of practical strategies that will increase the success of your Grades K-2 readers!
During this information-packed, interactive seminar, my goal is to provide you with the best strategies for struggling readers. Employing these, easy-to-implement ideas will create a shift in your students. Watch your Grades K-2 students move from struggling readers to striving, successful readers. I will share ways to engage your students and make learning fun. We will focus on highly practical and impactful strategies.
I look forward to meeting you, sharing new resources, and leaving you feeling re-charged and ready for the challenge of helping struggling readers in Grades K-2 succeed. Whether your instruction is now in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment, you'll leave with numerous ideas for helping catch up your students who have fallen behind in reading.
Dr. Bola Disu
P.S. You will receive an extensive reading instruction digital resource handbook filled with numerous ideas and valuable, practical strategies for making more effective use of your Grades K-2 reading instruction with striving readers.
Who Should Attend
K-2 Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators who work with K-2 Students
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
Specific tips, tools and procedures for closing the gap of your striving readers- whether you are teaching in-person or online
A wealth of easy-to-implement resources to target students' needs and provide intention and teacher clarity
Dozens of ready-to-use strategies and activities to catch your students from falling further behind in reading
Tips for effective school-home connection for striving readers.
Specific high‑impact instructional strategies to intensify small group experiences in order to close the gap for striving readers
Practical suggestions to design small group activities that are flexible, dynamic and powerful for your striving readers
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strategies for catching up their Grades K-2 students who have fallen behind in reading.
Dr. Bola Disu will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now