This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Increase Student Perseverance to Improve MATH Learning
Presented by Ashley Taplin
Specifically Designed for Educators Teaching Mathematics in Grades 6–12: Classroom Teachers, Mathematics Specialists, Mathematics Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists and Administrators
- Foster greater student perseverance to increase math understanding
- With greater perseverance, increase the problem solving success of your students
- Foster greater perseverance helping students boost their mathematical thinking
- Proven strategies to increase student success in math whether you are teaching in person or virtually
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Perseverance and engagement, especially in math, does not come automatically to all students. It is, however, something all math students can develop. Join outstanding secondary math teacher, Ashley Taplin, in this NEW seminar that will bridge research and practicality. Learn ways to boost your students' mathematical reasoning, help them purposefully talk, and deepen their understanding of content while strengthening their perseverance and increasing their engagement. Ashley will show you how to make math come alive in your classroom or in a virtual setting with instructional strategies that improve student achievement, develop a growth mindset, and allow your students to take greater ownership of their learning. Teachers will leave not only understanding educational research, but also how to apply it – through dozens of classroom proven, practical strategies – to increase student math success.
Add to your teacher toolbox with a specifically designed playbook filled with countless strategies and tools created specifically for math students in Grades 6-12. The focus of the day will be on specific classroom practices that boost motivation and increase students' ability to persevere while learning math, whether teaching in-person or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Students' Perseverance
Learn effective strategies, techniques and ideas to help your students actively develop perseverance in math problem solving … Empower students to approach difficult problems with increased confidence, flexibility and grit
- Proven Online and In-Person Classroom Strategies to Increase Success in Math
Discover powerful, classroom-proven ways to help students be more successful in learning math … Outstanding practical strategies specifically designed for grades 6-12 math teachers – no matter what courses you teach in school or online
- Enhance Students' Learning with Engaging Strategies
Discover new ways to help your students discuss math and collaborate in effective ways … Classroom-proven strategies you won't want to miss!
- Help Students Take Responsibility for Their Own Math Learning
Gain specific strategies for increasing perseverance … Practical social emotional learning and growth mindset strategies that enable students to take greater ownership in their math learning
- Connect with Powerful, FREE Resources
Explore dozens of ready-to-use resources, lessons and activities that will activate prior knowledge, increase vocabulary use and boost mathematical thinking … Dozens of tips, ideas and resources to help you get started immediately whether teaching in-person or online
- Explore Ways You Can Help Your Students Achieve Long-Term Learning
Learn research-based strategies and powerful tools that increase metacognition for lasting learning that goes beyond surface level interaction with mathematics
- Build Deeper Mathematical Thinking and Communicating
Help students communicate their knowledge through intentional conversation that promotes reasoning and discussion … Math tools and resources designed to increase student participation, motivation and perseverance
- Classroom Tested, Proven Instructional Resources
Explore resources that have been delivered in a variety of classrooms and effectively increase student engagement and achievement in mathematics
- Explore Intervention Strategies
What do you do when students don't learn? Explore carefully crafted resources for intervention during and after an assessment for immediate use in your classroom or online learning environment
- Receive an Extensive Digital Math Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive resource handbook filled with dozens of valuable math resources, strategies, ready-to-use tips, and tools help you increase your students' perseverance and learning
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative and student-centered strategies for implementing the most cutting-edge tools for grades 6-12 math teachers
- Research-based and classroom-proven strategies that engage students online or in person
- Build your students' confidence and perseverance throughout a lesson
- Walk away with student materials you can immediately implement in your classroom
- Questioning techniques that increase rigor, reflection, and discussion in your classroom
- Practical ways to help students talk productively about math
- Analyze why students may struggle and discover new ways to help support
- Fun, new ways to have students interact with their notes and practice
- Help your students develop a growth mindset and foster social emotional learning in your math classroom
- Ready-to-use instructional activities for students to practice and gain confidence in their math skills whether you're teaching in-person or online
- Build students' understanding of a topic with new ideas to access prior knowledge
- Increase communication between students in your classroom with purposeful talk
- Strategies to promote effective collaborative learning
- Specific ways to check for understanding and intervene or extend for students' needs
- Dozens of ideas and resources for algebraic and geometric topics
- Many motivating ways to incorporate "fun" into computation and problem-solving lessons
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with the problems longer."
Wouldn't it be amazing if all our students embraced this philosophy? Learning math and developing the ability to persist is challenging but not impossible. I am so excited to bring you this seminar full of practical ideas for increasing engagement and perseverance in your grade 6-12 math students, whether you're teaching in-person or online.
We are in an ever-changing world of education with so many new initiatives, new standards, and new pressures seemingly every year including learning how to teach virtually. And yet, with so many changes, information has become even more accessible to learn and grow from. Much like you, I love creating ways for students to talk and debate about math, to collaborate and learn from each other, and to be proud of what they accomplish every day.
This seminar day is focused on our passion: teaching math to grades 6-12 students! Together, we will dive into classroom-tested, research-based practices that turn theory into meaningful, accessible, and enriching experiences for students. This seminar is designed to inspire excitement for learning and make math come alive in your in-person or virtual classroom.
I want to help you explore innovative ideas and effective approaches to teaching and leave feeling ready to turn around and implement these ideas in your classroom the next day. Join me for an engaging day of learning as we focus on elevating the success of you and your students.
P.S. You will leave this seminar equipped with a wealth of practical, ready-to-use strategies AND with renewed energy to make a marked difference in the lives of your students!
Who Should Attend
Educators Teaching Mathematics in Grades 6–12: Classroom Teachers, Mathematics Specialists, Mathematics Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use, classroom-proven activities and strategies to increase student perseverance and improve learning
- Comprehensive samples for both online and in-person teaching
- Innovative ways to transform notes, practice and intervention
- Empower students with ideas to persevere and become better problem solvers
Ashley Taplin will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.