This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
MOTIVATING THE UNMOTIVATED: Teaching the Hard-to-Reach Student
Presented by Wade McJacobs
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants and Administrators
- Classroom‐proven strategies to build confidence, empower reluctant students and increase engagement in learning whether working with students in-person or online
- Innovative teaching techniques that help increase self-awareness for success in school
- Ways to help students feel empowered to increase personal responsibility over their school lives
- Creative approaches empowering teachers to establish healthy effective relationships with struggling students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are your students just going through the motions of being a student without any serious engagement in learning? Or worse, have your students simply given up on school as a place to find success? Are you feeling like you have exhausted the options in your toolbox for reaching these struggling and unmotivated students? If so, this seminar is for you!
In this NEW, engaging, fast-paced seminar, you'll discover countless, new strategies proven to empower students with feelings of confidence that translate into action whether working with students in-person or online. Your hard-to-reach students will gain the skills and self-assurance they need to succeed in any classroom. You will learn a wide variety of proven tools that lead to improved confidence and skills across the curriculum. Couple this with a new system for communication with your students, parents and colleagues and you will be empowered with the mindset and necessary tools to change the success of even your most challenging student.
Wade McJacobs, an educator with over 30 years of experience, will share these successful techniques applicable to both in-person and online setting. You'll leave this seminar with a renewed sense of purpose, equipped with an expanded "toolbox" of proven strategies that will allow your students to develop their confidence and become more motivated in ways that make learning more meaningful and achievable.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Success-Oriented Mindset
Learn proven techniques for creating success-oriented mindsets … Learn specific ways of increasing determination and passion for learning as well as changing attitudes toward setbacks or failure whether working with students in-person or online
- Empower Students
Empower students to increase their willingness to learn … Strengthen their social emotional skills
- Meet Students Where They Are
Adopt new, specific systems to uncover the root causes of the struggles of your students … Apply relevant interventions easy to use in-person or online
- Support Parent Efforts in Creating School Setting in the Home
Provide parents with a framework to support students in effective studenting skills whether they are supporting their child's learning in a traditional or virtual setting
- Improve Student Commitments to Learning
Learn how to get buy-in to a willingness to read assigned tasks even in a virtual setting … Improve student focus on ideas leading to deeper comprehension
- Make Behavior Support Plans Work More Effectively
Learn the essential components of Behavior Support Plans that work … Gain specific techniques for solving student challenges and putting an end to unproductive meetings that only air frustrations
- Eliminate Stigma, Alter the Mindset of Your Students
Utilize effective techniques for eliminating negative thinking … Turn around students who see themselves as the "slow-reader" or "the failure"
- Discover How to Maximize Comprehension
Build confidence in students' reading skills … Realize significant increases in students' comprehension in all subject areas
- Re-engage the Student Who Has Given Up
Gain high impact systems for empowering students … Reframe their thinking and help them see they CAN succeed in school
- Receive a Valuable Motivation Digital Resource Handbook
Participants will receive a resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in the seminar you can immediately apply whether you're working in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven techniques to build student confidence, self-awareness and independence in a virtual teaching setting
- Step-by-step process of acknowledging success Method of effectively using Behavior Support Plans in a busy classroom
- Mindset that stimulates creative solutions to unique student challenges Approaches to encourage student buy-in to their learning, whether it is in-person or virtual
- Techniques for empowering students to feel their capacity to learn and succeed
- Utilization of methods to eliminate stigma of the "slow-reader"
- Enhancing comprehension with a focus on ideas in the text
- Methods for re-engaging students who have given up hope for their success
- Discovering the root causes for the challenges that interfere with student success
- Provide parents with a framework to support students in effective studenting skills in the virtual setting
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Jake was a struggling but succeeding student when his father was killed. Overnight Jake became a non-producing student whose only answer to every question was "I don't know." He was numb. Jake needed a different approach to managing school. Brian had two words for the new skill being taught in his elementary PE class, "That's impossible!" He was reluctant to even try something that was outside of his comfort zone. Brian needed to see his world differently in order to feel confident to interact with new challenges.
Students want to feel success. They do not want to see themselves as failures, but often their experience with success is so limited that they find it hard to imagine. We all face students who are suffering with any of a variety of struggles that interfere with school success. So often we are pulled to work with a student in a different way, but we, ourselves, struggle to find the right approach in our toolbox. In order for a student to be motivated, there must be a feeling of confidence. Students need to feel empowered to take action, to achieve success, and yes, even to fail without harm. In today's uncertain world where we may be asked to teach in virtual classrooms, it is even more important for students to feel empowered with their own success. But how do we, as teachers, empower our students toward action? Sometimes the tools we have work, but sometimes they do not. We need to maximize our creative powers to implement practical tools that develop a "can do" mindset.
Join me for this fast-paced, energetic seminar to learn new strategies that bring success to students like Jake, Brian and those in your classrooms today. Leave this seminar with specific strategies to apply in your virtual or in-person classrooms, and more importantly leave feeling empowered with the ability to create strategies for your unique students.
Believing in you,
P.S. Prepare for an interactive day! The emphasis will be on proven and practical ideas you can use immediately in your work with your unmotivated students. You will leave with actual tools to implement and the confidence to do so, whether you're teaching in-person or online!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Tools for implementing effective behavior interventions whether teaching in-person or online
- Step-by-step procedures for implementing reading strategies that build confidence
- Device for addressing steps for success with students
- Strategies for effective conferencing about challenging students
- Guidelines for implementing effective strategies for building confidence
Wade McJacobs will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program. "Wade's instructional strengths shine! He is passionate, relatable and practical."
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.