This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
MOTIVATION, MINDSET and GRIT: Proven Strategies to Accelerate Learning and Improve Behavior
Presented by Sandy Stewart
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, School Psychologists, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
- Proven practices for improving students' engagement, developing a positive growth mindset and attitude toward learning, and increasing students' grit and determination to achieve academically in-class and online
- Practical strategies that encourage and support students to give their best efforts in and out of class
- Classroom-proven strategies for increasing motivation, responsibility, self-control, and cooperation
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook that includes proven practices for increasing students' intrinsic motivation, emotional intelligence, and determination to succeed
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This practical seminar is designed to help you significantly increase student motivation, grit, determination, and perseverance. You will learn powerful ways to help students develop a positive growth mindset and develop a stronger capacity to actively engage in the learning process, give their best efforts in school, and to persevere when they meet obstacles in their achievement. Outstanding teacher and presenter, Sandy Stewart will provide a compelling research-based rationale and dozens of specific, practical structures and strategies that have the power to help all students become successful in face-to-face instruction and online.
By applying these strategies you can improve students' attitudes toward themselves as learners, decrease off-task or disruptive behavior, increase your time to teach, strengthen student engagement, increase learning, and produce higher student achievement.
The focus of the day will be on specific classroom practices that boost motivation and increase students' ability to persevere, including the seemingly "unmotivated" or oppositional students. The goal is to increase responsible behavior, motivate greater student effort and produce higher student achievement.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Students' Motivation to Learn and Succeed In-Class and Online
Learn the essential components of student motivation and practical ways to increase students' motivation and desire to do well in class and online
- Help Students Develop a Positive Growth Mindset
A positive growth mindset is essential for developing a positive attitude toward academic achievement … Learn specific ways to help your students develop a positive attitude toward assignments and classwork and to see themselves as lifelong learners
- Help Students Develop Grit and Determination
Learn specific ways of increasing students' determination and passion for learning as well as changing students' attitude toward setbacks or failure … Build the key skill of perseverance
- Enhance Your Distance Learning Lessons to Increase Student Success
Learn time-efficient ways to create virtual lessons that effectively boost student engagement and achievement
- Inspire Maximum Student Effort
Specific ways of creating the conditions for students to surpass expectations … Ideas for how to best inspire students to give their maximum efforts and strive for excellence in their work and behaviors
- Help Students Take Responsibility for Their Own Learning
Gain specific strategies for empowering students to become self-motivated learners who understand their roles and responsibilities in the teaching/learning process … Build self-regulation
- Teach Students to Better Understand and Manage Their Emotions
Self-regulation techniques are vital and need to deliberately be taught, modeled and promoted in the classroom … Here's how
- Reduce Negative Behaviors and Increase Positive, Productive Attitudes and Behaviors
Prevent discipline problems before they occur and learn how to handle them when they do occur … Encourage positive, productive work behaviors
- Incorporate Mindfulness Activities to Better Focus Students' Attention, Increase Motivation and Reduce Stress
Learn practical ways mindfulness activities can be incorporated into your classroom to help students better focus their attention, regulate their emotions and make more positive choices
- Receive a Valuable Digital Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a digital resource handbook filled with ideas, strategies, structures, and activities on how to increase students' motivation, determination, grit and positive growth mindset in-class and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Specific strategies to improve students' attitudes toward learning and themselves as learners in-person and online
- Practical approaches to increase students' "grit" — their engagement in the learning process and their ability to persevere
- Specific ways of helping students choose a positive growth mindset, one that inspires all students to give their best efforts
- Research-based information to help you understand what motivates students to give their best efforts
- Specific strategies to help students better regulate their emotions, stress and anxiety, control impulses and persevere in overcoming obstacles
- Proven ways of creating a physically and emotionally safe, orderly classroom climate
- Specific techniques to make sure students are active participants and not passive onlookers
- Practical approaches to building positive, trusting relationships with students and creating a learning community where students want to put forth their maximum efforts
- Engaging and relevant instructional strategies that increase student interest and time-on-task
- Effective intervention strategies that keep the student/teacher relationship intact when discipline incidents occur
- Highly effective ways to generate more time-on-task and inspire students to persevere and strive for excellence in their work and behaviors
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My first 15 years of teaching were in an inner city setting where I realized very quickly that motivating students was going to be one of the greatest challenges that I was going to face. That was true then and it still rings true as I enter my 32nd year in education. Very early on I began my own journey in not only understanding the complex theories and research behind motivation, mindset and grit but my passion became how to translate these big ideas into everyday classroom teaching. Over time I also began to understand how these concepts were so closely intertwined with sincere, genuine relationship teaching, engaging academic approaches and setting up our classrooms with the "non-cognitive" social and emotional life skills as well.
Drawing on my many years of classroom teaching experience, the latest research and insights from extensive additional training, I have designed this seminar to provide you with specific ways to motivate students to improve their attitude toward learning and school, increase their daily engagement, improve their ability to persevere and to understand how to change mindsets in a classroom. I encourage you to join me in this highly interactive one-day seminar. The day is packed with realistic ideas and strategies that can be easily implemented into the fast and furious teaching day. I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm, experience and ideas with you so that you, in turn, can create the conditions for all students to succeed. Whether your instruction is in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment, you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
P.S. Although the ideas I present are research-based, my goal will be on sharing the practical ways any classroom teacher can increase students' motivation and willingness to give their best efforts both in and out of the classroom.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, School Psychologists, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies for increasing students' motivation and engagement whether you're working in-person or online
- Practical approaches to increasing students' grit, their determination, ability to learn from failure, and their perseverance
- Proven approaches to helping students achieve a growth mindset
- Ideas for building responsibility and cooperative behaviors in all your students
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Sandy Stewart will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.