Increasing Your Reading Intervention Impact: Intentional Differentiated Interventions to Accelerate Literacy Success Across the Day (Grades K-5)
Presented by Mary Howard
Specifically Designed for Grades K-5 Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Proven instructional intervention strategies to help support struggling readers achieve greater literacy success
- Flexible open-ended "POWER" strategies that will increase the effectiveness of reading interventions in-person and online
- Research-based differentiated interventions that can be used within and beyond the classroom setting across for greater coordinated effort
- Heighten your impact by merging intervention and differentiation to maximize your efforts and deepen learning for struggling readers
Practical Ideas and Strategies
For too long, our struggling readers have been labeled and assigned to an "intervention room" where we ignore our collective impact . In this outstanding seminar, internationally recognized as a leading voice in literacy, Mary Howard will share how to significantly increase the impact of literacy instruction for your struggling readers. You'll discover practical and proven ways to incorporate intentional differentiated intervention opportunities for struggling readers across the entire day in order to embrace a collective culture of interventions as we accelerate literacy learning by viewing every setting as an "intervention" opportunity.
Mary will share innovative ways to shift your intervention mindset as you make room for more robust instruction, targeted support and enthusiastic literacy opportunities with intervention impact throughout the school day. Mary will identify roadblocks and critical features within a broader literacy design with specific strategies you can implement immediately to refocus your time and energy on the most essential literacy practices.
You will leave this power-packed session with a renewed sense of focus and a treasure chest of tips, strategies and ideas to accelerate the success of your struggling readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Optimize Literacy Instruction for Your Struggling Readers
Learn dozens of engaging strategies that dramatically increase the quality of instruction to help your struggling readers achieve greater success across the entire day … Discover a wide variety of intervention options for in-person and online learning environments
- Re-Envision the WHY, WHAT and HOW of Interventions for Greater Impact
Optimize the literacy growth of our struggling readers using powerful day-to-day differentiated interventions using layers of support that are more responsive to achieve accelerated gain
- Make Better Use of Small Group or Side-By-Side Options to Focus on Unique Needs of Struggling Readers
Initiate a variety of flexible homogeneous and heterogeneous supports to initiate easy-to-implement, in-the-moment opportunities that are both intensive and invitationall
- Incorporate a Menu of Thoughtful High-Impact Interventions
Expertly blend whole class, teacher-supported and peer-supported learning that will dramatically increase the impact of your interventions and increase the potential for transfer of learning
- Use a Wide Range of Varied Text Experiences to Accelerate Support
Understand how to select texts that will increase student engagement as you implement student-centered peer collaborations that empower your instructional impact with instructional support at any time in the day
- Instantly Transform Learning Experiences into Differentiated Interventions
Learn how to initiate brief, targeted interventions within the course of your instruction … Discover innovative ways to accelerate your instructional impact through thoughtful and flexible support opportunities
- Intensify Text-Centered Differentiated Interventions with Simple Instructional Shifts
Widen the range of your text experiences using books, images, video, poetry, wordless books, and picture books that are designed to build strategic knowledge and promote independent problem solving
- Honor the Reciprocal Nature of Reading and Writing to Accelerate Literacy Growth
Combine reading and writing in ways that will dramatically enhance the quality of your instructional interventions by merging reading and writing to elevate instruction and increase the potential for transfer
- Use Day-to-Day Assessments to Inform Your Differentiated Interventions
Initiate easy-to-use assessments that document student learning in ways that will inform your instruction and uncover patterns of instructional need across multiple content areas and instructional settingss
- Incorporate an Instructional Framework that Accommodates Daily Interventions
Redefine the role of interventions by creating a flexible daily schedule designed to raise your instructional impact in-person and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Powerful differentiated interventions to accelerate learning based on the day-to-day learning needs of your struggling readers in-person and online
- Blend complex and just right texts in ways that will deepen your instructional support experiences
- Understand the essential features (and myths) of literacy intervention practices
- What moment-to-moment interventions look like, feel like and sound like
- Simple ways to increase the effectiveness of your literacy interventions
- How to use formative assessment to inform and enhance the success of interventions
- Ways to fine-tune your literacy program so that it will function at the maximum level
- How to embed interventions into the heat-of-learning moments
- Practical ways to raise your instructional intensity using a wide range of support options
- A menu of flexible scaffolds for on-the-spot differentiated interventions
- How to identify essential approaches to elevate your intervention impact for THAT child in THAT moment
- Specific intervention ideas to increase stamina and student engagement for struggling readers
- POWER PRACTICES that are flexible enough to be adapted across all topics and grade levels
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Nearly 50 years ago, I began a life-long journey of ensuring literacy success for our most fragile learners. Since my entry as a special education teacher, I have become a vocal advocate for celebrating the many gifts that all children bring to the learning table. I have questioned how Response to Intervention (RTI) has been implemented as RTI studies continue to illustrate less than impressive results. It is now my professional imperative to design a framework that will allow us to re-envisions the role of interventions and where and when they can occur. I will share specific guidelines to embrace all learners, dramatically reduce the need for pull-out approaches and decrease, rather than widen, the existing gap.
I've designed this seminar to show how simple instructional shifts can significantly alter our intervention success when accelerated support occurs across the day. In spite of extensive research to the contrary, volume and joy have often become the sacrificial lamb as intervention skill and drill ignores decades of research support for instructional opportunities that elevate meaning, purpose, authenticity, access to texts and choice. Too often, children are removed from the very experiences that could accelerate their ultimate success in a more timely process and beckon them as valued members of our learning communities.
The good news is that we must no longer choose between interventions and joyful literacy. In this powerful learning day, I will help you re-envision what is possible with easy-to-implement practices designed to intensify your instruction through responsive differentiated interventions. You will learn dozens of open-ended approaches that are supported by research on literacy and how the brain learns and can easily be implemented across the entire day in any setting. I'll share with you proven ways to amplify your potential as you invite your struggling learners on a path to becoming life-long readers who lead readerly lives both within and beyond our four walls. Joy-centered interventions are completely within our reach and I am excited to show you what enthusiastic, responsive, thoughtful literacy instruction looks like. Whether you are teaching in-person, online or in a hybrid learning enviroment you'll leave with numerous ideas you'll be able to use right away.
Dr. Mary Howard
P.S. You will leave with an extensive digital resource handbook filled with strategies, tips, tools, ideas and approaches that will help you accelerate your struggling readers' literacy progress in the most engaging and pleasurable ways – and you will leave inspired and energized!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-5 Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, Interventionists, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- An extensive toolbox of specific intervention shifts to maximize your instructional efforts across the learning day whether in-person or online
- Easy-to-implement, on-the-spot interventions
- Specific suggestions to raise the intensity and quality of your interventions through varied flexible small groups and one-on-one coaching and conferring
- Differentiated interventions for just right moments in the day for more intensive and responsive instructional supports
- Dozens of resources, forms and ideas that will help you put your learning into immediate practice and provide your students with accelerated support
Share with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in practical ways to strengthen the achievement of struggling readers in grades K-5.
Mary Howard will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own reading program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.