This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Best Reading Strategies to Accelerate Fluency and Proficiency In the Target Language
Presented by Bryce Hedstrom
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
- Proven strategies to make reading in the target language produce higher levels fluency and proficiency both in-classroom and online
- Highly effective ways to increase the time your students spend reading the target language
- Differentiate reading instruction in the target language … Provide the appropriate degree of rigor for all students
- Receive an extensive digital world language resource handbook filled with practical reading ideas, activities, comprehension checks, and additional resources that will support both online distance learning and in person classroom environments
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding NEW seminar by nationally known world language teacher, Bryce Hedstrom, has been specifically designed to help you more effectively teach your world language students reading in ways that will result in greater proficiency and fluency in the target language. Bryce will present practical ideas to more effectively differentiate your world language reading instruction making target language reading more engaging and successful for all of your students. This hands-on, strategy-rich seminar will help you more successfully engage all students in reading, from beginners to advanced as well as native speakers, in the target language.
Bryce will present and model proven reading strategies, activities, techniques and materials during the seminar. You will leave with dozens of highly effective reading practices, many of which require little or no preparation and can be used in classroom, hybrid, or online formats.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn NEW, Practical Strategies for Teaching Reading in the World Language Classroom
Learn numerous proven techniques to more deeply engage students and improve their language acquisition whether you are working with students in-person or online
- Differentiate Reading Instruction to Reach All Language Learners
Discover many dynamic, proven techniques to help all students succeed and feel good about reading in your world language class … Learn quick and effective ways to check for understanding and provide the appropriate degree of rigor for all students
- Identify the Specific Vocabulary Beginners Need in Order to Begin Reading
Some words are more helpful than others … Find out which ones, why and how to use targeted vocabulary to launch beginners and give more advanced students the help they really need
- Learn from a Nationally Recognized, Outstanding World Language Teacher
Bryce is recognized across the country and abroad for his innovative ideas in world language teaching … As an experienced world language classroom teacher, he knows what works with the constantly moving target of today’s students
- Gain a Fresh Perspective on the Grammar/Reading Connection
Incorporate the most current research on reading and grammar development ... Learn how reading allows students to acquire elements of grammar naturally and get your students understanding and fluently using challenging grammar
- Discover the Benefits and Pitfalls of Online Reading
Learn proven ways that work to engage students with online reading while maneuvering around the distractions
- Learn Innovative Ways to Build Bridges to Authentic Texts
Learn how to use a variety of reading materials in ways that will encourage students and get them able and willing to read authentic materials
- Get New Insights on Motivating Reluctant Readers
Acquire proven strategies to make engaging less-than-enthusiastic readers a natural part of your teaching and diminish “fake reading”
- Utilize Meaningful Reading Comprehension Checks to Enhance Your Instruction
How to use targeted comprehension checks to enhance instruction and engage students in the target language without disrupting the flow of your lessons
- Receive an Extensive Digital World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook with copy-ready materials specifically designed for this seminar filled with a wealth of practical reading ideas, information and activities ideally suited for helping your students whether you’re working with them in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Classroom-tested reading routines that will maximize your instructional time and result in greater fluency and proficiency in the target language appropriate for use in remote distance learning and in-person classroom environments
- Engaging reading rituals that will make your class feel special and fun
- Three simple but effective strategies to teach reading in the target language that keep students engaged and able to read on their own – even in lower level classes
- The no-prep reading strategy that launches fluency to unparalleled levels
- How to choose the most effective reading materials for long-term language acquisition and to help students acquire the most challenging aspects of grammar
- Five ways to check reading comprehension quickly and painlessly with low to-no prep techniques
- Ways to implement a step by step reading cycle to integrate whole class novels into each course’s curriculum and assessment
- Proven techniques to make reading content meaningful and relevant to more students
- How to ask follow-up questions about reading in a simple and comprehensible way that lets students know you care and models conversation they can use in the target language
- Establish specific criteria to more effectively form, organize, schedule, and adjust a regular free choice reading program
- Simple, easy to implement suggestions to maintain the flexible nature of paired and small group reading
- Highly effective differentiation techniques for reading that will challenge faster learners, meet average students and not leave slower students behind
- Ways to encourage enthusiastic reading in the target language inside and outside of the classroom
- Fine tune your current reading program to function at the highest level with varied approaches to accommodate the varied learning needs of all students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Some people seem to be born to teach. I wasn’t one of them. I come from a family of teachers and I always longed to be effective in the classroom, but for years I was honestly just not that good at it. With the help of colleagues and seminars like this one, I slowly learned techniques that worked. Later, I developed many further strategies of my own. This seminar is designed to increase your learning curve and bypass years of your own struggle by sharing what has worked for me in teaching reading in the world language classroom.
The focus of our day will be on high leverage strategies and specific techniques of teaching reading that will accelerate your students’ language acquisition in engaging and effective ways. This is not theory for me - I’ve used each of these methods in the crucible of my own middle school and high school classes. The techniques I will share with you are grounded in the current best practice of world language instruction, the latest brain research, and years of practical application. You will get the kind of insight and advice that only an experienced teacher can give you.
I have designed this unique seminar to include numerous practical ideas that will help you to continue to deliver compelling comprehensible input to your student on a sustainable basis. Teaching practical reading strategies is a passion and an area where I have been able to help teachers immensely … and I will share my very best ideas with you.
I am confident that you will leave this seminar energized and eager to add the practical ideas you have picked up to your own teaching repertoire. You will have many additional strategies to create a classroom that is proficiency-focused, humane, inclusive, where all students feel that they can read the language and look forward to coming to class. Whether you are teaching in-person, online or in a hybrid language learning environment you’ll leave with numerous ideas you use immediately.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar and spending the day with you!
P.S. The emphasis will be on practical reading strategies that you can start using the day after the seminar in your own classroom.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Concrete strategies to design an effective reading program designed specifically for the world language classroom whether you’re teaching in-person or online
- How to begin with the end of authentic reading in mind, even with beginners
- Principles and practices to manage and integrate digital reading and video
- Effective approaches and materials to check for reading comprehension
- Tips and techniques to deal with reluctant readers
Bryce Hedstrom will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.