This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Increasing Performance in the Target Language to Strengthen Your Students' Communicative Proficiency (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Alyssa Villarreal
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
- New, innovative techniques to increase engagement and accelerate communicative proficiency in the target language in-class, online and in hybrid learning environments
- Time-efficient ways to give feedback and use effective assessment tools and processes
- Ready-to-use ideas and powerful methods that increase instructional time in the target language that is authentic and meaningful
- Proven strategies to establish and sustain a motivating classroom environment that accelerates your students' performance in the target language
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you looking for practical ideas of how to meet the ACTFL recommendation of using the target language 90% of the time in your classroom? Do you have students who do not stay in the target language? Do you have students who are not always motivated? This engaging seminar will answer these questions with ready-to-use, low-prep activities that will help you develop an immersive language learning atmosphere where students feel comfortable using their new language skills to communicate meaningful messages. You will learn to build on the characteristics of today's post-millennial students to enhance their performance in the target language. In this outstanding seminar, experienced world language teacher, Alyssa Villarreal will share motivating interactive activities designed to accelerate your students' use of the target language both in-class and online.
You will leave this seminar with an extensive world language instruction digital resource handbook and dozens of strategies you will be able to use immediately to accelerate your students' use of the target language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Accelerate Your Students' Communicative Proficiency in Person and Online
Learn practical strategies that will develop students' communicative proficiency in the target language … Discover innovative ways to engage with students and communicate almost exclusively using the target language in-person, and in distance learning environments
- Learn New and Innovative Ideas to Invigorate Your World Language Instruction
Acquire engaging, highly efficient techniques and activities to increase your students' motivation and learning in your world language classroom
- Increase Your Students' Performance and Use of the Target Language
Target language use increases as students personally relate to the topics of study and as they share these connections with each other … Here's how
- Enhance the Interpersonal Mode of Communication
Experience a wealth of interpersonal activities for developing unrehearsed and spontaneous speaking at all levels
- Utilize the Target Language from Day One
Engage your students in use of the target language from the first day of class … Here's how
- Create a Learning Environment Where Students Love Using the Target Language, In-Class and Online
Learn proven techniques to maximize students' use of the target language through clear expectations, established processes and structures to sustain a safe, supportive, self-expressive, and resource-rich environment
- Engage Students in Innovative Activities that Build Classroom Rapport
Discover innovative, interactive activities that motivate students to share their background knowledge, experiences and ideas
- Build a Language Learning Community Where Students Work Together
Students enjoy personalized activities where they collaborate to create and problem solve together … Here's how
- Cultivate a Safe and Engaging Language Learning Environment
Foster a language learning environment where all students are comfortable to experiment and take academic risks using the target language … Leave with an expanded repertoire of proven techniques to motivate all students and avoid impediments to language learning
- Receive an Extensive World Language Instruction Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar filled with ready-to-use materials, a wealth of practical ideas, information, and activities that promote use of the target language in-class and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Meaningful activities that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning and expressing their ideas in-class and online
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor their progress and effort in use of the target language
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students to want to use the target language
- Proven ideas to strengthen student performance through self and peer assessment
- Intentional strategies that scaffold novice students from nonverbal to verbal communication
- Specific strategies for avoiding common pitfalls in communicative classrooms
- Engaging, communicative activities that are applicable for all students, from novice to advanced
- Assessment ideas that align to proficiency-based teaching … In-class and online
- Innovative ways to elicit effective interpersonal communication skills in any language on any topic
- How to better empower your students to interact and engage in the target language with intent
- How to create a classroom culture and community that breeds trust, builds proficiency and creates a desire to continue acquiring language
- Proven techniques to help students, parents and administrators understand the value of using the target language and developing communicative proficiency
- Utilizing flipped classroom ideas to build vocabulary and grammar structure knowledge and bring more interaction to the classroom time
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
What is your real goal for your students and for yourself? I am quite sure it is NOT talking about a set of grammar rules or a series of vocabulary lists. I am talking about WHY you truly wanted to be a language teacher.
I am sure that you want your students to love language and culture as well as embrace this learning and carry it on beyond the walls of your classroom as much as I do. You probably also want to feel that as their teacher, you have had a big hand in inspiring them to feel this way. The most important key to making this a reality is to get them to speak in the language to you and to each other!
I know from experience IT CAN BE DONE! In this seminar, I will share a wide variety of meaningful ways we can accomplish this in our classes each day. Connecting with our students as global citizens and on a level that helps them see the importance of their language learning as well as the fun inherent in this experience will be at the heart of our work together during the seminar. I will demonstrate innovative ways to approach feedback and all of you will take part in an interactive experience that will leave us all with practical ideas, proven strategies and tangible activities that will work right away. My favorite thing to do is work with teachers and to take the opportunity to put many creative minds in the same space. The outcomes are always full of excitement and new energy. Whether your instruction is face-to-face, online or in a hybrid learning environment, you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
P.S. This seminar is not about theory but instead will focus on practical ideas that I know from my years in the classroom will work for today's students.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive World Language Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Concrete strategies and techniques to accelerate proficiency in-class and online
- Simple and effective approaches to assessing interpersonal communication
- Tips and tricks to personalize students' learning
- Principles of communicative language teaching that anyone teaching for proficiency needs to know
- Templates for peer and self-assessment, rubrics and more
Share with Other World Language Educators
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to share ideas with other world language educators interested in strengthening their students' communicative proficiency.
Alyssa Villarreal will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.