Enhancing FRENCH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION: Practical Activities to Strengthen Your Students' Proficiency in French (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Margaret Schmidt
Developed Specifically for Educators Teaching French at Middle School and High School Levels
- Dozens of effective ideas designed to build French language proficiency, and proven for virtual, hybrid, and in-person instruction
- Ready-to-use, innovative activities to support and streamline your French instruction
- Powerful techniques that develop all modes of communication and immerse French students in authentic resources and learning tasks
- Engaging strategies that increase French language usage as students express ideas, exchange information, and negotiate meaning
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This NEW live online seminar is designed specifically to provide French teachers with dozens of easy-to-implement strategies and activities to enhance students' success communicating in French. Join outstanding French teacher and international presenter, Margaret Schmidt for a day of exploring dozens of practical ways to enhance your instruction and your French students' success. Actively engage your French students' use of the target language in authentic, real-life tasks. Gain effective, timesaving ways to help your planning more easily snap into place. This practical, hands-on seminar will show you exactly how to improve your daily French lessons, instructional units, and even your whole school year!
Whether you are a new French teacher, highly experienced, or anywhere in between, you will gain many outstanding ideas for taking your French instruction to the next level. Armed with dozens of clear, practical strategies perfect for your French program and an extensive digital resource handbook, you will be equipped to maximize the impact of your instruction and your students' proficiency in French.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Maximize the Effectiveness of Your French Language Instruction
This seminar is designed specifically for French teachers looking for culture-rich resources and innovative ideas to increase students' engagement and language acquisition … Gain practical ideas for in-person as well as hybrid and distance learning environments
- Strengthen the Learning of Your French Students
Maximize your instructional time and impact with structures designed to bring greater organization and clarity to your lessons, curriculum and program … Boost your students' French language development
- Increase Students' French Language Usage with Authentic Resources
Explore practical, effective ways to achieve ACTFL's goal of 90% target language use in your French program … Learn structured techniques that encourage authentic exchange of information for all French students from beginners to advanced
- Promote Authentic Interpersonal Communication
Practice strategies that facilitate relevant, relatable and practical interpersonal communication using French
- Accelerate Language Acquisition Using Interpretive Communication
Discover easy-to-implement, engaging ways to maximize your students' French reading and listening comprehension
- Promote Deep Understanding of Francophone Cultures Using Multiliteracies
Gain practical strategies designed to immerse your students by weaving cultural components into every aspect of your French curriculum and program
- Enhance Your Instruction with the Best French Online Resources
Explore numerous resources and platforms, perfect for your French language instruction … Create dynamic, interactive lessons and practice opportunities that engage and extend your French students' learning in many ways
- Monitor Your French Students' Progress through Purposeful Assessments
Gain effective, authentic assessments perfect for quickly checking student understanding and gauging students' French language growth and proficiency
- Use Comprehensible Input Strategies to Increase Your Students' Proficiency in French
Help all your students gain proficiency in French through Comprehensible Input strategies … Here's how!
- Receive an Extensive French Language Teaching Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar, which includes practical strategies, activities and tools ready for use tomorrow in your French language instruction – whether you are teaching in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative ideas specifically designed to increase students' proficiency in your French language program … Practical ideas for your in-person and online instruction
- Interactive strategies to increase students' interpretive skills
- Multiliteracy methods to immerse students in francophone cultures
- Keys to designing culminating performance tasks according to students' levels
- Powerful approaches designed to help you best organize and structure your French classroom
- Practical ways to scaffold instruction across levels, even in split-level French classes
- Effective ways to create French instructional activities that incorporate one, two or all three modes of communication
- Numerous comprehensible input strategies to increase students' success and proficiency in French
- The best online tools and platforms perfect for your French language program
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – innovative activities to leverage the use of French music, ways to deepen and enrich your French students' engagement, how to promote presentational and interpersonal writing skills, thematic vocabulary lists to support your instructional units, and more!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It's never been a more exciting time to be a French teacher! With so many authentic resources available at the click of a mouse, we can fill our French programs with music, videos, films, ads, articles, current events, literature, art, and more from across the French speaking world. But, keeping up with the latest "série," the most appealing "tube," and trying to fit in grammar and culture can be, quite frankly, overwhelming! How do you keep up with the "paperasse" and tame the online translation tools, while delivering quality French instructional units? You may also be wondering how to do all of this in distance or hybrid learning formats. The good news is that I can help!
How you structure your French program, your courses and your curriculum can make the difference between going under, staying afloat, and moving forward with great success. In this workshop, we will dive deep into outstanding practices specifically designed to strengthen your students' proficiency in French! We will explore practical ways to maximize the impact of your French language instruction. You will learn how to best utilize authentic resources to enrich your students' global awareness and their language acquisition. I will show you how scaffolding your instructional units will greatly enhance all aspects of your current program and help you provide the best learning experience for your French language students.
Whether you are a new French teacher, highly experienced, or anywhere in between, you will gain many outstanding ideas for taking your French instruction to the next level. I invite you to join me for a lively day filled with practical ways to enhance your instruction and strengthen your students' proficiency in French.
I look forward to spending the day with you!
P.S. Whether you're teaching in-person, hybrid, or virtually, you will gain practical strategies that will engage your students and accelerate their French language acquisition.
Who Should Attend
for Educators Teaching French at Middle School and High School Levels
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive French Language Teaching Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies and techniques for enhancing your French program – whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Descriptions of the activities presented with directions for adapting to task or level
- Templates for creating French instructional units, rubrics, and reflective tools
- Examples of rubrics and scoring guides for performance assessments
- An extensive collection of authentic French materials, sources, and thematic vocabulary
- Curated resources for your continued professional development
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their French language instructional program
Margaret Schmidt will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own French program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now