This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
RESTORATIVE DISCIPLINE: Help Your Students Improve Their Behavior and Strengthen Their Learning
Presented by Bruce Stewart
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Practical methods to minimize disruptive behavior and help students learn essential emotional and social skills in-person and in distance learning environments
- Restorative discipline methods to build a more productive learning environment through positive relationships and high-quality instruction
- Practical ideas for effectively using a restorative mindset approach to create a more nurturing and positive learning environment for all students
- Innovative restorative techniques to improve students' academic success while building interpersonal skills
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you often frustrated by student disruptions, typically caused by misbehavior, attention seeking antics, or conflict? Have you felt discouraged due to disrespectful student behavior that only seems to get worse? Have you found that despite your best efforts some strategies seem to work but only for a very brief period? There is a solution to these negative dynamics that frustrate both teachers and students. Thousands of schools across the country have discovered that Restorative Discipline works because of its positive and enduring nature.
In this NEW seminar, you'll learn numerous practical strategies, methods, and ideas based on a Restorative Discipline approach. You'll learn proven ways to restore the real joy of teaching and facilitate greater academic success and emotional growth. You'll learn proven ways you can use restorative discipline to teach students whether in-person or online how to restore relationships, build healthier self-images and become more responsible students.
You'll leave this seminar with an extensive digital resource handbook, a more positive attitude, an abundance of ideas for utilizing a restorative discipline approach and a renewed desire to make a difference in the lives of even your most challenging students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate Restorative Discipline Practices that Switch the Emphasis from Punishment to Restoring Relationships
Learn proven strategies for using mistakes in behavior as an opportunity for students to learn how to focus on more positive, productive behaviors in the future … Practical ideas for in-person and online learning environments
- Minimize Disruptive Student Misbehaviors
Using restorative discipline strategies, student misbehavior can be significantly reduced … Here's how
- Improve Your Students' Behavior and Strengthen Their Learning
Learn classroom-tested restorative discipline strategies to help students improve their behavior and strengthen their learning
- Help Students Be More Responsible
Learn powerful verbal skills and strategies to teach students how to better resolve disagreements, demonstrate greater empathy, and take full responsibility for their behavior
- Build Greater Trust and Respect
Learn proven techniques to build greater trust and respect with your students whether in-person or online
- Help Students Feel More Connected
Discover innovative ways to use restorative discipline practices to develop a greater sense of belonging for all students
- Respond Effectively to Conflict Situations
Learn the most effective restorative techniques that deescalate potential conflicts
- Engage Apathetic Students Quickly Without a Struggle
Discover proven ways restorative discipline strategies can positively engage even the most apathetic students
- Incorporate Constructive, Restorative Alternatives to Suspension and Expulsion
Learn how to create a restorative mindset that focuses on keeping, making and building peace by shifting the focus from rules to relationships … Proven ideas for in-person and online learning environments
- Receive a Comprehensive Restorative Discipline Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive digital Restorative Discipline handbook filled with techniques, strategies, activities discussed in this seminar, and more
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective restorative discipline methods to minimize disruptive behavior, creating more instructional time in-person, online and in hybrid learning environments
- How to eliminate power struggles using proven preventative methods
- How to view misbehaviors and conflicts as "teachable moments"
- How to significantly reduce student referrals, leading to greater student achievement
- Powerful restorative discipline strategies that ensure social justice and equity for all students
- Verbal skills that help students own their behavior, express empathy, and minimize conflict
- Strategies to build positive relationships between students and educators creating harmony within the classroom
- How to strengthen student learning by teaching self-regulation skills
- How to more effectively engage apathetic and unmotivated students using restorative discipline practices and strategies
- Proven procedures for students in-person and online of all ages that promote self-regulation, friendship, and classroom harmony
- Preventative strategies that dramatically reduce the rates of suspension and expulsion while creating a positive school-wide culture
- Outstanding strategies to seamlessly integrate restorative discipline into your teaching style, grade level, or subject area to increase your joy of teaching
- Proven methods, language and action to promote empathy in students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome you to the Restorative Discipline: Help Your Students Improve Their Behavior and Strengthen Their Learning seminar. Today's educators face significant challenges that require unparalleled skills, methods, and strategies to inspire and educate all students.
Traditional disciplinary practices have been proven to undermine even the best efforts of teachers and principals. Restorative discipline is effective for the very reason that traditional disciplinary practices have failed. Restorative discipline always maintains the dignity of the student. On the other hand, punishment and shaming only serve to create antagonistic relationships. These practices are demeaning and foster resentment. Restorative Discipline embodies the philosophy that students deserve to learn from their mistakes without shame.
When we provide for a student's most basic need, which is to feel a sense of belonging in the classroom, and in the school, only then can we fully engage them in a relevant curriculum. Restorative disciplinary methods include making amends for mistakes in student behavior. Students learn that by making amends – restoring trust in their classmates and teachers, they have made a positive contribution to the class. They maintain a sense of belonging and they increase their self-awareness. Our students' potential is limitless – our responsibility then is to inspire and facilitate our students to believe in themselves. Restorative discipline "gives life to every student's learning experience."
At this seminar you will learn the methods, strategies, and specific techniques that really work. Even the most disrespectful students and the most apathetic students will learn to modify their disruptive behaviors. Whether you are in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
Bruce J. Stewart
P.S. Your presence at this seminar defines your dedication to the art and science of teaching; but most importantly, it serves your belief that every student deserves to succeed.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies to transform your discipline system to restorative practices that foster emotional growth and academic success
- Effective verbal skills to communicate compassion and caring to connect with all students and nurture a positive classroom environment
- Clear steps for helping students give up the victim stance and take personal responsibility for their choices and actions
- A wealth of valuable information, including classroom management strategies, methods for engaging all students, using constructive feedback to engage unmotivated students, and much more
Your instructors will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.