This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
What's NEW in YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE and How to Use It In Your Program (Grades 6-12) -- 2021--
Presented by Karen Scott
Specifically Designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
- A comprehensive overview of the best, new books for young adults published in the past year … Proven ideas for in-person and distance learning environments
- Practical, ready-to-use ideas for selecting and utilizing the best, new young adult literature across your curriculum whether at school or online
- Learn about new nonfiction titles that support your state standards for using informational text with students
- An extensive young adult literature digital resource handbook filled with annotated booklists, ready-to-use ideas, themes, activities, and more valuable and practical ideas
Practical Ideas and Strategies
n this outstanding seminar, You will learn about the best, NEW books for young adults, all of which have just recently been published. This unique seminar will go beyond familiarizing you with the best of the newly published titles to share practical strategies for using these outstanding books in your classroom or library. You will receive practical ideas for in class as well as for online and hybrid teaching environments.
This fast-paced day will be filled with great, new books, innovative and creative ideas, enthusiasm, exciting curriculum connections, and news about authors that are all too good for young adults to miss.
All participants will leave with extensive annotated bibliographies in a comprehensive digital resource handbook full of outstanding ideas that you can immediately put to use to motivate and inspire your young adult readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Young Adult Books
Thousands of new books for young adults are published annually … Learn about the BEST of the most recently published young adult books and which upcoming books you should be on the lookout for
Incorporate the Best, New Books into Your Classroom or Library Curriculum
Learn innovative strategies for utilizing the best, new books for young adults to enhance content instruction as well as your library program both at school and online
Discover the Best Realistic Fiction Novels for Teens
One of the fastest growing genres in young adult literature is realistic fiction … Hear about popular new titles and receive a listing of topics covered to share with students
Engage Reluctant Teen Readers with Fast-Paced Titles
Find out which new titles will captivate the interest of your reluctant teen readers
- Web 2.0 … Connecting Books and Technology
Get students reading by using Web 2.0 tools such as podcasts to introduce the best young adult books to your classes … Discover practical ways to use QR codes to promote titles; Discover ways to use Instagram and Twitter to promote new books with your students … Proven ideas for in-person and distance learning environments
- Utilize Graphic Novels and Audiobooks to Improve Students’ Comprehension
Motivate readers of all abilities to improve their reading skills and comprehension with a list of newly published graphic novels and audiobooks that best support your state standards and can be used to encourage reading in classrooms
- Encourage All Students to Read Diverse Books
Learn about new titles of diverse books to motivate and encourage readers to broaden their world perspectives in our global society
- New Ideas for Getting Teens to Talk About Books
Research shows teens are influenced by peer book recommendations … Get fresh ideas to encourage students to talk about books with each other, in classrooms and on social media
- Discover Current Trends in Young Adult Literature
Find out what is happening in the teen publishing world and how you can connect with top-notch online resources and the hot topics authors are writing about
- Receive a Valuable Young Adult Literature Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a digital resource handbook filled with extensive alphabetized and a genre-oriented bibliography and ready-to-use activities and resources you can use in-person and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical ideas, tips and suggestions for incorporating relevant teen books across all content areas for grades 6-12 … Proven ideas for in-person, online and hybrid learning environments
- The best, NEW literature to use with teens and to recommend to teens
- New titles by authors who have proven their popularity with teens … Gain ideas to tie these titles to the curriculum
- How to find "clean reads" for your students … Get a list of the 2020 "clean reads" and learn the web resources that will help identify possible issues in specific teen titles
- What's new in a variety of genres
- Debut authors teens don't want to miss
- Excellent novels to use in teaching young adults in the classroom or library
- Practical lesson ideas that work with almost any book
- Best online resources for keeping current with young adult titles and ways you can get access to not yet published books
- Extensive lists and annotated bibliographies of authors and titles in a variety of genres
- Non-fiction titles that support state standards for informational text
- Innovative strategies and ideas for outstanding book talks by adults and teens
- The best new books to motivate reluctant readers
- The best new realistic fiction titles to share with teens
- How to get the most for your money when purchasing young adult books and in your virtual collection
- The diverse titles you need to have on your shelf
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I understand the importance of reading. I all know readers are much more successful in school and on standardized achievement tests. More importantly, readers can see themselves in the situations and in the characters of books. Books allow readers to experience both a window and a mirror into their worlds. Publishers produce an enormous and often overwhelming number of books each year. I know how challenging it can be to keep up with all those titles and that's why I'm here to help. I read extensively in all genres and will share with you the best books in those genres.
I will also discuss ways to use the best books with classrooms and students. I will combine reading with the best websites and apps you can use to engage all of your readers and learners. Building a culture of reading occurs when were are passionate about reading and can engage students with current and relevant titles. Our ultimate goal is to hook students on reading and my belief is it can happen with just the right book. I will share a diverse list of books to encourage reading and help you put just the right book in the hands of your students.
I cannot wait to spend the day with you sharing fabulous new titles already published and books you should be looking forward to. This day is about readers and doing what I love – exploring amazing books! Whether you are teaching in person, online or in a hybrid learning environment you leave with ideas and resources you can use immediately.
P.S. Come prepared for a fast-paced, fun-filled day surrounded by the best new books!
Who Should Attend
Specifically designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Young Adult Literature Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use activities and resources so that you can immediately utilize the best, new books for teens in your program
- Extensive topic and subject oriented annotated bibliographies along with review sources
- Book-sharing ideas and resources
- Websites that enhance the reading experience for teens and keep you up-to-date
Karen Scott will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.