Increasing Students' Mindfulness, Perseverance and Motivation Using Exemplary Children's Literature (Grades K-6)
Presented by Jennifer Medina
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, School Librarians, School Library Paraprofessionals, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Innovative ways to utilize exemplary children's literature to improve academic success, develop mindfulness, and increase positive classroom behaviors
- Practical ideas to increase the academic success of all students whether working with students in-person or online
- Increase students' mindfulness, perseverance and motivation
- Fun and educational activities for keeping struggling students motivated and engaged in reading and writing
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW seminar, you will have the opportunity to explore how to enhance students' mindfulness, perseverance and motivation through exemplary children's literature using strategies designed for both in-person and online teaching. In the process, you'll also accelerate your students' reading and writing skills.
Jennifer Benedict Medina will share dozens of practical strategies and engaging hands-on lessons to address your students' mindfulness, perseverance and motivation. You will receive resources and extensive children's literature book lists to build your students' ability to be mindful, increase their motivation and develop stronger perseverance skills. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook full of creative and engaging activities to increase social and academic development in your classroom.
If you are looking for creative, high interest, effective, and easily implemented strategies to engage and accelerate literacy and community in your class while increasing the mindfulness, perseverance and motivation of your students, this seminar is for you.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Maximize Learning with Mindfulness Activities
Implement innovative strategies to increase mindfulness and strengthen your students' ability to persevere whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Utilize Children's Literature to Strengthen Your Students' Literacy Skills
Use engaging books to develop and strengthen your students' literacy skills
- Motivate the Diverse Students in Your Classroom
Enhance your instruction to maximize learning and motivation for all students … Discover innovative ways to address the needs of your students from struggling readers to accelerated
- Develop an Inclusive Classroom
Create opportunities both in class and online for students to interact with exemplary literature and writing to teach kindness, community, compassion and perseverance
- Inspirational Children's Literature to Hook All Readers
Motivate students by introducing them to a wide variety of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and biographies … New lists of books that hook readers of all ages
- Create a Community of Authors in the Classroom
Increase literacy by creating student, teacher and class written books to build home and classroom libraries to create friendships, deepen relationships and strengthen literacy skills
- Children's Books to Increase Academic Success
Explore countless exemplary children's literature titles that pique students' interests and builds on their strengths … Connect with students and families through books proven to increase academic success
- Address Your Students' Socio-Emotional and Behavioral Needs through Mindfulness
Learn how to use exemplary children's literature to help you improve the academic, social, emotional, and behavioral progress of your students
- Books to Reflect the Diversity of Your Students
Learn from a highly experienced educator in the field of education and children's literature … Help your students find books that reflect who they are and their life experiences
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive digital Resource Handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons and useful resources you can immediately use with your students whether you are working with them in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective ways to increasing students' mindfulness and perseverance using exemplary children's literature
- Engaging and relevant instructional strategies that increase student interest and motivation whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Practical approaches to generate more time-on-task and inspire students to persevere and strive for excellence in their work and behaviors
- Specific techniques to make sure students are active participants and not passive onlookers
- Research-based information to help you understand what motivates students to give their best efforts
- How to create a culture of accountability with effective ways to increase students' intrinsic motivation
- Ready-to-use tech and non-tech resources to strengthen resolve, grit and perseverance
- Specific writing strategies using exemplary children's literature to build "Can do!" attitudes in your students
- Dozens of strategies to implement immediately that motivate students to persevere
- Best instructional strategies for increasing mindfulness through reading and writing
- Practical approaches to increase students' "grit" – their engagement in the learning process and their ability to persevere
- Hands-on writing and bookmaking activities that address mindfulness, motivation and perseverance that you can use with your students whether you're working in-person or online
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Every educator – whether it's your first year or you count your experience in decades – knows that motivating students, increasing their mindfulness, and strengthening their perseverance are among the biggest challenges we face today. As a teacher, I have always been motivated by exemplary children's literature. Good stories serve as the foundation to build mindfulness, perseverance and motivation. These important skills – perfect for in-person or online teaching – are the focus of my new seminar.
Very early on I began my own journey in not only understanding the complex theories and research behind mindfulness, perseverance and motivation but my passion became how to teach these critical life skills through children's literature. Over time I also began to see how easily I could strengthen the resolve of my students and improve their attitudes toward learning. From my students who struggled with learning to my higher performing students who struggle with perseverance, I saw the power exemplary children's literature had on the development of these skills in all students.
I encourage you to join me in this highly interactive one-day seminar that shows how exemplary children's literature can be the catalyst for increased student motivation. The day is packed with realistic ideas and strategies that can be easily implemented into the fast and furious online or in-person teaching day. I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm, experience and ideas with you so that you, in turn, can create in each of your students the mindfulness, perseverance and motivation they need to be successful!
Jennifer Benedict Medina
P.S. If you want to add to your toolkit for motivating your students and you love children's literature, then join me for a day filled with creative, hands-on, "ready-to-use" activities that re-energize students!
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, School Librarians, School Library Paraprofessionals, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Seminars
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Extensive Book Lists that address academic and socio-emotional needs in the classroom
- Suggestions for using children's literature as a motivational and foundational base for academic development
- Strategies and activities to engage students with a wide variety of reading, language and academic levels whether teaching in-person or virtually
- Techniques to increase students' mindfulness, perseverance and motivation
Jennifer Benedict Medina will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now