DISTANCE LEARNING: Strengthening Your Online Instruction with SECOND GRADE STUDENTS
Presented by Kelly Harmon
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Second Grade: Classroom Teachers, Technology Integration Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical, innovative ways to accelerate the learning of your Second Grade students while teaching online
- Timesaving ways to organize the distance learning cycle … Create authentic use of technology, increase collaboration, assign, and provide feedback, all while maintaining your sanity
- Specific ways to develop relationships, routines, and systems that promote learning and reduce the stress of learning in a virtual setting … Strengthen your blended learning environment
- Receive an extensive digital Second Grade resource handbook and access to Kelly's online resources packed full of timesaving ideas, tips, tools, and proven strategies to practically and successfully complete distance learning lessons with student engagement at the core
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW strategy-packed seminar by Kelly Harmon, an international educational consultant with 30 years of experience working with primary students, you will discover how to empower learning for your Second Graders using the most effective, cutting-edge, distance learning instructional strategies. You will learn dozens of ideas for working with all Second Graders, from struggling to high performing, along with ways to continually monitor and adjust instruction based on student results. You will leave this outstanding seminar with renewed enthusiasm for teaching and learning as well as a wealth of ideas for innovating the learning opportunities for your Second Grade students and ideas for partnering with parents.
Join Kelly for a fast-paced day packed with the best research-based and classroom tested strategies that harness the power of technology and bring learning to life! You will walk away not only with an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, easy-to-implement strategies, but access to Kelly's online resources designed specifically for Second Grade. While the day will focus on the practical strategies that work during distance learning, you will quickly see they will increase student engagement and can be applied to in-person classroom communities as well.
No matter your experience level with distance learning or these powerful tools, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of practical, use-tomorrow ideas.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Strategies for Explicit Teaching of Routines and Expectations
Not sure how to engage Second Graders in digital learning? … Learn more about how to fully use Google Classroom to transfer the important routines and classroom management strategies from your in-person classroom to your virtual setting
- Increase Student Engagement
Encourage students to become a part of the learning process by utilizing Ed Tech tools such as Google apps, Peardeck, Flipgrid, Ideazboard, Mentimeter and many more to help engage Second Graders and foster a deeper understanding of classroom content
- Asynchronous and Synchronous Learning – How to Tap Into the Benefits of Both
Struggling with balancing the demands of distance learning? Kelly will share strategies for tapping into the strengths of both
- Develop Digital Lessons for Immediate Implementation
Leave this seminar with dozens of digital tools ready for immediate implementation with your Second Graders … Learn what to include and how to record your mini lessons, make the best use of flipped instruction, and fully realize the power of blended learning
- Social and Emotional Learning for Better Behavior and Learning
Learn the next steps in helping Second Graders manage this new, online environment and make responsible decisions … How to significantly reduce behavior issues
- Create Interactive Slides Through Student Collaboration
Explore the different ways to utilize Google Slides, using collaboration, hyperlinks, bitmojis and more! Your Second Graders will love these strategies
- New Curriculum Integration Strategies to Improve Student Achievement in Less Time
Timesaving, easy-to-use integration techniques … Use of mentor texts, strategic reading groups and multi-modal text sets to make connections and strengthen your Second Graders' skills
- Strengthen All Academic Skills
How to accelerate your Second Graders' decoding, spelling, comprehension, writing, speaking and listening skills … Maximize your students' conceptual understanding and fluency in math
- More Authentically Utilize Student Choice to Elevate and Maximize Students' Strategic Thinking
Harness the power of student choice through self-selected study topics and games for deepening understanding and developing fluency
- Receive an Extensive DIGITAL Distance Learning Resource Handbook and Special Online Access
Each participant will receive an extensive DIGITAL Second Grade resource handbook that includes detailed descriptions and practical classroom applications of each of the Google and Tech Tools presented … Receive access to Kelly's specially created Google Resource Folder, containing helpful online resources and tutorials perfect for use with your Second Graders
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to strengthen your learning environment into a novel, safe space to maximize learning
- The best digital tools to support student engagement
- Use quick formative assessments that allow you to take action quickly and close the daily learning gap
- How to use video making to demonstrate and develop student thinking in all content areas
- Quick and effective ways to support collaboration among students
- Utilize Google Suite, Zoom and other digital tools as an advanced user or a beginner
- Use quick, easy-to-use tech strategies to activate prior knowledge and get second graders thinking critically about topics
- Develop digital lessons for immediate implementation
- A plethora of ways to differentiate instruction
- Valuable ways to maximize student voice, engagement, and learning in this new virtual world
- The newest tools in digital learning and how they can enhance your lesson design
- Teach the critical thinking skills – observing, describing, classifying, and identifying similarities and differences
- Strategies to support technology integration in both traditional and virtual settings
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Twenty-nine years ago, when my career began home computers were not a thing let alone the idea of a virtual classroom. So much has changed in the last three decades. As a new teacher when faced with a challenge I had yet to encounter, I resolved to learn everything I could about how to reach and teach every child through creative, meaningful, and fun experiences that capture students' interests and curiosity. Today is no different.
Over the last 10 years, I have been using use iPads, Chromebooks, Google Classroom, YouTube, gaming apps and more in effective ways that get beyond surface level learning. Four years ago, I started teaching virtually using Zoom or Google Meets. I will share how to maximize the hardware and software you have, including what I've learned from missteps and mistakes.
There is no doubt COVID-19 has brought significant changes to our classroom. What it hasn't changed is our resolve to serve our students well and to employ every tool we have to keep their learning going. I understand the challenges you are facing. As a teacher and instructional coach working with primary grade students, I have learned and refined dozens of innovative, research-based strategies and techniques for accelerating student learning in the online environment. My goal for this day is to demonstrate the best-of-the-best of these exemplary activities and ideas with you.
During our day together, we will cover dozens of distance learning strategies, ideas and activities you can use to teach in ways that will make a significant difference for your Second Graders:
- A wealth of highly effective, timesaving strategies for refining your learner-centered virtual classroom
- Outstanding ideas, ready-to-use activities and a variety of resources for assessing and teaching in innovative ways across the curriculum
- Ideas for integrating technology that saves time and deepens learning – rather than adding another layer to our already full plates
I am truly excited to offer dozens of ideas, resources, tips, and suggestions you can implement immediately. Please join me for a jam-packed day of creative, fun learning experiences that promise to increase all your students' achievement in Second Grade and lessen your workload.
P.S. You will learn dozens of specific instructional strategies you can use to greatly increase the success of your Second Grade virtual classroom and will leave with an extensive digital resource handbook as well as Kelly's online resources!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Second Grade: Classroom Teachers, Technology Integration Specialists, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Second Grade Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- New, classroom‐tested methods that increase Second Graders' math, science, reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills while learning online
- Current, innovative strategies for developing a student-centered culture in a virtual environment where Second Graders love to learn
- Dozens of digital resources to make distance learning easier
- Tools, tips, and tricks for video making in the classroom
Kelly Harmon will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now