This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Strengthening Your Effectiveness as a Special Education Resource Teacher
Presented by Kathy Morris
Specifically Designed for Special Education Resource Teachers, Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Special Education Department Heads, and Instructional Coaches who Support Students with Special Needs
- Expand your expertise as a special education resource teacher
- Learn new ways to better implement multi-level instruction and differentiated intervention
- Help your students learn to self-regulate and decrease misbehavior with classroom-tested strategies
- Practical activities and approaches to meeting the needs of students with special needs
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Working as a special education resource teacher is becoming ever more challenging as responsibilities increase for content, process, product, collaboration, and now … potentially doing it all in an online environment. In this NEW seminar, you will receive dozens of classroom-tested interventions and practical strategies that will help you with the challenges you face in meeting the needs of your students.
Join Kathy Morris, a longtime special education teacher and practitioner, for a day filled with ready-to-use ideas and strategies that will help you make an immediate difference for your students with special needs. You will not want to miss this interactive seminar that will leave you with a greater sense of confidence and a host of new ideas you can implement in your special education resource specialist program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Maximize Your Role as a Resource Teacher for Students with Special Needs
Strengthen your practice with process, content and products that will work in variety of settings and for students with all levels of cognitive functioning
- Gain Valuable Resources That Support Specially Designed Instruction
Explore Kathy’s website resources that provide creatively designed Social Stories, Power Cards, Checklists, Keychain Rules, SOCCSS, T-charts, and so much more!
- Increase Your Students’ Engagement
Whether teaching virtually or in the classroom, learn from Kathy’s modeling of activities to increase student engagement … Use immediately when you return to school
- Boost Your Effectiveness in Helping Teachers with Modifications, Accommodations, and Interventions
Increase your knowledge base of ideas and strategies to help general education teachers fulfill the modifications, accommodations and interventions recommended by the IEP
- Strategies to Jumpstart Your Students’ Metacognitive Functions
Find out how you can easily influence your students toward better metacognitive skills … Improve your students’ goal setting and planning to become more engaged and independent learners
- Simple and Effective Ways to Teach Self-Regulation … Strategies That Work
Learn valuable ways to increase your students’ self-regulation and decrease behavior breakdowns
- Decrease Behavior Problems
Decrease behavior problems that arise with your more challenging students … Learn how to prevent meltdowns and teach prevention, intervention, and post-intervention skills
- Improve the Achievement of Your Students with Special Needs
Incorporate highly effective multi-level instruction techniques to better meet the needs of all your students
- Implement More Effective Social-Emotional Instruction
You do not need to be a counselor or intervention specialist to share these strategies for supporting students with emotional challenges … Be equipped to share these strategies with general education teachers
- Receive an Extensive Special Education Resource Teacher Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive Special Education Resource Teacher handbook specifically designed to provide practical tips, strategies, and techniques for your Special Education Resource instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical and doable strategies that incorporate visual strengths and resources to scaffold positive behavior
- Highly effective differentiated instruction techniques you can easily share with general education teachers
- Powerful decision-making tool for least restrictive environment determination
- Dozens of helpful strategies that enhance your students’ metacognitive development
- Valuable self-regulation tools and resources
- Technology tips and resources
- Highly effective classroom-tested visual strategies to increase students’ attention and engagement
- Powerful approaches for implementing multi-level instruction
- Engaging activities that increase learning and achievement
- Outstanding websites for valuable free resources
- Checklists and tools for more positive interventions and documentation
- How to better recognize tantrums vs. meltdowns and apply more effective responses for your special needs students
- Proven strategies to reduce anxiety and increase engagement
- Differentiation and metacognitive strategies to increase success of all students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I wish I knew then what I know now! As a special education resource teacher, there is a world wide web of knowledge and information out there about how the brain works, strategies that address metacognition as well as self-regulation, and an array of research about how persons with autism, learning disabilities, ADHD, and other children and adolescents with disabilities learn. How do you sift through the theory and find nuggets of instructional practices that work for the special needs students and their families who count on you to deliver? As I look back, some of these strategies I implemented unwittingly. But there is so much more information that we have learned in the last 10 years, and I have brought it down to a one-day seminar that focuses on the strategies, techniques, and ideas you can implement immediately in your classroom.
My goal for this seminar is to share this information with you in a lively, interactive day filled with modeling, demonstration, discussion, and visuals. I will provide very practical strategies that you can implement in your resource setting, specialized setting or general education classroom.
In this seminar, designed for inclusive and special education settings, you will learn how to recognize executive functioning deficits and how they can inhibit learning, along with a toolbox of practical strategies for helping these students get organized, stay focused for longer periods of time and be more successful in school. Strategies in self-awareness, work completion, task initiation, planning, and organizing, will all be shared as well as ideas for impulse control, motivation, self-regulation and more! Differentiated instruction will be emphasized to help you ensure each student’s needs are individualized.
I hope you will join me to gain valuable tools to support your students’ success in school, both academically and socially. Come and learn new strategies and interventions that will make a significant difference for all of your students.
P.S. By attending this seminar, you will receive an extensive resource handbook I designed specifically for special education resource teachers. You will leave with a multitude of resources ready to use immediately.
Who Should Attend
Special Education Resource Teachers, Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Special Education Department Heads, and Instructional Coaches who support students with special needs
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical ideas and strategies for teaching special needs students whether in a resource room or general education classroom
- Tools and resources for more effective collaboration for special needs students’ success
- Examples of Specially Designed Instruction and intervention
- Activities and strategies you can apply immediately in your classroom
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their effectiveness as special education resource teachers.
Kathy Morris will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.