Powerful Early Intervention Strategies to Help Young Children with Developmental Problems and Challenging Behaviors (Preschool-Kindergarten)
Presented by John Pagano
Designed specifically for Educators and Therapists Serving Children In Preschool and Kindergarten: Classroom Teachers, Preschool Staff, Special Education Staff, Occupational Therapists, Speech‑Language Pathologists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
- Dozens of highly practical strategies to improve the attention, behavior and social skills of young children with developmental delays and challenging behaviors
- Practical strategies to promote team efforts in teaching between regular education, special education, OT, speech, school psychologists, social workers, and behavioral specialists
- Proven, proactive, positive management techniques using movement activities to maximize learning and minimize tantrums, disruptions and distractions
- Demonstrations, intervention videos, and hands-on activities with ready‑to‑go forms for immediate use in your classroom, plus an extensive resource handbook
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Young children are increasingly demonstrating a combination of developmental, behavioral, mental health, and sensory integration disabilities. How can we, as teachers and therapists, effectively identify, understand and address these combined challenges in order to maximize learning for students with special needs? In this cutting‑edge seminar, JOHN PAGANO will share a wealth of practical strategies that simultaneously address the uniquely combined developmental, behavioral and sensory integration challenges of young children. Using humor, demonstrations and video clips of his work with preschool and kindergarten students in a variety of settings, John will share successful strategies for improving the behavior, sensory integration, learning, and developmental skills of these children and he will present easy‑to‑administer assessments that will help you address the specific behavioral and sensory integration challenges of young children with special needs.
In addition, you will receive ready‑to‑implement ideas to organize your classroom or therapy sessions, manage and reduce aggressive behaviors and implement practical sensory integration techniques. You will leave this outstanding seminar with dozens of practical ideas and strategies to help your students make significant gains in their behavior, sensory processing and learning skills.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Achieve Success with Your Most Challenging Young Students
Learn how to implement practical, research‑based strategies that enable students to focus on learning … Explore behavioral and sensory processing techniques that work especially well for students with a wide variety of special needs, from ADHD to autism
- Learn Strategies to Increase Positive Behavior and Social Skills
Classroom‑proven techniques to guide your students’ compliant behavior from the first day of school or therapy using integrated behavioral, brain-based sensory integration, mindfulness and movement activities
- Engage Young Children with Special Needs in Active Learning
How to use creative strategies, developmentally sequential activities, and effective environmental adaptations to enhance your teaching or therapy time … Techniques to make the most of every activity you do with your students
- Help Your Students Develop Self‑Control
Step‑by‑step demonstrations for using routine‑embedded activities in a variety of settings to promote the development of attention, self‑control, social skills, and sensory processing skills of young students with special needs
- Use the Best Instructional Strategies for Each Child
Learn practical, efficient ways to determine the impact of children’s cognitive, behavioral, sensory processing, visual‑perceptual, and fine motor skills on their ability to learn … How to design the best teaching and therapy approaches based on this information
- Increase Participation in Learning Activities
Key steps for improving the attention span, sensory integration, motor planning, and learning abilities of young students with special needs … Best methods for using adaptive equipment and environmental modifications to enhance learning
- Provide the Best Start for Learning
Support all your learners using proven, research‑based practices to establish a therapy or classroom environment in which all children can thrive … How to prevent behavior problems and meet the needs of children with atypical learning styles in your classroom
- Teach Drawing and Printing to Children Who Can’t Sit Still
Discover multi‑sensory strategies to develop the emerging graphomotor skills of young children with special needs … Practical, classroom‑proven ideas that work
- Gain Meaningful Support from Parents
Powerful strategies to develop positive team relationships with parents … How to support parents who demonstrate serious challenges … Step‑by‑step techniques to minimize the impact of family crisis on a child’s learning
- Ideas, Ideas and More Ideas!
Demonstrations, songs, stories, art, puppets, and games that improve attention, self‑control, behavior, and sensory processing skills of young children … Video footage of case studies, environmental adaptations and dozens of interventions to enhance your teaching or therapy program (You will receive an extensive resource handbook)
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to implement practical, research‑based movement strategies that enable students to focus on learning
- Specific positive behavioral support strategies to prevent and reduce aggressive behavior
- Classroom‑proven techniques to guide your students’ successful behavior from the first day of school or therapy
- Proven strategies for using brief routine‑embedded movement breaks to promote self-control, sensory processing and social skills
- A wealth of activities to help young children appropriately manage their strong feelings
- How to use songs and games to improve your students’ attention, behavior and self‑control
- The keys to encouraging and supporting appropriate participation in classroom and therapy learning activities
- Dozens of innovative ways for making the most of every activity you do with your students
- Powerful strategies to develop positive team relationships with parents
- Step‑by‑step techniques to minimize the impact of family crisis on a child’s learning
- Effective ways for using developmentally appropriate physical, visual and verbal prompts to teach young children
- Activities, ideas and effective games to promote children’s self-control, initiative and attachment
- Numerous practical and ready‑to‑use activities that teach direction-following and movement‑planning skills
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Understanding the special needs of young children with developmental, behavioral and sensory integration challenges and enhancing their skills to learn is a common goal of both teachers and therapists. However, when we are faced with a growing number of children who demonstrate a combination of these challenges, our job can often seem overwhelming. This seminar is designed to help you identify, understand and address these combined challenges in order to maximize learning for young children with special needs.
During the day I will give you a wealth of practical strategies that you can implement immediately in your own classroom or therapy program. The ideas I will share are classroom‑proven, based on recent research and highly effective in improving the attention, behavior and social skills of young children with developmental disabilities and challenging behaviors. I have used many of these strategies on a daily basis in my work with countless students over the past twenty‑five years.
I will give you powerful ways to help your students develop self‑control, reduce their aggressive behavior, manage their strong feelings, participate appropriately in learning activities, increase their attention span, and improve their ability to take appropriate initiative.
With the support of video demonstrations, hands‑on examples, songs, games, and innovative learning activities, I will give you practical, step‑by‑step ideas to greatly enhance your success in working with young children with developmental, behavioral and sensory integration challenges.
Please join me for an exciting day filled with ideas you can use immediately.
John Pagano, PhD, OTR/L
P.S. Again, the focus of our day together will not be on theory but on practical strategies and ideas that are classroom‑proven.
Who Should Attend
Educators and Therapists Serving Children In Preschool and Kindergarten: Classroom Teachers, Preschool Staff, Special Education Staff, Occupational Therapists, Speech‑Language Pathologists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Specific activities, strategies and ideas to improve young children’s attention and behavior
- Proven techniques to encourage and support appropriate participation in classroom and therapy activities
ASHA - CEUs
This course is offered for 0.50 ASHA CEUs per day (Intermediate level, Professional area).
ASHA-Required Disclosure Statement for John Pagano:
Presenter for the Bureau of Education & Research and receives honorarium compensation.
ASHA CEU Administrator for the Bureau of Education & Research for which he receives compensation.
No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now