SCHOOL NURSES: Best Strategies for Success During School Medical Emergencies
Presented by Sandra Moritz
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators serving grades K-12
- Respond as first responders on the frontline at school … Update your protocols to fit this evolving role
- Receive training resources outside the “school nurse bubble”... Be proactive in your roles as the emergency provider in schools
- Examine emergencies through school nurse rounds ... “Assess the best” with new information on anaphylaxis, cardiac, respiratory conditions and urgent injuries … Include key supplies in multiple locations for mass casualty and individual events
- Utilize lessons from the “real life” events of school colleagues ... Examine lessons learned from the history of school violence
- Avoid the symptoms of school nurse burnout .... Find your passion in school nursing, connect with peers and our unique nursing choice:
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for current, best practices and evidence to support your school emergency medical interventions, this is a seminar you won’t want to miss! During this intensive, interactive and collaborative seminar, outstanding school nurse of more than 30 years, SANDRA MORITZ, will share dozens of the most current practices, strategies and practical tips to help school nurses become better first responders to medical emergencies in a school setting.
As a school nurse, Sandra can relate to the seriousness of the daily health and medical challenges in your practice. Your ever-changing role as a school nurse will be examined from a perspective of how you can best respond when medical emergencies occur in your school setting. Gain greater confidence in your practice, discover new products that are now available to make daily interventions more effective and become better prepared for the unexpected. Realize your full potential by addressing the stress of your career choice, and learn ways to be more proactive with stress-reducing tips to survive and flourish as today’s school nurse.
You will leave this seminar refreshed and renewed professionally and personally. Your effectiveness will be increased as the first responder in your school to medical emergencies, including lockdowns and evacuations. The evidence-based strategies and tools you’ll gain will give you the confidence you need to be tomorrow’s school nurse!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Examine Recent Medical Emergency Response Plans for School Nurses and Team Members
This is our cornerstone of practice during these stressful situations
- Prepare with First Responder Training Ideas, Generated By Nurse Professional Friends – the EMTs and Paramedics
Incorporate practical training tips that make smoother emergency transfers
- Stop Life-Threatening Bleeding
Use basic tourniquet and compression techniques from the bleeding control class
- Select the Supplies You Need for Your Stock Rescue Medications Cabinet
What, where and how many will be detailed to insure you have what you need for the unexpected emergency
- Take a “Hands-On Tour” of Modern Equipment for the 21st Century Health Office
Examine what we need to keep students prepared for lockdowns, evacuations and daily care
- Use Tabletop Exercises to Prepare You and Your Team for Serious Events
”Walk and talk it through” by reviewing serious scenarios
- Utilize Effective Interviewing Techniques for Traumatized Students
Identify and address early on students with mental health issues including depression and anxiety … Here’s how
- Attend School Nurse Emergency Rounds
Learn from real life-threatening events others have experienced to help you better plan for the unplanned
- Nurture your Passion in School Nursing with Self-Care Techniques
Use humor in the office to develop positive relationships with our most important priority – our students!
- Receive a Detailed School Medical Emergency Digital Resource Handbook Complete with Protocols, Handouts and Forms
Each participant will receive an extensive school medical digital resource handbook full of ready-to-implement materials that will streamline and increase efficiency in your school nursing practice on a daily basis
- The new first aid guidelines for severe bleeding … Gain hands-on training by practicing applying tourniquets, compression dressings and receive a severe bleeding protocol for your practice
- Proven ways to be alert to long haul symptoms in students who have had COVID-19
- The current recommendations from EMS1, Allergy and Asthma Network, Stop the Bleed, NCLEX trainings and more
- Auscultation skills in breath sounds and the acute abdomen … A review and what’s new in assessing common medical conditions which could become emergent
- Current technology in alarms, smart alerts and apps for staff teaching … Ways technology can assist first responders in training and real-time student assistance
- What’s new to stock in your first aid cabinet … Available and secure stock medications and emergency supplies that need to be accessible
- Effective ways to support students with mental health concerns … Elicit information to determine response … Interview with questions that involve student participation and timely interventions
- Discover community liaisons with medical groups and foundations that can add to your knowledge and training resources … Make professional “best friends” with invested groups in the community
- Makeovers for you and your office with laughter, lunch and a brighter office space … School nursing can be stressful and we need to be healthy to help others
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a fellow school nurse and colleague, I understand the unique challenges we face in our changing role as today’s school nurse. We are the first responders in schools, assisting students who need us the most. As a school nurse and health services coordinator of more than 30 years, I can relate to your daily concerns. To stay current in our roles today we must be prepared for the unexpected. As the first set of medical eyes in the school setting, planning for the unplanned is now another function of our role. We must respond quickly with assessment skills and knowledge based on the latest research. My ability to relate to other school nurses gives me a unique opportunity for a great day of sharing, as only one school nurse to another can understand. As your professional colleague, we will explore the current challenges in our career choice of school nursing.
Enjoy a day of sharing with other school nurses who also understand today’s challenges. Learn practical new strategies to keep students safe while in your care. Get the latest information so that you can respond with confidence during the increasingly common school medical emergency. Be prepared for life-threatening situations by creating best practices during evacuations and lockdowns. Take care of yourself so your energies will be ready for our daily challenges. I believe you will leave this seminar refreshed, renewed with professional energy and better prepared to handle the stressors of your job. You will excel as the healthcare provider in your school setting and be confident in your skills as the school nurse! You’ll gain practical information to use immediately in your school nurse setting and an extensive resource handbook written by your professional colleague—another school nurse!
P.S. You will receive an extensive school medical emergency digital resource handbook containing a summary of all the information and resources presented in this seminar.
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators serving grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Strategies, ideas and resources, including the documents, forms, and the best apps and websites to help you better address school medical emergencies
- School health-related references and websites with free and inexpensive resources for your office
- At-your-fingertips reviews, articles and studies which impact your protocols
- Professional, evidence-based strategies to support changes in the nurse’s office
- Concise step-by-step splinting and first aid applications for common injuries
- Checklists to monitor the safe use of unlicensed personnel who help care for students
- Ready-to-use emergency and health care forms to prepare for medical events
- Practical tips on triage and transfers for smoother EMS transitions
- Samples of procedures to make your medical emergency training drills efficient and complete
- Multi-media examples to reinforce your team’s plan of action during lockdowns, evacuations and emergencies
Earn Nursing CEUs
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 15144, for five (5) Contact Hours for RNs and LPNs. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/nursing-ceus.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now