This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
101 Best Strategies for Teaching Social Studies (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Christopher Lange
Specifically Designed forGrades 6-12 History/Social Studies Teachers
- 101 highly effective, practical strategies to strengthen your students’ motivation and achievement in your history/social studies classroom
- Practical lessons, examples and strategies designed to greatly enhance your program, spark curiosity and increase students’ acquisition and application of new content – no matter what social studies courses you teach
- Specific ways to build high-level student engagement and help catch up students who have fallen behind in reading and writing skills as you immerse students in your social studies curriculum
- Receive an extensive social studies resource handbook filled with 101 practical strategies, techniques and ideas that you can use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
How can we best reach and teach our 21st century social studies learners? How can we cover our required content, teach to standards and strengthen students’ reading and writing skills? How can we best prepare our students for the future? And how can we integrate the most powerful and applicable new approaches in our field?
For practical answers and solutions to these questions, join outstanding and innovative social studies teacher, CHRISTOPHER LANGE, as he presents 101 of the best, classroom-tested strategies designed to greatly enhance your social studies program. If you want to increase your students’ acquisition of content and social studies skills in highly engaging ways, this seminar is for you! Each of the strategies and techniques Chris shares can be easily implemented the very next day in your own program. These strategies can also easily be differentiated or scaffolded to meet the needs of your diverse learners.
Join Chris for a high energy, humorous, engaging day of 101 outstanding strategies to strengthen your grades 6-12 history/social studies program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- 101 of the Best Strategies to Greatly Enhance Your Social Studies Program
Discover the best strategies, lessons and activities designed specifically to strengthen your grades 6-12 social studies program … Receive a wealth of outstanding, practical ideas and techniques you can use the very next day – no matter what social studies content you teach
- Build a High-Level Student Engagement Social Studies Program
Experience a wide range of resources, apps and strategies you can use to greatly increase your students’ engagement … Tips and ideas for personalizing your students’ learning
- Help Catch Up Students Who Have Fallen Behind in their Reading and Writing Skills
Discover unique and practical strategies to help catch up students who have fallen behind in reading and writing, ensuring your students develop the skills to succeed in the real world … Easy-to-implement note-taking, summarizing, research, and writing activities
- Implement Problem-Based Learning and Structure Your Units for Student Success
Discover strategies for implementing problem-based learning in social studies to teach research skills and help catch students up on missed content … Ways to incorporate meaningful, inquiry-based learning, develop sophisticated overarching questions, and structure content to revolve around unit goals
- Ignite Your Students’ Passion Through Project Based Learning
Take a new view on PBL and discover innovative strategies that work, no matter what content you teach … Develop exciting new ways to incorporate your content to encourage and motivate your students
- Make Social Studies REAL for Your Students
Discover effective ways to infuse relevant experiences that connect 21st century learners to social studies … Learn effective strategies to elevate your content and help students analyze through inquiry, technology, research, and discovery
- The Best Ways to Use Free Google Tools in Social Studies
Learn practical ways to enhance your content, instruction and students’ learning through a variety of free Google Tools … Enhance your social studies instruction and increase student engagement
- Regain Valuable Time for Where You’re Most Needed
Apply easy-to-implement process-oriented activities that will speed up content acquisition for your students and free up valuable time for you … Discover ways to personalize learning and optimize the impact of your social studies instruction
- Strengthen Your Students’ Collaboration and Analytical Skills
Learn many effective ways to build your students’ historical and analytical thinking skills … Receive engaging and immersive lessons, activities and web-based tools that build collaboration skills as students discover content
- Receive an Extensive Social Studies Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with 101 outstanding strategies designed to greatly enhance your grades 6-12 history/social studies program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- 101 of the best, highly engaging, easy-to-implement strategies to strengthen your social studies program
- Techniques to help catch up students who have fallen behind and strengthen their skills as readers and writers
- New ways to engage your students through interactive project design and technology
- How to use inquiry-driven instruction to design more immersive and connected content units
- Timesaving tips and tricks using free Google resources to enhance your students’ learning
- Specific ways to use Project Based Learning effectively in a variety of content areas
- Classroom-tested strategies and tips to help your students become more efficient readers
- High-interest, high-impact activities, apps, and websites that appeal to diverse social studies students
- Stimulating lessons designed to strengthen student communication and collaboration
- Strategies to help you design your classroom and program to effectively appeal to and motivate the modern social studies student
- Ways to combine high-tech and low-tech strategies to increase student participation and communication
- Expand your “Bag of Tricks” with dozens of effective strategies you can use in almost any social studies lesson at any time of the year
- Alternative assessment design techniques to develop higher-level critical thinking in your students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Unfortunately, the lessons and activities that worked for us years ago do not translate well for our 21st century students. Yet, it can feel like a massive challenge and undertaking to try and reinvent or rethink our curriculum and approaches in order to best engage our students. As social studies teachers we face many difficult tasks. How can we fit it all in? How can we maximize our effectiveness given the time that we have? And now in this current environment – how can we help catch up our students who have fallen behind?
My goal is to provide you with 101 of the best, proven strategies you can use immediately to greatly enhance activities, lessons, units, and your overall social studies program. I have personally used and tested all these strategies, ideas, processes, and approaches with my own students. In this seminar, I will share the best of what I found to be successful.
I designed this seminar expressly with the needs of history/social studies teachers in mind. Like me, you may have left past professional development sessions saying something like, “so they told me what I should be doing, but how do I actually do this in my classroom?” I guarantee, I will provide you with a wealth of great ideas and resources you can take home and apply the very next day in your program.
Each strategy, technique, website, app, and lesson idea that I share can be applied to any area of social studies content. You will be able to easily scaffold and adapt these strategies across varied student ability levels and a variety of circumstances. I want to help you with one of most important issues in our field today – how we can best engage our students and help them be successful with the content. Please join me for a renewing, empowering day full of solutions and answers.
P.S. Be prepared for a thought-invoking and fast-paced learning day full of 101 outstanding strategies you can use immediately!
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 History/Social Studies Teachers
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Research-based and practical strategies, ideal for social studies classrooms
- Strategies to help catch up students who have fallen behind and more successfully engage students in social studies text
- Links, descriptions and walkthroughs of the best apps and websites for teaching social studies
- Detailed descriptions of activities to promote student collaboration and participation
- Innovative ideas on how to implement project-based learning in your social studies classroom
- Creative ways to cover a wide variety of content quickly while maintaining student engagement
Christopher Lange will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.