Enhancing Your SOCIAL STUDIES Instruction: Practical Strategies (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Mark Clements
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12: Social Studies/History Teachers and Administrators
- Significantly increase student learning and engagement in your Social Studies/History classes
- Proven approaches to improve Grades 6-12 students’ retention of key Social Studies concepts
- Free and easy-to-use technology ideas, including web-based tools, resources, Google Classroom and more all perfect for Social Studies/History classes
- Timesaving ideas, strategies, activities, tips and resources
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this seminar designed specifically for Grades 6-12 Social Studies/History teachers, you will discover practical, easy-to-implement strategies to enhance your existing Social Studies program. Learn new ways to deconstruct any state standard in Social Studies, improve student engagement and increase academic results. Strengthen your repertoire of differentiation techniques without adding to your workload. Identify key vocabulary and success criteria, motivate your students with the latest tech tools and explore a variety of instructional practices that benefit student learning.
During this energetic day, outstanding Social Studies educator and national presenter, Mark Clements, will specifically discuss the use of cooperative learning and engagement strategies, the use of maps, graphs, tables, primary and secondary sources as well as the powerful impact flipped classrooms can have on your students. Learn how student goal setting can empower students to further their learning and create autonomy and skills that will transfer beyond the Social Studies classroom. You will leave this highly practical, idea-packed seminar with fully developed lesson plans and resources sure to increase your students’ engagement and bring greater relevance to your Social Studies/History instruction.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Student Learning in Your Grades 6-12 Social Studies Classroom
Effective strategies that enable students to stay “tuned in” to their own learning … Updated strategies to increase student learning in Social Studies/History classes
- Continuously Challenge ALL of Your Students
Specific strategies for engaging the full range of students in your classroom … Enrich, engage and support every student – from highly capable to struggling – using teacher-friendly differentiation strategies
- Increase the Engagement of Grades 6-12 Social Studies Students
Improve student understanding through novelty, high-interest work and stimulating dialogue … Increase student engagement and motivation
- Timesaving Differentiated Instructional Techniques
Uncover teacher-friendly differentiated strategies that tap into your students’ interests and strengths … Enhance your focus on key objectives that make assessments easier and less time consuming for busy teachers
- New, Updated Strategies to Improve Student Collaboration and Civil
Get better cooperation and collaboration results … Improve civil discourse skills while preparing your Social Studies students for participation in a global society
- Discover Practical Strategies to Apply to Your State’s Social Studies Standards
Numerous key elements of effective instruction to deepen and enrich the Social Studies content you’re already teaching … Increase rigor in ways that make sense and are practical to do
- Utilize Powerful Technology Tools … FREE and EASY-TO-USE
Explore a menu of free, easy-to-use motivating technology tools that enhance traditional Social Studies assignments … All tools are free, easy-to-use and align with your current Social Studies curriculum
- Practical Strategies to Increase Students’ Reading and Writing Abilities
Improve student literacy and increase motivation … Practical strategies to ensure your Social Studies students in grades 6-12 develop the literacy skills they need
- Reduce Teacher Take-Home Work
Increase the depth and frequency of student writing without taking home mountains of essays to grade … Increase student feedback and autonomy to regain valuable time
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a highly practical Social Studies/History resource handbook full of ideas, strategies and resources you can immediately implement
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical and proven classroom strategies to incorporate meaningful reading and writing into your Social Studies/History instruction
- Clearly define learning targets and empower students to assess themselves while closing the gap between where they are and where they could be as Social Studies learners
- Powerful reflection techniques that help students deepen their understanding
- Alternative assessment strategies that push student thinking to a higher level
- Increase your students’ comprehension and push them to read more complex text
- Flexible grouping methods that help you reach more students at their instructional levels
- How to simplify vocabulary instruction to increase student acquisition and retention
- Teach students to research and cite material using credible sources for virtually every assignment you require
- Help students appreciate more rigorous writing and project?based assignments, including homework
- Improve student debate and civil discourse using classroom-tested strategies
- Harness the power of blogging, social media and other technology to improve student learning
- Encourage students to become critical thinkers by applying economic concepts to everyday situations
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
For the first time in many years, I see our Social Studies students in Grades 6-12 fired up about our country and democracy. You and I know as Social Studies teachers that the work we do carries ramifications beyond the classroom and extends into our democratic society. Our students’ ability to not just learn ABOUT Social Studies, but to learn FROM Social Studies is imperative to their future. There isn’t a better, nor a more important time to do the work we do.
Would you like to expect more from your students and get it? Would you like to expand your repertoire of time saving, practical strategies? If so, this is a seminar you won’t want to miss! I will share countless, simple and practical strategies for enhancing your Social Studies instruction that can be adapted to any Social Studies course in grades 6?12. We will cover a variety of strategies including ideas to engage and motivate your students, assessment strategies that reduce your take?home work, how to improve student argumentative and nonfiction writing, ways to help students make connections between the past and present to better retain and apply key Social Studies concepts, using social media and much more!
My goal for this seminar is to share with you practical, classroom-proven strategies that improve the learning of ALL students in your Grades 6-12 Social Studies/History classroom. Our day together will be filled with ready-to-use ideas that I know work best in today’s classroom. Our students must be able to locate information, evaluate its reliability, summarize and communicate it effectively. From increased reading and writing skills, to meaningful collaboration, this seminar is designed to enhance your existing Social Studies program. I am excited to show you the plethora of resources to strengthen your repertoire.
I look forward to meeting you and sharing tools and strategies that work!
P.S. Join me for an idea?packed day, hands?on seminar filled with ready?to?use ideas and strategies that will not only help your students achieve but will reduce your workload!
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 Social Studies/History Teachers and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical strategies to increase students’ reading and writing abilities within the context of your Social Studies classroom
- New classroom-tested assessment strategies to reduce teacher workload
- The most effective strategies to improve student efficacy and autonomy while empowering your grades 6-12 Social Studies students
- Differentiate your instruction to meet the needs specific to whole group and individualized needs of your learners, including those in need of remediation or extension
- Innovative ideas to improve content knowledge while simultaneously developing literacy and critical thinking skills
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing grades 6-12 Social Studies instruction.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.