This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Strengthen PHONICS Instruction in Any K-2 Reading Program
Presented by Karen Krey
Specifically Designed for K-2 Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Maximize the effectiveness of phonics instruction using principles that underlie instructional strategies for teaching letter-sound correspondences
- Increase student learning potential by providing ample opportunities for relevant practice and application, especially with students who may have fallen behind
- Tools and techniques for identifying delays in phonological awareness to bridge gaps on the way to phonics
- Model lessons, classroom video segments and an extensive resource handbook filled with practical ideas, strategies and activities that will support you in your efforts to enhance explicit phonics instruction with your K-2 students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Join experienced teacher, literacy leader, staff developer, and instructional reading coach, Karen Krey, in this seminar that will provide you with classroom-tested phonics strategies, methods and activities that can be implemented within any K-2 reading program. According to recent information shared by The International Literacy Association, the key to moving students forward as readers rests on systematic and explicit phonics. These ready-to-use ideas will give you a fresh platform, clarify effective phonics instruction practices and accelerate your students.
During this interactive, hands-on seminar, you will gain insights as you see and hear demonstrations that model powerful methods you will be able to adapt and use immediately. You will learn how to prepare meaningful phonics lessons, apply skills to varying types and levels of texts, and create a classroom climate that encourages metacognitive thinking as well as gradual release of support. Opportunities to strategize with teachers just like you to gain valuable and practical ideas will keep you energized throughout the day.
You will leave this seminar with a wealth of highly practical ideas, strategies and activities to fully incorporate into every minute of your instructional day.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Discover Ways to Reinforce Best Practice Phonics Instruction with Existing Curriculums
More clearly understand current perspectives and research-based recommendations … Connect research and theory to classroom practices
- Elevate and Maximize Differentiated Instruction Through Assessment
Meet your students at their level of learning using easy screening processes … Provide explicit phonics instruction that builds upon and accelerates their knowledge
- Incorporate Powerful Strategies That Systematically Blend New Skills with Known Concepts
Apply strategies that incorporate systematic learning, gradual release of support and student choice
- Explore Strategies to Incorporate Throughout the Day That Employ Active Learning Through Multiple Modalities
Take phonics instruction and strategies to new levels by including learning and application across the school day and content areas … Spill learning into hallways, lunchroom, recess, etc.
- Enhance Your Current Phonics Instruction
Explore model phonics instructional techniques … Incorporate a powerful specific lesson sequence recommended by research
- Implement Phonics Within Instruction vs Isolation to Create Meaningful Connections
Discover ways to practice decoding and phonics within the context of reading instruction … Support students as they make relevant connections that cement processes and raise reading achievement
- Teach, Model and Practice Phonics Skills in Developmentally Appropriate Sequence
Learn ways to explicitly teach lessons aligned to the differentiated needs of learners within your K-2 classrooms
- Phonics Best Practices
Focus on current phonics instruction in your classroom as compared to researched best practices … Consider adjustments that will quickly bridge learning as students connect phonics to reading
- Observe and Participate in Model Experiences of Phonics Strategy Instruction
Learn phonics strategies that enhance student engagement with the benefit of watching them as they are implemented in modeling experiences … Move from theory to practice by placing yourself in the student seat
- Receive an Extensive K-2 Phonics Strategies Resource Handbook
Explore an extensive phonics strategies resource handbook packed with valuable methods, techniques and ideas … Easy-to-implement and ready for immediate use
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Specific strategies that accelerate learning and result in increased levels of decoding fluency
- Incorporate Retrieval Practice to reinforce and cement skill instruction
- Increase students’ confidence with decoding using engaging hands-on and minds-on strategies
- Dozens of specific suggestions and ideas to build transference of knowledge
- Connect the historical context and current research to the most effective classroom practices that answers the “WHY” for what we do
- Innovative strategies to increase student understanding and application of phonics
- Powerful strategies that support your students as they become independent and confident decoders
- Multiple ways to use motivating books to teach essential letter, sound and decoding skills
- Lesson ideas that connect specific phonics skills and practice to engaging mentor texts
- Learn research-proved ways to build systematic and explicit phonics instruction into lessons
- Creative and energizing techniques that won’t take hours to plan or implement
- Opportunities to view phonics instruction in action through video clips in real classrooms
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
“Patterns and morphological relationships are the keys to unlocking pronunciation, spelling, and meaning. All students should be issued these master keys.” – Patricia Cunningham
Every day in classrooms across America, teachers are responsible for countless “aha” moments. YOU might be most powerful of all with K-2 students who come to school eager to decipher the system of letters and sounds that make up our English language. The instructional responsibility is great, and leaves little time to waste. Register for this seminar because you want to get it right, and you long to inspire our youngest generation as they master the nuances of linguistics thereby leading your little ones to the joy of reading.
During our day together, you will collect ideas and strategies to change, adapt and/or tweak your current phonics instruction. Powerful engagement strategies, easy but effective tools, interactive and developmentally appropriate phonics activities, fluency-building work, and much more will all be shared. We will also look at best practices for teaching phonics in systematic and explicit ways for maximum effectiveness.
The day will be packed with teach, model and practice opportunities that are sure to re-energize you and give you new tools to take back and immediately use! All the strategies I share are practical, easy-to-implement, and classroom proven to increase the reading achievement of all your K-2 students. I can’t wait to meet you!
P.S. You will also receive the extensive resource handbook I wrote specifically for this seminar that is filled with the ideas and strategies we will cover, along with other highly practical suggestions to explore on your own!
Who Should Attend
K-2 Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical, ready-to-use strategies to engage your K-2 students with hands-on, minds-on activities
- Current thinking from experts around the teaching of phonics in a systematic and explicit manner
- Games, ideas and activities on copy-ready pages for immediate implementation
- Multiple ways to support the application of phonics instruction across the school day
- Specific ways to connect phonics skills and practice to engaging mentor texts
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their K-2 phonics instruction.
Karen Krey will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.